The Exige is Dead

Maurice

Re: The Exige is Dead

Post by Maurice »

Quick update now that I’ve had the car for a bit longer. In advance of a trip to the Highlands, I elected to have the front, sills and wing PPF’d with XPEL and then the whole thing ceramic coated, as the roads up there are akin to having buckshot fired at the front of the car for hundreds of miles at a time. It came back looking like this:-

After over 1500 miles, suffice to say it doesn’t currently look like that, but the PPF appears to have largely done its job as there’s no immediate damage to the front end.

The trip up north did give me more time to get acquainted with the car and it really is a world apart from the old Exige. The scalpel sharp front end is still taking some getting used to, as is the power. Not that the old one would run out of puff, but the increase in urgency really makes itself known at the top end in the new one. So much so that I’ve not yet really explored the increased rev limit in the “Sport” and “Race” modes.

It does like to sniff cambers more readily, but I’d expect this given the more aggressive geometry. It’s devastating across the right road, albeit perhaps a little too stiff for some of the bumpier single track roads where there is zero margin for error.

I must admit I was a little apprehensive of the Cup 2s given the predicted weather forecast of sub-7 degree temps and driving rain, but needn’t have worried. They really are great in the wet for such an aggressive tyre, only really making their lack of tread pattern known through standing water. Given the steering is so communicative, you’re well warned when the grip levels have reduced as a result. Grip in the dry is unbreakable.

All in all, it’s continued to perform faultlessly and look forward to spending more time with it.

8-)
Last edited by Maurice on Tue May 11, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Those pictures are great 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

Marty (photographer) strikes again. He does produce some awesome shots. 8-)

Apart from that it all looks and sounds rubbish. Paint still looks wet in that top image!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) Lovely.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

They look like you bought a race car and a dodgy set of number plates to take a sneaky road drive 8-)

Dave!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I am consumed with envy. That looks like a dream drive. 8-)
Foz

Post by Foz »

Very nice :D
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

She sits so nicely.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Good report. Very jealous of the Scotland trip..... not sure if I will have a chance to visit this year.

PPF is definitely worth it. I don’t worry about stone chips at all now so guilt-free and not having to be too precious when I hear stones hitting the front end.

When I was on my way up to Scotland last year I encountered over an hour of torrential rain; Cup 2s were very scary :oops: Rubbish in cold AND damp condition too but of course the tyres are not designed for such condition.

No PS4S in 18s though; in fact really limited choice of quality road tyres for my car. :|
scotta

Post by scotta »

Coaster1 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:42 pm Good report. Very jealous of the Scotland trip..... not sure if I will have a chance to visit this year.

PPF is definitely worth it. I don’t worry about stone chips at all now so guilt-free and not having to be too precious when I hear stones hitting the front end.

When I was on my way up to Scotland last year I encountered over an hour of torrential rain; Cup 2s were very scary :oops: Rubbish in cold AND damp condition too but of course the tyres are not designed for such condition.

No PS4S in 18s though; in fact really limited choice of quality road tyres for my car. :|
What sizes?
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

235/40/R18
295/30/R18
scotta

Post by scotta »

Coaster1 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:59 pm 235/40/R18
295/30/R18
You can get Yokohama AO52 in both sizes.

ETA demon tweeks now also listing PS4S in those sizes.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

scotta wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:03 am You can get Yokohama AO52 in both sizes.

Arrrr, just read up on A052.... looks interesting.

Good to know about PS4S too. Thanks.

I really need a set of OZ lightweight wheels :|
scotta

Post by scotta »

Coaster1 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:15 am
scotta wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:03 am You can get Yokohama AO52 in both sizes.

Arrrr, just read up on A052.... looks interesting.

Good to know about PS4S too. Thanks.

I really need a set of OZ lightweight wheels :|
Ive put the AO52's on the Club Racer. They are outstanding. Supposed to grip better than the 888R and also be decent in the wet.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Maurice wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:21 pm Quick update now that I’ve had the car for a bit longer. In advance of a trip to the Highlands, I elected to have the front, sills and wing PPF’d with XPEL and then the whole thing ceramic coated, as the roads up there are akin to having buckshot fired at the front of the car for hundreds of miles at a time. It came back looking like this:-

Looks epic. I remember getting mine back from being polished and ceramic coated. After 15,000 miles it certainly doesn't look like that anymore :(

I think (were I to stomach spending the money), full PPF is the way to go as ceramic coating does nice beady things with water but inherently only provides so much resistance to scratching and swirling.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

@scotta hurry up and do a wet track day and report back :D
GG. wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 am I think (were I to stomach spending the money), full PPF is the way to go as ceramic coating does nice beady things with water but inherently only provides so much resistance to scratching and swirling.
Some of these outfits charge stupid prices.

If you need to have a car done in the future let me know..... one I used are based at Waterlooville in Hampshire but they can travel / have courtesy car. They use Suntek/EXPL and do a lot of ‘complicated’ cars like McLaren, Lotus etc. Owner drives an Atlas Grey 997 also :D
scotta

Post by scotta »

Coaster1 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:51 pm @scotta hurry up and do a wet track day and report back :D
GG. wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 am I think (were I to stomach spending the money), full PPF is the way to go as ceramic coating does nice beady things with water but inherently only provides so much resistance to scratching and swirling.
Some of these outfits charge stupid prices.

If you need to have a car done in the future let me know..... one I used are based at Waterlooville in Hampshire but they can travel / have courtesy car. They use Suntek/EXPL and do a lot of ‘complicated’ cars like McLaren, Lotus etc. Owner drives an Atlas Grey 997 also :D
My mate has them and says they are good in the wet on track.