New new new new Top Gear

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: New new new new Top Gear

Post by Gavin »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:44 am
mik wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:58 pm I mean - it’s not exactly rocket science…
Plumbing, more like it
Dr Reid to the Bajingo ward please
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Might be dead.
How about not having a sig at all?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Seems so. But we already knew that. Harris hinted at it months ago.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

BBC currently still denying it. Feels like boris denying having his birthday bash
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Does feel like that's the end of it. Which is a shame as they'd definitely managed to pull things back in to a good mix of entertainment v decent actual car content with that lineup of presenters. I'm guessing we need to go back to the interwebs now for Chris Harris content.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It was pretty weak anyway - they'd run out of ideas many years ago.

Ironically, when they did proper car reviews (Chris's bit) they did them pretty well. Shame they felt that car reviews were only worth 15% of the run time.
mik

Post by mik »

As we've discussed many times - ratings were achieved by switching from a show about cars, to a show about 3 blokes dicking around with car-related themes. The dicking around tended to bring a few more risks than most TV shows. Invariably using open-face helmets so you can see the emotions.

eg Freddie car bungee, and Paddy on the roof with HH Frentzen driving (which gave me the heebies - I am sure there were some visual enhancements to the peril, but it looked like an easy way to kick a wheel onto the grass, dig in and roll it.

Beany

Post by Beany »

Is that the sort of thing they have on it these days?

Who's it aimed at, nine year olds?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It was a clown show with cars. Thought Harris was wasted on it, probably got remunerated handsomely but he'd have been much better sticking to Youtube IMO. He was lucky to get a 6 minute segment to review a decent car but even then it was dumbed down to the point of being mediocre.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Had to keep chasing the ratings.

Shame really as there’s plenty of other shite on the bbc which must get tiny ratings so why couldn’t they just leave it as a bbc 2 car show. On a Thursday evening at 8:30 if they want.
Cheers, Harry
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Now Chris Harris has had his fame expanded a televised version of Chris Harris on cars would be welcomed by many petrolheads, stock a few celebs in if you must and he can scare the shit out of them on a fast lap of the test track. A fast lap not a sideways lap too
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I can't see them commissioning anything akin to Top Gear if they won't/can't just make new Top Gear, so I suspect that's the end of the road for Harris at the Beeb. The sort of content we'd like to see from him would be far too niche on its own and expensive to make I guess - if there's celeb lap stuff, then why not just make Top Gear.
Cheers,

Mike.
scotta

Post by scotta »

jamcg wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:48 pm Now Chris Harris has had his fame expanded a televised version of Chris Harris on cars would be welcomed by many petrolheads, stock a few celebs in if you must and he can scare the shit out of them on a fast lap of the test track. A fast lap not a sideways lap too
He's doing an increasing number of videos on the collecting cars channel. The Tuthil Porsche one was brilliant.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Monkey mentioned that he had filmed a Bentley in Africa for TG and said it probably would never be shown. :(
scotta

Post by scotta »

MikeHunt wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:18 am Monkey mentioned that he had filmed a Bentley in Africa for TG and said it probably would never be shown. :(
I wonder if he will touch on this in his upcoming book.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I'm sure it will be another dull, contrived adventure with predictable high jinx, mechanical failures and modifications included, no doubt climaxing with how much they've all bonded with their cars...
MattG
Currently Driving: 2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2023 G87 M2 (Incoming)
2023 Mini JCW Hatch

Post by MattG »

Rich B wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:20 pm I'm sure it will be another dull, contrived adventure with predictable high jinx, mechanical failures and modifications included, no doubt climaxing with how much they've all bonded with their cars...
yeh he did allude to having really liked the car, but did also drop in a comment about the parts prices being ruinous for long term ownership etc
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

MattG wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:30 pm yeh he did allude to having really liked the car, but did also drop in a comment about the parts prices being ruinous for long term ownership etc
I did look at a GT when I started hunting for my 550i, I was originally looking at an 850i and for the price of a 2 year old BMW I was looking at a 4/5 year old Bentley and let's just say that the service costs were reassuringly expensive sir.
scotta

Post by scotta »