Absurdly cheap car insurance?

Zonda_

Absurdly cheap car insurance?

Post by Zonda_ »

Partners son is getting quotes for his first car, he has a provisional licence and is 17. Cheapest quote is £250 fully comp! That can’t be right surely!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Absurdly cheap car insurance?

Post by Jobbo »

Insurance on a provisional licence is much cheaper than once you’ve passed the test - still sounds good though!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Ah, didn’t know that. I put it in as though he has a full license and it came back at £1600, still not bad I think.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Nor me. Do you notify the Insurer after passing the test or does it change on renewal ?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

You have to tell them of any change in your license.

And yes, on a provisional it’s massively cheaper because you always have to have a responsible person sat beside you. As soon as you’ve got a full license you can go out and do what ever you like!

We took out a policy for my step daughter as soon as she got a car but was still on a provisional, a few months later when she passed we told them and obviously the monthly charge changed, but the no claims still counted from when the policy was taken out, so she got a years no claims after only actually driving for 8 months or whatever.
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

Some insurers accept a NCB longer than 'licence held', whilst others don't. I go through that nonsense when I renew my wife's insurance. She has 2 years NCB, but has only held her licence for a little over a year. Admiral are fine with that fact. Direct Line are not.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I remember buying insurance for 3 months for my provisional as otherwise I would have to pay whatever they wanted for a full licence or cancel it which would also cost loads.
How about not having a sig at all?