The phallic neck-tie is an outdated symbol of white male rule

mik

The phallic neck-tie is an outdated symbol of white male rule

Post by mik »

Now I have not worn a tie (other than weddings & funerals) for many years, but who knew? :roll:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/comme ... ssion=true
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: The phallic neck-tie is an outdated symbol of white male rule

Post by Gavin »

Cannot stand the bloody things. Pisses me off when dress code stipulates a tie for men and you come in, in the height of summer suited and booted and the ladies in the office are in summery blouses and shorts.
scotta

Post by scotta »

My last office visit i was wearing a pair of jeans and a shirt. Ive also not worn a tie for a good number of years - even to a wedding. Maybe a black tie to a funeral was the last time.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I've never seen it as a sign of "White Male Rule", laughably outdated yes but not symbolic of anything in particular.

However in the case of the New Zealand MP, I can absolutely see why they view it as such.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It does seem to be someone lashing out at a progressive parliament in whatever petty way they can.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:00 am Now I have not worn a tie (other than weddings & funerals) for many years, but who knew? :roll:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/comme ... ssion=true
Same here. Ties have become a little old fashioned. In fact, about the only place I wear one now is at the Races.
mik

Post by mik »

McSwede wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:44 pm
Same here. Ties have become a little old fashioned. In fact, about the only place I wear one now is at the Races.
At the racest? :shock:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:04 pm
McSwede wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:44 pm
At the racest? :shock:
Ha. 😱😱
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Love a good tie, but a cravat is better. 8-)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Can't stand the things either. Can't remember the last time I wore one and I doubt I have any that I'd want to wear now.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
GG.

Post by GG. »

Would you want your lawyer or legislator to wear one though - or should they wear t-shirts as well?

Even when I was last in the office a year ago now, we rarely wear ties other than when meeting clients, etc. but there is a time and a place to do so. Dressing smartly in certain situations is indicative you are taking something seriously and generally puts you in a certain frame of mind also.

I personally do want parliamentarians to dress smartly as they both legislate and represent our country externally. They're already stupid enough so allowing them to dress like students, whilst debating as if they're in a student union, would be a bridge too far :lol:
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Where the hell is Massey university.

Ties went out in medicine over a decade ago for 'infection control' reasons (thought to accumulate bugs and spread them around as seldom washed). When I'm not in scrubs, I like to wear mine still though, because I generally like to go against the grain. I agree with GG that it says to my patient that I am taking them seriously by dressing smartly: some of my colleagues wear scrubs to clinic but I think that implies you have just rushed there (which of course may be true). Most of my clinentelle are in their 70s or more, who I think expect more formal attire of a professional.

I also really like it when I am wearing a particular tie and someone recognises it. I have literally dined out on my St Andrews graduate tie.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

GG. wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:30 pm Would you want your lawyer or legislator to wear one though - or should they wear t-shirts as well?

Even when I was last in the office a year ago now, we rarely wear ties other than when meeting clients, etc. but there is a time and a place to do so. Dressing smartly in certain situations is indicative you are taking something seriously and generally puts you in a certain frame of mind also.

I personally do want parliamentarians to dress smartly as they both legislate and represent our country externally. They're already stupid enough so allowing them to dress like students, whilst debating as if they're in a student union, would be a bridge too far :lol:
All of this.

I haven't worn one in the office for nigh on 20yrs - in my first job out of uni I was one of the first that started testing the boundaries of not wearing one and that seemed to become commonplace fairly quickly.

However, I'll typically still wear one for certain client-facing meetings (and always when meeting new clients for the 1st time), and absolutely wear one for any public-facing events such as consultation events, planning committee meetings and Public Inquiries.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I hate wearing a suit and tie because it makes me look like I’m going to court :lol:

There are ways to dress smartly without a tie.

Personally I’m more interested in whether someone I’m talking to is good at what they do than whether they’re wearing a tie or not.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:22 pm in my first job out of uni I was one of the first that started testing the boundaries of not wearing one and that seemed to become commonplace fairly quickly.
Same for me - I'd keep a tie in my desk drawer for when clients were on site but that was it.

My current employer went fully casual about 3 years ago. Only exception is if I've a meeting with the CEO but this just means I'll wear a shirt, rather than a T-Shirt and shoes, rather than trainers

I now only have 1 suit (Weddings, funerals, Posh Dinners) but as it's not worn every week, I spent a bit of cash and got quite a nice Hugo Boss one. Charcoal Grey, Crisp White Shirt and Black tie is my go to look - for weddings and funerals... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

One of the joys of not working in an office- I think I’ve worn a tie maybe 5 times since I left school 😂
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:29 am There are ways to dress smartly without a tie.

Personally I’m more interested in whether someone I’m talking to is good at what they do than whether they’re wearing a tie or not.
Yes, but not everyone thinks that way ;)
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

When my thyroid was bad, ties or anything around the neck were uncomfortable.

I had one contract where I turned up in a suit and an open top button and was told that I needed to be wearing a tie. I've not worn a tie outside of hatchings, matchings or despatchings since.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:18 am
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:29 am There are ways to dress smartly without a tie.

Yes, but not everyone thinks that way ;)

True, most of the company reps I meet wear suit and tie and end up looking a bit uncomfortable in an office full of goths :lol:
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:20 am When my thyroid was bad, ties or anything around the neck were uncomfortable.

I had one contract where I turned up in a suit and an open top button and was told that I needed to be wearing a tie. I've not worn a tie outside of hatchings, matchings or despatchings since.
I had a similar experience at an interview with Computacentre, many years ago. Not a client facing position.

I walked out.