New car/van?

Broccers

Re: New car/van?

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:16 pm OK - someone has recommended the purchase of a Saayong vehicle.

@Matty - please close the forum now. It’s all over guys.

:cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Vans are expensive at the moment as its the new go to job for the redundant.
Nic

Post by Nic »

I have a viano at the moment, I wouldn’t avoid the 2.1/2.2 engine as they are easily capable of 300,000 miles.

Common faults with the engine are injector seals going and causing ‘black death’ - worth a google but pre emptive maintenance reduces it to a non issue. Viano has air suspension at the rear for self levelling which a Vito usually won’t. Worst thing about it is the £565 a year road tax. Post 07 vans are apparently galvanised so don’t rot out as badly.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Nic wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:56 pm I have a viano at the moment, I wouldn’t avoid the 2.1/2.2 engine as they are easily capable of 300,000 miles.

Common faults with the engine are injector seals going and causing ‘black death’ - worth a google but pre emptive maintenance reduces it to a non issue. Viano has air suspension at the rear for self levelling which a Vito usually won’t. Worst thing about it is the £565 a year road tax. Post 07 vans are apparently galvanised so don’t rot out as badly.
Ah cheers. Is yours XLWB and if so, can you in fact slide seats forward to fit bikes in?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Mines a lwb, I was looking for a XL but they’re quite hard to find (for what I wanted to pay) so I’ll take the towbar off my Vito and put it on this to use for a bike rack/get a tailgate mounted one and beef up the struts. Muddy bikes going back in to the van would annoy me so I’ll probably go for an external rack anyway.

This is the only picture I have of mine, it’s also pretty crap on fuel but needs a thermostat as it’s running cold which help a bit but average is around 22mpg. I’m sure it’s been remapped badly as it’ll rev to the red line with ease with very little throttle. For what and how often I’ll use it I don’t really care about that as it seems perfectly reliable.
Last edited by Nic on Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
scotta

Post by scotta »

You like Volvo’s. Buy an XC90 with 7 seats.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Nic wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:10 am Mines a lwb, I was looking for a XL but they’re quite hard to find (for what I wanted to pay) so I’ll take the towbar off my Vito and put it on this to use for a bike rack/get a tailgate mounted one and beef up the struts. Muddy bikes going back in to the van would annoy me so I’ll probably go for an external rack anyway.
I am now confused, have you just got a Viano and getting rid of a Vito? I would take a Vito if it was just me but sadly I apparently have to take others' needs into account.

I will get one with a towbar or fit one as I have a tow rack but mostly it is just my wife and I and we can sneak off for a few hours easily enough, now the kids are older but it would save time and hassle to stick two inside. I suspect rubber matting and tarps will be needed!

A Brabus Sport X LWB would do me just fine but seem to be a bit over budget sadly.

Almost all the Vianos I am looking at have been XLWB though, I am hoping for 2011 onwards for the facelift and slightly nicer dash
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

scotta wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:13 am You like Volvo’s. Buy an XC90 with 7 seats.
I did suggest just this as it ticks the "take kids' chums to beach" and it would be comfy and safe but it is not as practical as a van based vehicle so was discounted out of hand.

We do often use the Bongo to picnic in when out and about.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Yes I have both, I’ll be getting rid of the Vito. My budget was £3k so I think we’re looking at opposite ends of the market here :D
Nic

Post by Nic »

Gavin wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:20 am
scotta wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:13 am You like Volvo’s. Buy an XC90 with 7 seats.
I did suggest just this as it ticks the "take kids' chums to beach" and it would be comfy and safe but it is not as practical as a van based vehicle so was discounted out of hand.

We do often use the Bongo to picnic in when out and about.
I do agree with that, a van based vehicle fills a different role to a 7 seat SUV.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Nic wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:21 am Yes I have both, I’ll be getting rid of the Vito. My budget was £3k so I think we’re looking at opposite ends of the market here :D
Ah OK. Not quite opposite, I have seen nearly new V classes at £75k! :shock:

Seems to be loads in my budget, in the right spec and the right age but have 200k miles on them. Even though I can see many people are running around with 300k to 500k on them it still feels a big mileage to spend the best part of ten grand on.

If we had just stuck with 1 kid I could have just bought a bloody van! :)
Nic

Post by Nic »

Mines got 215k on it, you’d never tell from driving it, outside it’s three different shades of silver but surprisingly not rusty, it’s great to leave in remote places and you don’t mind driving it down on to the sands or feeling precious about it.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Nic wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:29 am Mines got 215k on it, you’d never tell from driving it, outside it’s three different shades of silver but surprisingly not rusty, it’s great to leave in remote places and you don’t mind driving it down on to the sands or feeling precious about it.
Maybe one with higher miles but that has just had major service would be sensible then. Just a pest I cannot get out and look.

Thanks for the help though, have you a pic of yours? What age is it?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Picture above, it’s a 59 plate so around 10 years old.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Ah, sorry, my PC was playing sill buggers so it hadn't shown.

That looks lovely. you paid £3k for it????? FFS that would do me well enough, it is simply the high mileage with high price that puts me off, one on it's own not so bad!

It looks plenty long enough to stick bikes in?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Depends how many seats you want in it I guess, I’ll measure the interior length when I get a minute. I waited and looked for a while before getting this, it was originally for sale for £4700 (I think) then it dropped down to £3600 after 3-4 weeks and I eventually paid £3k for it.

It’s quite low spec, just auto, leather, air con and cruise and only two individual front seats (total of eight) which is what I wanted, sunroofs and electric sliding doors would be great but more to go wrong and I have the other cars to use daily.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Sounds like a total bargain and perfect for your needs. I must admit sunroofs and heated seats would be nice.

Just not that many for sale anywhere near me just now and I guess it will be a while before I would be allowed to travel to buy anything anyway! :D

Thank you, measuring much appreciated.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Nic wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:56 pm I have a viano at the moment...
Have you still got the Cayenne ? I'm having a quandry about a van vs. a nice 4x4. Needs to be able to tow a trailer of course.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:28 pm
Nic wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:56 pm I have a viano at the moment...
Have you still got the Cayenne ? I'm having a quandry about a van vs. a nice 4x4. Needs to be able to tow a trailer of course.
Yes still have the Cayenne.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Gavin wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:58 am Sounds like a total bargain and perfect for your needs. I must admit sunroofs and heated seats would be nice.

Just not that many for sale anywhere near me just now and I guess it will be a while before I would be allowed to travel to buy anything anyway! :D

I’m in work tomorrow, I’ll measure it then.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Nic wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:59 pm
Gavin wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:58 am Sounds like a total bargain and perfect for your needs. I must admit sunroofs and heated seats would be nice.

I’m in work tomorrow, I’ll measure it then.
Thank you, much appreciated.