New car/van?

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

New car/van?

Post by Gavin »

We have decided the Bongo is not for us, so I was looking froward to getting something nippy but apparently we still want a van.

We would still like 6 or more seats, would like to be able to pop two bikes in the back and be able to go uphill without slowing down. We like the table we put up in ours to have picnics when out and about

Someone mentioned Vito/Viano on another thread and they look god but mostly seem to be quite cheap and pre galvanisation or huge miles or mega dear.

I do quite like them although slightly more stealthy after the bright green Bongo.

Not really fancying the VW as they seem to be slow and low spec and more expensive.

LeGrande's appeal but not the running costs and possibility of rust fighting.

i800 seem too small.

Any thoughts from the OV9 brain trust?
mik

Re: New car/van?

Post by mik »

Far more spacious, far less compromised living space, massively cheaper to buy and run, you set it up once when you arrive, and then get to drive around in a decent car.

Edit: for examples. Layout might not suit your needs but it gives you an idea of how the interiors of the German brands (Fendt/Hobby) looked like 9 years ago. This one needs a couple of items fixing, and there should be collapsing tables that make beds for the main and side seating areas, but for £5k cash.... (watch the vid)
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/caravan-de ... t_caravans#
Last edited by mik on Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

A caravan seems like a lot of hassle as a way of carrying bikes and having a picnic.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

No rust issues and looks like a black cab so stealthy.

Edit - will go up a hill without losing speed too.
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Gavin wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:57 am Someone mentioned Vito/Viano on another thread...
That was me. I'm still flip-flopping over whether I want a van or a 4x4. Viano seems to be the most posh of all the van options, from ~2006 the Vito/Viano was available with a 3.0 V6 diesel that's decently powerful (for a van) so would be the one to go for.

What specifically don't you like about the Bongo ? Size ? Power ? Fuel consumption ? Are you needing six seats *and* bikes at the same time ?

Also, what's the budget ? We might be in moon/stick territory :)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Crew cab transit pick up 🙂
An absolute unit
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:51 pm
Gavin wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:57 am Someone mentioned Vito/Viano on another thread...
That was me. I'm still flip-flopping over whether I want a van or a 4x4. Viano seems to be the most posh of all the van options, from ~2006 the Vito/Viano was available with a 3.0 V6 diesel that's decently powerful (for a van) so would be the one to go for.

What specifically don't you like about the Bongo ? Size ? Power ? Fuel consumption ? Are you needing six seats *and* bikes at the same time ?

Also, what's the budget ? We might be in moon/stick territory :)
Glad someone is taking this seriously! :D Bongo - slow, rusting again! shit MPG despite being slow, lack of LPG availability.

No, the idea would be MPV as in multi purpose so would have two bikes and only need front seats. I have a tow bar rack if we all go but the kids are fair weather cyclists at best! I believe that two do fit in an XLWB Viano with the seats shoved forward but can have it configured for rows facing in the back and some come with two armchairs with the foldy table thingy.

I have been advised by a Bongo dealer to stick it up at £6.5 but with the wiggle to reduce it down as it does need the lower half painted again but the van is pretty solid and has a few mod cons.

TBH I reckon if I get over £4.5 for it I will be happy, budget in total probably £10kish unless something stonking comes up at a wee bit more but given the new bathroom, shed, garden office room and various other bits an bobs going on, would rather spend less!
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:02 pm Crew cab transit pick up 🙂
Too van like, I looked at the Vivaro option but they tend to be bench seats and not really that great for longer trips. Quite a few of the JDM minivans would work, but all seem to do dismal MPG and seem to be auto and petrol.

Shame as they are probably better for fitting in parking spaces!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, that’s about standard for JDM mpvs.

Sounds like you really want something like a Ford Galaxy or big suv tbh.
An absolute unit
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:11 pm Yeah, that’s about standard for JDM mpvs.

Sounds like you really want something like a Ford Galaxy or big suv tbh.
The VW Combi style appeals but the kids prefer the luxury of the Viano and the Viano can be easily made into a Vito by taking out the rear bench so best of both worlds I guess.

Big SUV you cannot throw the bikes in complete and we did like the van for day trips so something like the Viano would be perfect, I am hoping someone knows of a cheaper alternative that goes faster, does more MPG and also moon on a stick etc! :D
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Delica ?

(other suspension options available)
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I think they look great but are just as rust prone, as all JDM seem to be. It is a shame as the Alphard, Elysium (?) and a few others look like the seating is flexible to carry 6 or 7 or 2 with bikes but not keen on the while under sealing and respraying every few years.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:57 am Image

No rust issues and looks like a black cab so stealthy.

Edit - will go up a hill without losing speed too.
I imagine hills bow down before it?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Yeah, I quite fancied a Delica for the van-like carrying capacity and a proper 4x4 drivetrain but my wife hates them for some reason so there was an outright veto.

Viano should be possible for £10k. Take a look at some, even if they're slightly out of budget, get a feel for what they're like.
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

The later ssangyong rodius have surprisingly versatile interiors and they don't look so bad anymore. In some arrangements you can take out two rear rows and one seat from the second row to give an enormous space and still have 4 decent seats.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Peterlplp wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:44 pm The later ssangyong rodius have surprisingly versatile interiors and they don't look so bad anymore. In some arrangements you can take out two rear rows and one seat from the second row to give an enormous space and still have 4 decent seats.
Just googled and they are seriously ugly. Not a bad shout for versatility but I am not sure I have ever actually seen one in the metal.
mik

Post by mik »

OK - someone has recommended the purchase of a Saayong vehicle.

@Matty - please close the forum now. It’s all over guys.

:cry:
Beany

Post by Beany »

mik wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:16 pm OK - someone has recommended the purchase of a Saayong vehicle.

@Matty - please close the forum now. It’s all over guys.

:cry:
+1. Just nuke the webroot Matty, it's not worth it.
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

We are talking about replacements for a bongo, not an exige (cherry x1r, by the way), so another ugly big gulp van is apt.

I'm thinking that there might be something wrong with the bongo anyway. Friendees are popular down here with Polynesian families and a trip to church on Sunday would see them carrying a heftier load than you'd ever need and they don't hang about.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Peterlplp wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:52 pm We are talking about replacements for a bongo, not an exige (cherry x1r, by the way), so another ugly big gulp van is apt.

I'm thinking that there might be something wrong with the bongo anyway. Friendees are popular down here with Polynesian families and a trip to church on Sunday would see them carrying a heftier load than you'd ever need and they don't hang about.
Mine runs fine, it is just a large brick shape with a 2.0 petrol n/a engine in it with the world's oldest and sloppiest auto box.

There is a 2.5 V6 petrol option and a diesel option, both of which are slightly faster.