Post by SSO »

Just posted a new karenable blog on the Supercar Market as of Q3 2020:

https://karenable.com/supercar-market-update-q3-2020/

Comments?

Thoughts?
RobYob

Re: Supercar Market Update Q3 2020

Post by RobYob »

I guess the situation is still hold-hold-hold. I suppose the key question is when/if this will turn into distressed sales and perhaps a collapse of "The Bubble"

The glut of supercars is somewhat analogous to the glut of all cars, the writing has been on the wall for a while that global production was outstripping demand and propped up by easy credit.

Speculatively...
Will Mercedes buy a little or a lot more of AML?
Will VAG sell or further "align" Lamborghini/Bugatti/Porsche?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

The decline in prices of the Daytona is interesting. I wonder what the average age of a buyer is.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
SSO

Post by SSO »

RobYob wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:05 pm I guess the situation is still hold-hold-hold. I suppose the key question is when/if this will turn into distressed sales and perhaps a collapse of "The Bubble"

The glut of supercars is somewhat analogous to the glut of all cars, the writing has been on the wall for a while that global production was outstripping demand and propped up by easy credit.

Speculatively...
Don't see Mercedes acquiring AML, it doesn't help them in any way, its just a distraction

Yes on VAG but further alignment will be across Lambo/Audi/Bentley
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:35 pm The decline in prices of the Daytona is interesting. I wonder what the average age of a buyer is.
Of the ones that I dealt with, I'd say only one was under 60, and that was Chris Evans, who is more of a dealer than an owner.
The market shift with generations is nothing new. When collecting cars was first a 'thing' in the late 70s, the fast appreciating cars were the roaring 20's luxury models. When I was in the specilaist trade full time 2010-13 it was clear that the market for 1950s cars was thinning significantly. The only model that comes to mind pre-1970 (aside from rare model Ferraris) that appeals to purchasers of all ages is a 356 Speedster.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Jimexpl wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:45 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:35 pm The decline in prices of the Daytona is interesting. I wonder what the average age of a buyer is.
Of the ones that I dealt with, I'd say only one was under 60, and that was Chris Evans, who is more of a dealer than an owner.
The market shift with generations is nothing new. When collecting cars was first a 'thing' in the late 70s, the fast appreciating cars were the roaring 20's luxury models. When I was in the specilaist trade full time 2010-13 it was clear that the market for 1950s cars was thinning significantly. The only model that comes to mind pre-1970 (aside from rare model Ferraris) that appeals to purchasers of all ages is a 356 Speedster.
Most of the Daytona owners I know are in their late 50s, early 60s. The Daytona is about the oldest car they own as they tend to have other cars from the 90s to present in the garage. It also seems that they are using the Daytona less and less every year.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

SSO wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:10 pm
RobYob wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:05 pm Speculatively...
Don't see Mercedes acquiring AML, it doesn't help them in any way, its just a distraction
...https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-ast ... rtin/43287
8-)
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

SSO wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:52 pm
Most of the Daytona owners I know are in their late 50s, early 60s. The Daytona is about the oldest car they own as they tend to have other cars from the 90s to present in the garage. It also seems that they are using the Daytona less and less every year.
When it was my main job, the 365GTC/4 appealed to a younger buyer - I sold one which we shipped to NY as a wedding present! The lower entry price will have helped though. To drive I'd have one over a Daytona, and aside from taking a bit of care starting (six carbs never like it very hot or freezing), the power steering and a/c make them as easy to live with as a car from the late 80s.
SSO

Post by SSO »

RobYob wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:54 pm
SSO wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:10 pm
RobYob wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:05 pm Speculatively...
...https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-ast ... rtin/43287
8-)
That a long way from acquiring control. But it is a smart move by Mercedes, if Aton makes it, then they can buy control and its an easy integration as Aston will already be using their tech. If Aston fails or needs more cash, they are not on the hook for it.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Jimexpl wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:46 pm
SSO wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:52 pm
When it was my main job, the 365GTC/4 appealed to a younger buyer - I sold one which we shipped to NY as a wedding present! The lower entry price will have helped though. To drive I'd have one over a Daytona, and aside from taking a bit of care starting (six carbs never like it very hot or freezing), the power steering and a/c make them as easy to live with as a car from the late 80s.
I drove a 365GTC/4 years ago and found it very soft. Power steering definitely a bit more pleasant to use vs. the Daytonas truck like approach.