£7k small, fun, new-ish hatchback?

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: £7k small, fun, new-ish hatchback?

Post by JonMad »

Cheers for all the ideas.

Yeti :D I'd probably want the 1.8 Turbo for a bit of poke. Might be an older one for the amount of money that I'm thinking of.
CItigo: I persuaded a friend into a '66 plate one and she is happy with it (but likes her Mini more). Possibly not the warm hatch I am thinking of but I'd have one over a non-GTi Up! And not just to get 3 different Skodas on the driveway.
Zoe: This had crossed my mind as the previous shape one got decent reviews and had a reasonable range iirc. As you suggest, £50/month for 4,500 miles/yr battery lease looks about the same as it would cost for fuel for the same mileage, but yes it would be an interesting thing to run and to drive, in that EV way.
Left over crest; tightens.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Rich B wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:40 pm
simon_g wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:40 pm Battery will be leased but the cost of that should be neutral compared to buying petrol. Explained well here: https://www.gogreenautos.co.uk/buyers-g ... -explained
so seeing as you then have to put electricity in too, they're more expensive to run...?
Depends what you’re comparing to but for many the lease is a bit less than fuel so it leaves a bit to cover the extra electricity.

I’d expect 35mpg is doing well for something like a Swift Sport on mostly shorter trips, so £900ish in fuel to do 6k miles a year.

Zoe battery lease for the same is £708. Say 4mi/kWh and a bit of charging loss and being pessimistic it’s about 2000kWh of power for the year. £100 on one of the cheap overnight (5p/kWh) tariffs, lots offer them now with smart meters.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

The whole idea with battery leasing is you can have upfront price parity (which has pretty much held secondhand) but ongoing costs similar to an ICE car, or you can pay more upfront to own the battery but have much lower running costs. It was also to ease some of the early anxiety about battery degradation.

New Zoes are battery owned only.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

simon_g wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:33 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:40 pm
simon_g wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:40 pm Battery will be leased but the cost of that should be neutral compared to buying petrol. Explained well here: https://www.gogreenautos.co.uk/buyers-g ... -explained
so seeing as you then have to put electricity in too, they're more expensive to run...?
Depends what you’re comparing to but for many the lease is a bit less than fuel so it leaves a bit to cover the extra electricity.

I’d expect 35mpg is doing well for something like a Swift Sport on mostly shorter trips, so £900ish in fuel to do 6k miles a year.

Zoe battery lease for the same is £708. Say 4mi/kWh and a bit of charging loss and being pessimistic it’s about 2000kWh of power for the year. £100 on one of the cheap overnight (5p/kWh) tariffs, lots offer them now with smart meters.
in summary, the Zoe is no cheaper than a similar sized car with a decent sized petrol engine. Yet is much slower, much less convenient. (And that's using very pessimistic mpg figures and very optimistic electricity figures).
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Very different power/torque curves, the Zoe doesn’t feel anything like how a 89bhp ICE car does. Which is why I suggested trying one.

Inconvenient? I finding visiting petrol stations pretty inconvenient.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

simon_g wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:26 pm Very different power/torque curves, the Zoe doesn’t feel anything like how a 89bhp ICE car does. Which is why I suggested trying one.

Christ, there's an 89bhp one?! I've just read that the 109bhp one does 0-60 in 11.4 seconds and tops out at 84mph! 😂
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

But think of the savings.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:34 pm But think of the savings.
Thats the point, there aren't any!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

:lol:
But think of the planet!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Think of the service station coffee shop turnover?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s entirely normal to stop every hour when you drive for a comfort break and refreshment so may as well charge the car as you do that 😉
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Fiesta st is the obvious choice. Maybe if you keep suggesting it she will get bored and agree or look into some influencing other techniques to make it her idea.

Else economics and buy something like https://www.jamespaul.co.uk/bmw-135i-m- ... ey-6644497
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Rich B wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:35 pm
Mito Man wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:34 pm But think of the savings.
Thats the point, there aren't any!

What would Greta say though? Lol
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Rich B wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:31 pm
simon_g wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:26 pm Very different power/torque curves, the Zoe doesn’t feel anything like how a 89bhp ICE car does. Which is why I suggested trying one.

Christ, there's an 89bhp one?! I've just read that the 109bhp one does 0-60 in 11.4 seconds and tops out at 84mph! 😂
It’s interesting, we’ve spent our lives having a decent idea of how quick a car will feel or what it will be like to drive based on numbers like those. It doesn’t translate well to EVs, particularly for the humdrum everyday driving rather than attacking B-roads.

Not really used to dyno plots like this:

I have an EV for all the boring everyday stuff because I really like how they drive. Cost and eco considerations are much lower.
Beany

Post by Beany »

160lb/ft from literally zero is going to be an entertaining amount of torque around town, I imagine.

I can see the appeal for something you want to just do the boring stuff. I'll leave the economics to those who give enough of a toss about it :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

simon_g wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:20 pm

It’s interesting, we’ve spent our lives having a decent idea of how quick a car will feel or what it will be like to drive based on numbers like those. It doesn’t translate well to EVs, particularly for the humdrum everyday driving rather than attacking B-roads.

I have an EV for all the boring everyday stuff because I really like how they drive. Cost and eco considerations are much lower.
Not much point explaining it to Rich - you may as well try to sell him a green-painted Tesla Model S 😄
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Shlergen wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:46 pm Fiesta st is the obvious choice. Maybe if you keep suggesting it she will get bored and agree or look into some influencing other techniques to make it her idea.

Else economics and buy something like https://www.jamespaul.co.uk/bmw-135i-m- ... ey-6644497
Imagine owning that back in 2010 8-)
Real-life Females
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Funnily enough the 130i is what I first had my eye on.

I think I’ve gone off the idea of a Pre-2019 Zoe. First the range on those wasn’t so good and second I just spotted the damn audio control stalk which is the same one I had in my Megane and it drove me mental.
Left over crest; tightens.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

simon_g wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:20 pm

That torque curve IS the reason I find them dull. It’s the reason I sold my diesel golf. Blah blah practical but when you accelerate and think ooh that’s nice, you ask for more and there is nothing left.

We looked at the Zoe lease deals, I think it was 180 a month in total and 6000 miles a year, we would equal the fuel costs in our Audi TT not including charging but obviously it was brand new, warranty etc. It was just joyless.

Also I found having to listen to music was a pain as without the background hum of an engine the normal road noises, car interior noises etc were annoying.

Compared to a 60hp super mini it is absolutely no contest for us.

I think things change if you regularly drive into a town, parking charges, congestion zones, heavy traffic etc.

Dave!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

1-Series or the Swift sound good to me.

Surprised you're considering an up! as a family car as the kids get bigger, aren't they *tiny* ?