D' ya like Dags???

ZedLeg

Re: D' ya like Dags???

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:43 am
ZedLeg wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:40 am
Rich B wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:39 am So we need a new specific phrase for the Cunts who pitch up illegally in their caravans on people's land and start a crime spree.
I think criminal fits, no?
why did you use junkie then?
That’s fair, probably showing my own prejudice a bit there.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:44 am
ZedLeg wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:42 am
Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:39 am

Not exactly a full etymology, that.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikey
Yes, read that and my edit above. I think this is an instance where the non-law abiding types are weaponising the term to their own advantage.
Either way, if you stop using the term it solves the problem of it’s usage no?
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:48 am
Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:44 am
ZedLeg wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:42 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikey
Yes, read that and my edit above. I think this is an instance where the non-law abiding types are weaponising the term to their own advantage.
That’s a facile argument. If I told you I considered the word ‘bungalow’ to be unacceptable because it originated in the British occupation of India, would you stop using it?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Gavin wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:35 am We have a gypsy fair on our village green every year, for the last 399. When I moved into the village a few of the older residents warned me to lock everything cos bla bla bla.

They do get rules to abide by on the green and most do, there is never an upsurge in thefts, unless you count idiots getting their palms read as theft.

Worst we are left with after their three days is a scorched circle or two from their fires and a few bits of litter but certainly no worse than local litter dropping.

I have to say "pikey scum" tends to mean thieving buggers, I am not entirely sure if I had even heard pikey until I saw snatch for the first time (the film for those of you sniggering) :)

When I worked in retail we did have loads of traveler kids come in and abuse our Pakistani colleague for not fixing a broken TV so it is possible, like in every walk of life, that some people from every group are "good guys" some are "wanks"
Where as we have 2/3 (not sure if one has gone now) permanent sites around the outskirts of our village and I am involved in another area and they have a permanent site too. These areas have always suffered from criminal acts perpetrated by this minority (in this case Irish travellers and not gypsies). Having been victim to these acts at least 3 times in my life the disproportion in occurrence from such a minority in numbers doesn’t paint them in a good light.

Having this experience the word pikey I have been aware of for probably 40 years now. When you have the proximity and they regularly invade the common land (in my youth) leaving behind all manner of rubbish and yes it did look like the site in snatch, it’s hardly surprising.

There is also a distinct difference between gypsies and travellers which has become blurred. My relatives who descend from Romani take great offence to be lumped in with travellers (calling them didicois, a sort of fake gypsy in Romani) and personal experience bares this out with my own interaction with true Romani folk being very positive.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:56 am
ZedLeg wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:48 am
Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:44 am Yes, read that and my edit above. I think this is an instance where the non-law abiding types are weaponising the term to their own advantage.
That’s a facile argument. If I told you I considered the word ‘bungalow’ to be unacceptable because it originated in the British occupation of India, would you stop using it?
Why not? It’s not like there aren’t other words to use.

Why is it so important that you’re able to call travellers pikeys?

Language changes constantly. There are words we used 100 years ago that wouldn’t be acceptable now and I’m sure there are words we use now that won’t be acceptable in 100 years.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I'm going to take your advice and just call them criminals. I hope they're less offended by this.
Last edited by Rich B on Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

An absolute unit
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

What is an SJW? I seem to ned some sort of urban dictionary on here, woke, terf SJW... :)

So given pikey is offensive and we seem to have a disconnect between gypsies (good guys) and Irish travelers (wanks) could pikey apply to the ones we actively dislike and are causing bother? Perhaps a national ad campaign to make people aware that pikey means thieving scum, with no link to gypsy? :lol: :roll:
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Thread drift, but how do they pay for their brand new Audis/Mercs etc? I can't imagine Mercedes take cash for their £50k cars?

And how do they tax/insure without addresses or bank accounts?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

They rob, steal, protection money etc.

They wanted protection money from Ideal Home in Peterborough. They declined as they had their own security team.

It burnt to the ground a couple of days later.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2836445.stm

Cheeky scamps are just mid-understood.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

240PP wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:43 pm Thread drift, but how do they pay for their brand new Audis/Mercs etc? I can't imagine Mercedes take cash for their £50k cars?

And how do they tax/insure without addresses or bank accounts?
The same way any organised criminals do. Front businesses and dodgy accountants.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

V8Granite wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:14 pm
Cheeky scamps are just mid-understood.

Dave!
Does that mean they are somewhat understood? ;)
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

We had Pikeys break into our work car park the other weekend and set up camp. When we wouldn't pay the £30k they demanded, they wiped shit all over the exterior of the building and shat in the planters before the Bailiffs removed them.

Dirty thieving scumbags!!
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Fuck off. I'll call a pikey a pikey and that's that. If i see a van full of pikeys knicking shit, I'll call the cops. They'll ask who was in the van, I'll say pikeys and they'll know the type they're looking for. Ask me how I know this.

You can skirt around it all you like, but we all know what a pikey is.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Can you call them cops anymore?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

They're just criminals, every single one of them*.

* is that better Z?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

To be clear, when this started it was cause I answered a question about why people don’t say pikey. I never told any of you to stop doing it. I realised that you lot and I don’t share similar views about pretty much anything a long time ago :lol:.

Say what you like, just know that I’ll be judging you for it 😉
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I'd like to think that we've worn you down by a similar amount to how much you've educated us mate! Hopefully we're all ending these discussions with a smile on our faces if nothing else!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’m probably more to the left now than I was ten years ago tbh :lol:

It’s all just banter round here though.
An absolute unit
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

I've only done a quick scan over this thread, so to save me ages, do we now have to call the travelling community bungalows?