The "anything & everything" about Porsche Boxsters thread

Explosive Newt

Re: The "anything & everything" about Porsche Boxsters thread

Post by Explosive Newt »

I hope it finds a good home. I'm genuinely tempted but I don't think owning a rag-top without a garage to put it in at this time of year is a good idea.... in the summer I'm either buying a house with a garage and a new convertible or a house without a garage and a Cayman! Or maybe both... :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:52 am I hope it finds a good home. I'm genuinely tempted but I don't think owning a rag-top without a garage to put it in at this time of year is a good idea.... in the summer I'm either buying a house with a garage and a new convertible or a house without a garage and a Cayman! Or maybe both... :lol:
Buy it - only going to go up in value in summer :)
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Just noticed, when I put the top down, there's a small gap above the brake light - its a uniform gap all the way along. I've had a look and there's no obstructions, no damage, mechanism looks new and if I lightly push down on it, the clamshell sits flush.

Is it worth greasing it or does it maybe just need a new motor or something? Have you seen that before @Broccers ?

I'm wondering if its a push rod. Most of the other similar topics have some sort of damage/blockage stopping the clamshell coming down on one side only so Its clear that "something" has happened or needs replaced on that side.

Apparently the “linkage” needs adjusted according to the 987 FB page…
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I'm never selling a car privately again. Fuck this shit.

:D
Cheers,

Mike.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Ascender wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:58 pm I'm never selling a car privately again. Fuck this shit.

:lol:

I hate it, but the cost savings of buying/selling private are massive. I'd rather have an extra £2-3k in my pocket.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Ascender wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:58 pm I'm never selling a car privately again. Fuck this shit.

And some people get upset when main dealers mark cars up to make a profit- they have to deal with the general public every day!
Attainable sports cars £10-25k are nearly always a challenge to shift privately. Dreamers, chancers, overly knowledgable forum readers, you get all of them!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I was going to ask if dealers get this shit or the dodgy imbeciles just stick to private sales. Guess this answers it.
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Ascender wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:03 pm
Easy to do?

The problem with selling a drop top in winter is everyone expects a bargain. Id wait untill June. Worst case is you keep it and enjoy it when it's sunny. 😎
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Broccers wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:36 am
Ascender wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:03 pm
Easy to do?

The problem with selling a drop top in winter is everyone expects a bargain. Id wait untill June. Worst case is you keep it and enjoy it when it's sunny. 😎
Turns out that this often happens and the "fix" is to drive for a few minutes and it drops the final few centimetres. So 9 times out of 10, you'll never know if its happened or not because you'll never see it. So a total non-issue, unless someone who's come to see the car thinks its a sign that the IMS is about to let loose and kill the engine.

I read this online last night and curiosity got the better of me so stuck a wooly hat on, popped out in my slippers, dropped the top and went for a wee drive like some sort of deranged loon. Pulled over after a mile and the clamshell was perfectly flush.

Yeah, I could keep the car until the spring/summer and I'm sure it would go quickly, but its not an option.
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Glad its sorted. Can't you part ex the boxster ;) :D
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Just pointed your ad at a mate who is getting itchy about getting a Boxster or Cayman
Left over crest; tightens.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

JonMad wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:02 pm Just pointed your ad at a mate who is getting itchy about getting a Boxster or Cayman
Thanks Jon 👍🏻

I think its destined for the trade one way or another, but I'm fine with that.
Cheers,

Mike.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Feedback as follows, just for your interest.
Very nice. Not in a position to do anything just yet, but will bear it in mind. Date of registration puts it into the high car tax band mind you.

Mileage will put a few off as well as it’ll turn over 100k in the next ownership. Seems to have done all the rights bit to it though and the CarPlay is a boon if you want it as a daily.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

JonMad wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:44 am Feedback as follows, just for your interest.
Very nice. Not in a position to do anything just yet, but will bear it in mind. Date of registration puts it into the high car tax band mind you.

Mileage will put a few off as well as it’ll turn over 100k in the next ownership. Seems to have done all the rights bit to it though and the CarPlay is a boon if you want it as a daily.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought, so good to know I wasn't far off. The 100k thing is interesting though, because apart from those Porsches (and other cars) with low miles which will go for stupid money, more and more sportscars from that era are going to be heading towards 100K if they've even been doing 5K a year or so.

Did we not have a thread on here at one point before which was talking about the UK's obsession with mileage on a car being a direct indicator of likely quality whereas we should be looking at what mechanical work has been done to the car?

Anyway, I've just sold it to someone who saw it at my local mechanic's when he was doing the O2 sensors. Knows his cars and thinks its a bargain, just what he's been looking for.

Goes tomorrow morning. I've deleted the other ads immediately to avoid any further contact with the general public.
Cheers,

Mike.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Result!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

You jammy git !!!!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:34 pm You jammy git !!!!
Skillz not Jam :D

Well done Mike.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Nice 8-)
Hopefully at the higher price but good news either way 8-)
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Skill McGill.

And a bit of luck and some patience I guess. Really pleased I've sold it to this guy, I think he'll enjoy it and he was asking all the right questions with context rather than just asking what he's read on a forum.
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

£4k. Final offer.
The artist formerly known as _Who_