BMW plans to add more options and features as a subscription service

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: BMW plans to add more options and features as a subscription service

Post by Ascender »

Gavster wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:53 pm Just seen that it’s $18 a month to activate heated seats in a BMW. What a joke. Welcome to the future. Clearly going to catch on because it’s a massive revenue driver.
Am I missing something (always a possibility)...

What's the issue with this?

Manufacturer builds car with all the options in it. If the buyer specs all the options, they're all turned on and active for lifetime of the car.

If they don't buy some of the options, but then decide they would like some, they can have them enabled. Either at some sort of monthly cost or a one-off lifetime cost in-line with what the build cost option would have been? Seems entirely reasonable so long as nobody takes the piss.

And clearly you'll just be able to go to eBay and do it for pennies like I've done with Apple CarPlay on the M2...
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I think future generations will simply retire and realise they own and have nothing, it would take quite the willpower to properly manage your future when everything is on the monthlies.

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:05 am I think future generations will simply retire and realise they own and have nothing, it would take quite the willpower to properly manage your future when everything is on the monthlies.

Dave!
Somebody has to own the things rented to other people. That's where the money will be.

It'll be like going back to a feudal system, disguised as a capitalist ideal :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:05 am I think future generations will simply retire and realise they own and have nothing, it would take quite the willpower to properly manage your future when everything is on the monthlies.

Dave!
I imagine very few people own new cars outright these days - the 2nd hand market will always be there though - that's where this whole £18 a month for this option will struggle I think.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ascender wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:50 am
Gavster wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:53 pm Just seen that it’s $18 a month to activate heated seats in a BMW. What a joke. Welcome to the future. Clearly going to catch on because it’s a massive revenue driver.
Am I missing something (always a possibility)...

What's the issue with this?

Manufacturer builds car with all the options in it. If the buyer specs all the options, they're all turned on and active for lifetime of the car.

If they don't buy some of the options, but then decide they would like some, they can have them enabled. Either at some sort of monthly cost or a one-off lifetime cost in-line with what the build cost option would have been? Seems entirely reasonable so long as nobody takes the piss.

And clearly you'll just be able to go to eBay and do it for pennies like I've done with Apple CarPlay on the M2...
Not the case though AIUI. From what I've seen they're only enabled for that ownership/subscription. So the next buyer gets a base spec until they pay for what they want to use.

I wonder how that will work in ad descriptions going forward, and potenital liabilities for misselling.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

As has already been said, BMW wanted £260 to enable apple play on my car, "the internet" wanted £30.

What other options can they do as a rate?

Physical options like leather, window tints, led lights, cosmetic stuff obviously can't be priced this way, so it only really leaves software and electronics like heated seats and satnav?
Barry

Post by Barry »

KTM are playing it crafty, your get all the options up front, then at 1000mile mark (first service) they turn off unless you sign up for the extras (££).

It'll still get hacked mind.
scotta

Post by scotta »

heated steering wheel was a subscriptions service on the X1 i had last week or you could have it permanently enabled for £160