Mountain Biking general thread

dinny_g

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by dinny_g »

Another Viz top tip…

Don’t waste money on expensive Phone holders for your mountain bike handlebars so you can follow maps on how go.

Simply know where you are going! Then your phone can stay in your pocket

:D
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Smart watches are excellent for this.
How about not having a sig at all?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Just remembered there's an eMTB hire place near me

Think I'll take one out for a few hours and see what all the fuss is about
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:52 pm I'd just bite the bullet and get a quad lock. The swapping cases hassle would be far outweighed by messing about trying to find alternatives that turn out to be crap!
Stop suggesting things which I agree with! I'm sure you're right.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:47 pm Everyone looks a tit on a Brompton/similar.
No idea what you're talking about :rofl:

It's part of the joy of them. You can't ride one without evoking images of excentric Englishmen, and that's not in a gammon way.
John

Post by John »

I raced in the Brompton World Championship a few years ago, great fun :D
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Yep, I did a BWC many years ago when it was at Blenheim Palace. Silly fun, especially the chaos of a Le Mans start and unfolding. I don't really need one (hence selling it), but I quite fancy another Brompton.

I bought a Mous intralock case and mount after the cheap mount hurled my iphone in the canal last year. Perfectly flat on the back and magsafe works fine when you're not using it on the bike. I really like it just as an everyday case too.
John

Post by John »

Is anyone looking for a new bike? 30% off all Vitus bikes at Wiggle/Chain Reaction. I know they aren’t the trendiest bikes around but they are very well equipped for the price. I’ve got the Vitus Zenium road bike with carbon frame and Shimano 105 which is now reduced to £840, absolute bargain.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My nephew has a Vitus hardtail (that they bought second hand for about £220 - massive bargain).- it's a great bit of kit and I don't think the brand is bad.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Got three of them now including my daughter's 24" hardtail, the prices when Wiggle/CRC have an offer are excellent. The ebikes are great value to start with, crazy VFM with 30% off.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Have finally finished procrastinating about a new bike, and based on a recommendation from my BiL, have ordered a Temple Adventure Disc 1 in racing green. Last one they had in my size in the sales, so a useful 30% off. That makes it cheaper than the lesser "2" version.

He's ordered the frame for himself and will build it up with bits from his stores/other bikes. We'll be matching!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

I can't afford a Brompton but need a folding bike for the Nurburging 24hr this year... Any particularly clever cheap models I should be looking for? Hopefully old enough to have used examples on eBay 😀
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

A mate bought a Dahon and used it for a while. There are a few for a couple of hundred quid on eBay.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

240PP wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:10 pm A mate bought a Dahon and used it for a while. There are a few for a couple of hundred quid on eBay.
Thanks for this, bought a Carrera Transit and a Carrera Intercity for me and my mate. I understand they're both licensed copies of Dahon folders.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Finally jumped on the Five Ten bandwagon, my feet have been grumbling about wearing Vans all the time.

First time I’ve ever got shoes specifically for the bike so I’ll be curious to see if they change how I ride.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:08 am Finally jumped on the Five Ten bandwagon, my feet have been grumbling about wearing Vans all the time.

First time I’ve ever got shoes specifically for the bike so I’ll be curious to see if they change how I ride.
sadly they were bought out by adidas and the current versions are awful compared to the old ones.

The soles are still great though, it just seems the uppers are made out of cardboard to a random size.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ah well, if they’re shit now what are good other options for flat pedal shoes. Endura?
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I tried a few - you really need to try them on these days, the sizes, shapes and fits of them all are so varied now. I used to just get a 5:10 freerider in 9 and it would be great. Now nothing seems to fit me and I end up sending everything back.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I was planning to switch to flats this year as I've always ridden clipped-in with Crank Bros pedals of some sort. Which are great until they're not - you're lying upside down in the grass with a bike attached to you like a turtle stuck on its back. I'll try to get somewhere I can try shoes on although a friend was also complaining about the changes since Adidas bought 5:10.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I did try a pair of Ride Concepts. They seemed well made, the only issue I had was they were a mid height and rubbed on my ankle. I've ended up with a pair of 5:10s that a mate rejected too and gave to me to try, (that I curse as being shit every time I put them on). I keep meaning to go and buy some thing else, but never get round to it.