Mountain Biking general thread

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by Rich B »

I still don't really get gravel bikes - fine for commuting, but not as an actual "thing".

There was a guy struggling his way down some pretty easy sections on one at the Forest of Dean (uplift day downhilling) on Saturday - he didn't look like he was having much fun.

They just look like old fashioned 1990s mtbs to me, and the game has well and truly moved on from them in terms of geometry and suspension these days.Then again, I'm putting an ebike on an uplift, so what do I know about "the right tool for the job".

We're off to BPW for my birthday on Monday - looking forward to going there when it's a bit quieter - every time we've been recently it's been a bit of a nightmare with the sheer numbers of people there on a weekend.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

8Ball wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:42 am I use a Garmin, so can't speak from experience, but have a look at Quad Lock for phone mounting.
There are some excellent looking lock systems, but they require you to use the specific case and I'm not (yet) going to do that. Might try one of these for a tenner from Amazon, but the velcro-only mounting looks like it'll move around a bit too much:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Actually, turns out Lidl still sell a pretty much identical bag which used the existing mount, for £5.99. Maybe I'll just buy a few. https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/cycling-gear/c ... ase/p62495
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:52 am
8Ball wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:42 am I use a Garmin, so can't speak from experience, but have a look at Quad Lock for phone mounting.
There are some excellent looking lock systems, but they require you to use the specific case and I'm not (yet) going to do that. Might try one of these for a tenner from Amazon, but the velcro-only mounting looks like it'll move around a bit too much:
will that fit? Looks like it's designed for a long 1990s 100mm+ stem. Yours will have a more modern <50mm one I expect
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Good point Rich, and even if it did the Orbea battery key is in the top of the steerer tube so if you cover it, you can't easily get to the key. Glad I didn't order one.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I'd just bite the bullet and get a quad lock. The swapping cases hassle would be far outweighed by messing about trying to find alternatives that turn out to be crap!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:12 am Extremely niche - I’m wondering if anyone has a folding E bike or something they recommend?
Yes. I just got a MiRider One and it's awesome (with the big screen and hydraulic brake upgrade off the GB3 model)
Left over crest; tightens.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

And I have a phone holder attachment on the bars as above, which is handy for navigating.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Googling the MiRider has shown me a whole host of other results of similar bikes which I can only assume are very illegal. 1000w motor and 45kph - must resist 🤦‍♂️
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:51 am I still don't really get gravel bikes - fine for commuting, but not as an actual "thing".

There was a guy struggling his way down some pretty easy sections on one at the Forest of Dean (uplift day downhilling) on Saturday - he didn't look like he was having much fun.

They just look like old fashioned 1990s mtbs to me, and the game has well and truly moved on from them in terms of geometry and suspension these days.Then again, I'm putting an ebike on an uplift, so what do I know about "the right tool for the job".

We're off to BPW for my birthday on Monday - looking forward to going there when it's a bit quieter - every time we've been recently it's been a bit of a nightmare with the sheer numbers of people there on a weekend.
They're the halfway option for me. I don't need a proper MTB, and don't ride enough/fast enough for it to be at a significant disadvantage over a road bike.

It will serve me well for the family rides (with the youngest on tow for at least part of the trip), and when I go out on the occasional ride for myself. It will also free up storage space in the shed, and on the bike rack.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:27 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:51 am I still don't really get gravel bikes - fine for commuting, but not as an actual "thing".

They're the halfway option for me. I don't need a proper MTB, and don't ride enough/fast enough for it to be at a significant disadvantage over a road bike.

It will serve me well for the family rides (with the youngest on tow for at least part of the trip), and when I go out on the occasional ride for myself. It will also free up storage space in the shed, and on the bike rack.
I can't think of anything worse than riding off-road with drop handlebars - it's bizarre.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:35 pm

I can't think of anything worse than riding off-road with drop handlebars - it's bizarre.
I bet you can, if you reeeeeeally try. :D

I very rarely use the drop handlebars when I'm on my road bike, so I don't think it'll be a big issue.
---
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:43 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:35 pm

I very rarely use the drop handlebars when I'm on my road bike, so I don't think it'll be a big issue.
but that's where the brakes are - off road you should always have a finger covering the brake levers.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:46 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:43 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:35 pm I can't think of anything worse than riding off-road with drop handlebars - it's bizarre.

but that's where the brakes are - off road you should always have a finger covering the brake levers.
I won't be going seriously off-road on it, and I've never struggled to operate the brakes and gears resting my hands on the top of the brake lever/gear change mechanism.
---
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:43 pm Googling the MiRider has shown me a whole host of other results of similar bikes which I can only assume are very illegal. 1000w motor and 45kph - must resist 🤦‍♂️
Yes, I suspect they are.
This still gives me a good workout but even without the gears, level 5 assist is great on the hills, so I'm a bit sweaty but not knackered or slowed by hills. The thumb boost is great, for getting you up to speed quickly or just to help get a cadence boost. It's a bit spinny over about 17mph but that's fine, I don't need to go faster than that. I've had 27 miles out of the battery, across my first two rides.

It's little bit wide when folded and I wouldn't want to carry it too far, but can be wheeled along fairly easily.

I probably look a tit on it at 6'3 with the tiny wheels.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

JonMad wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:10 pm
Mito Man wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:43 pm Googling the MiRider has shown me a whole host of other results of similar bikes which I can only assume are very illegal. 1000w motor and 45kph - must resist 🤦‍♂️
Yes, I suspect they are.
This still gives me a good workout but even without the gears, level 5 assist is great on the hills, so I'm a bit sweaty but not knackered or slowed by hills. The thumb boost is great, for getting you up to speed quickly or just to help get a cadence boost. It's a bit skinny over about 17mph but that's fine, I don't need to go faster than that. I'be had 27 miles out of the battery, across my first two rides.

It's little bit wide when folded and I wouldn't want to carry it too far, but can be wheeled along fairly easily.

I probably look a tit on it at 6'3 with the tiny wheels.
Will also be in the “looking like a tit club at 6’3” 😂
I just want something I can hide away in my utility room cabinet in my flat and also fit in the boot of any car.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Everyone looks a tit on a Brompton/similar.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

I have no issue with looking a tit. I enjoy riding it. I should probably get back on my Sirrus Sport hybrid for a comparison.

It fits in less than half of the boot of the Yeti , with the parcel shelf removed. Or strapped into the passenger bucket seat in the rally car. I should try it in the Swift.
John

Post by John »

I had a gravel/cyclocross bike and although it was OK on some of the tamer trails, being clipped in on some of the rough descents wasn't at all enjoyable. It also wasn't that quick on the roads. My hardtail Trek was quicker on almost everything according to Strava and now that I have a proper road bike I can see how compromised it was. Looked nice though.
John

Post by John »

Oh and folding electric bikes, my wife has this one from Decathlon

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/20-inch-e ... _TURQUOISE

Not as funky as the ones already mentioned but it's cheap and has been reliable. I wouldn't want to carry it far though.