Mountain Biking general thread

Orange Cola

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by Orange Cola »

drcarlos wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:05 am
Orange Cola wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:16 am
Gavin wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:06 am

Yeah, there seems to be a rivalry between SRAM and Shimano...?

My first MTB was an Emmelle with 18 gears back when Shimano did 3 gear sets, Mountain was one of them, my bike had the middle one and you had to move the gear lever back and forward! :shock:

I imagine it is like most things, you can have all the kit and not a clue!
Definitely is, I’ve even found bikes which can be spec’d as either Shimano or SRAM :shock: I’m used to the Shimano stuff but my new bike is a SRAM fest, even the forks are Rock Shox (SRAM owned). The gear changes are unintuitive but so far no complaints, it’s an Eagle 12 speed single front chain ring.
Which Eagle setup are you running? My Giant came fitted with NX, but I upgraded it to GX (shifter and rear mech had to have them matching as my OCD wouldn't stand it lol) due to the NX shifter being on a band clamp and not being close enough to my hand. The GX grumbles along in certain gears under no load (as soon as it goes under load it's fine) despite perfect alignment. I never had any issues with my XT 11 speed setup in the 3 years I had it but this SRAM 12s setup seems to be a bit intolerant. So far not impressed if it doesn't quiet down (wondering if the clutch needs to bed in) I'll be mailing SRAM to complain and probably sell it and move to XT 12s.
It’s this

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/mounta ... luid-ht-1/

I think I’ve got some slight cable stretch but so far it’s not missed a beat in its first 100 or so miles :lol:
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Orange Cola wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:20 am
Orange Cola wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:16 am

Definitely is, I’ve even found bikes which can be spec’d as either Shimano or SRAM :shock: I’m used to the Shimano stuff but my new bike is a SRAM fest, even the forks are Rock Shox (SRAM owned). The gear changes are unintuitive but so far no complaints, it’s an Eagle 12 speed single front chain ring.
Which Eagle setup are you running? My Giant came fitted with NX, but I upgraded it to GX (shifter and rear mech had to have them matching as my OCD wouldn't stand it lol) due to the NX shifter being on a band clamp and not being close enough to my hand. The GX grumbles along in certain gears under no load (as soon as it goes under load it's fine) despite perfect alignment. I never had any issues with my XT 11 speed setup in the 3 years I had it but this SRAM 12s setup seems to be a bit intolerant. So far not impressed if it doesn't quiet down (wondering if the clutch needs to bed in) I'll be mailing SRAM to complain and probably sell it and move to XT 12s.
It’s this

I think I’ve got some slight cable stretch but so far it’s not missed a beat in its first 100 or so miles :lol:
NX rear mech. Same as mine was fitted with, I did probably 200 miles on it and apart from the ergonomics of the shifter it felt fine. The GX mech though which is a level up and on inspection adds an alloy cage (it's quite a bit lighter than NX) and fixed ball raced jockey wheels (where NX has bushes a a fair amount of float) seems to have issues with tension or alignment as it grumbles under no load in about 3 gears.
I'm moving up a chainring size to 32T when it arrives as I keep running out of gears on the flat so maybe the additional chain tension the larger chainring creates will sort it.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

drcarlos wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:30 am
Orange Cola wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:20 am

It’s this

NX rear mech. Same as mine was fitted with, I did probably 200 miles on it and apart from the ergonomics of the shifter it felt fine. The GX mech though which is a level up and on inspection adds an alloy cage (it's quite a bit lighter than NX) and fixed ball raced jockey wheels (where NX has bushes a a fair amount of float) seems to have issues with tension or alignment as it grumbles under no load in about 3 gears.
I'm moving up a chainring size to 32T when it arrives as I keep running out of gears on the flat so maybe the additional chain tension the larger chainring creates will sort it.
The whole driveline got ok reviews but is heavy, I’m not sure if I’ll change it because I’d prefer to sink that money into a better bike over all (not that the Norco isn’t a good bike). I’m actually enjoying gears behaving themselves for once and given how much little free time I have for working on a bike compared to when I used to do everything myself I’m tempted to let the bike shop do everything.

I’m in two minds about changing the brakes though, dynamic friction is good but static friction isn’t. I’m also unsure how long they’ll last before chewing through pads and generally feeling worn out and tired, it’s pretty much the budget hydraulic Shimano brake.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

The next level up MT500 brakes get some great reviews, I like Shimano brakes, I find you have to swap to Sintered pads for long life and also they don't like pads being more than 1/2 worn. I have SRAM Level T on my Giant they are lighter weight XC brakes but they seem to work well enough, too early to comment on reliability and pad life though.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’d be happy to quite a way up the Shimano range for a decent set of stoppers, I’m getting the use out of them so it won’t feel like a bad spend. I’ve read there’s a poor performing pad, can’t remember if it was a standard fit pad?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I have Shimano Saints on my old enduro, tbh though they seem to get good reviews, they’ve always just seemed a bit fussy to me. I had trouble with them squealing and the pads cost a fortune.

I have the original Avid Guide RSC on my main bike and they have been pretty much “fit and forget” with just some cheap pads every now and then.

I don’t know if this is typical though.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I haven't tried any of the old Avid's but I'm told that they weren't much good until the Guides and DB series arrived.

Midrange Shimano seem to fare better than the higher ones at the moment, the Deore have been well reviewed for a few years where XT and XTR have been a bit hit and miss.

I'm not knarly enough for enduro, too old for that now, but I do like a bit of flow with some tech mixed in.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’ve ordered a Camelbak, I didn’t realise it was a women’s one until after I placed the order because the website didn’t state it was a women’s one like it does for the other camelbaks which are women’s specific. I think I’ll give a try and see if by some miracle it fits because it appears to be identical to the men’s one in functionality and design, else I’ll have to return it and probably pay a restocking fee or something :roll:

Has anyone got any experience of the Osprey Raptor 14 or is it just worth sticking with Camelbak and waiting until the (men’s version) of what I want is back in stock?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

That Osprey looks nice, I like the helmet mounting feature.

Given they’ve not listed the Camelbak as women’s-specific I’m sure you can just return it at no cost.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Just go with it, no one will know...

I hate it when you order something then do some more research and find out it’s completely wrong, I do it far too much.

I’m taking advantage of the crazy used bike prices and selling my old bike, I reckon it would have struggled to get £4-500 pre-covid, I’ve accepted an early offer for £700 now. If you’ve got old bikes that you’ve been holding onto because they’re “probably not worth much anymore” now is the time to sell!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

:lol:

I actually tried to cancel my order because I did quite a bit of research this time and it was rated highly on a few sites. I checked the Camelbak website too. Then I shopped around. My mistake was I googled the bag and clicked the link which had the right name of the bag on it, it took me to the website I was going to buy it from, I then checked the colour, the pictures, the specs (tank capacity) and pressed buy. When the receipt came through I read the item name and that’s when I twigged although I thought I’d checked everything I didn’t check the fucking name after I’d clicked the link from google :lol:

I went back through, definitely didn’t say women’s on it (and it says women’s on other camelbacks) and took a load of screen shots incase I needed to return it and argue a case. However if it fits then it fits and I’ll leave it as is. It’s unlikely, I’m 6ft 2”, I can’t see a women’s bag stretching quite that far.

This is what I wanted (and googled)

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-skyli ... ation-pack

This is what I ordered

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-solst ... ation-pack

I was going to sell my old MTB but when I dug it out at the weekend to take photos I found the head tube had a massive crack in it, so game over :(
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

In other news my Sam Hill Nuke Proof pedals in blue turned up and since then it’s rained. Hoping to get out later in 25c heat.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

My plan is to spend anything/everything I get from the other bike on my Capra, it definitely needs fork/shock service and I might as well do all the pivot bearings whilst it’s apart... And the bottom bracket... and the drivetrain could do with a refresh... and the wheels probably need a strip down....and some new tyres.... oh. There goes my £700!

I’m quite excited about spending some proper money on it tbh, I’m always a bit tight when it comes to bike maintenance - only Really replacing things if they break.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I cannot get over how expensive MTB’s are now. Over a grand for a top end chain set! Some people replace those things annually!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I’ve just found out the same thing! Like for like replacements for my cassette (£120), rear mech (£160), etc... maybe my refresh list won’t be quite as extensive! 😂
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

:shock: £500 for the lot? Forks will be a fair bit, tyres aren’t cheap any more etc etc. You’ll be hitting a grand after that lot.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:13 pmI’m taking advantage of the crazy used bike prices and selling my old bike, I reckon it would have struggled to get £4-500 pre-covid, I’ve accepted an early offer for £700 now. If you’ve got old bikes that you’ve been holding onto because they’re “probably not worth much anymore” now is the time to sell!
Really?

Where did you list yours?

I have a Boardman Hybrid I used for commuting which I’ve toyed with selling - its all kitted out with mudguards, pannier racks etc....
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Just on eBay, the whole market has gone crazy. Demand is sky high with people stuck at home and supply is buggered for new bikes. There’s some manufacturers who are already talking about new stock only being available for 2021 now.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Some of the parts are mental prices.

SRAM want £70-90 for a direct mount single chainring, it's crazy, if you can get a Snail from China for less than £15 there has to be a place for a something between super cheap and stupidly expensive, say like £30. For now I'm going with the Snail because I am not paying £90 for something that should have been specced at the correct size on the bike in the first place.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:08 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:13 pmI’m taking advantage of the crazy used bike prices and selling my old bike, I reckon it would have struggled to get £4-500 pre-covid, I’ve accepted an early offer for £700 now. If you’ve got old bikes that you’ve been holding onto because they’re “probably not worth much anymore” now is the time to sell!
Really?

Where did you list yours?

I have a Boardman Hybrid I used for commuting which I’ve toyed with selling - its all kitted out with mudguards, pannier racks etc....
My old hybrid is about to go on the market! I'll give it a good clean this weekend and stick it on eBay.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away