Mountain Biking general thread

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by Rich B »

The tubeless front on my commuter ebike has a slow puncture. I've bought some tubes.
John

Post by John »

simon_g wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:17 pm Ouch. Too big for a jabber/anchovy to fill?
I er might have left them at home :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Anyone tried those inserts (Cushcore, Tannus Armour etc)? I bet they seem appealing when you've just had to fix an annoying puncture - I know they did when I got 4 punctures on one ride. But I suspect they are a pig to fit, make the wheels and tyres heavier to the detriment of handling and don't provide any more than emergency get-you-home functionality if you need to rely on them anyway.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I don't really get the point for me - I hate riding with low pressures, having the bike squirm around going into a jump or round a berm is horrible. I ride with 40psi, so if I'm casing it so badly enough that I need a Cush core, I'm probably crashing in spectacular style.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I've never pumped my MTB tyres up that high - usually around 30psi. I run my Brompton tyres at 80-100psi so I'm not averse to high pressure, just assumed you need the lower pressure (and 30 isn't that low compared to most) for grip. Will try it.

Assumed the inserts were to keep you moving when you puncture, to be honest...
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

For the racers it can mean not getting a flat in the first place, and if you do then they keep the bead seated and give a bit of run-flat ability to get down a stage without destroying a rim. I thought the idea too was that you could go for a less robust tyre which can save more weight than the inserts add - eg if you'd go for a DD or Super Gravity version then you can save 400+g on a lighter tyre and only add 150g back for the insert.

40psi is nuts to me, but I'd always encourage trying higher and lower than your usual to see. This time of year with slippery roots and the like a lower pressure can find more grip than you'd expect.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

simon_g wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:57 am For the racers it can mean not getting a flat in the first place, and if you do then they keep the bead seated and give a bit of run-flat ability to get down a stage without destroying a rim. I thought the idea too was that you could go for a less robust tyre which can save more weight than the inserts add - eg if you'd go for a DD or Super Gravity version then you can save 400+g on a lighter tyre and only add 150g back for the insert.

40psi is nuts to me, but I'd always encourage trying higher and lower than your usual to see. This time of year with slippery roots and the like a lower pressure can find more grip than you'd expect.
I've got 180mm of suspension and a 2.8 inch rear tyre, I don't need the tyre deforming in unpredictable directions and trying to roll off the rim in corners. I have nice mechanically controlled suspension and loads of grip.

I've tried all sorts of set ups, I've been riding mountain bikes for 25 years. I personally don't like low pressures for the above reasons - though I am only really interested in bike park type trails, so ultimate grip across roots up a hill is far less important to me than predictable handling off jumps and into fast corners.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I usually have mines between 35 and 40 psi. Mostly because I'm a big un and the tyres flatten out more than I'd like if I go with less.

I never run low pressures, as Rich says I'd rather let the forks and frame deal with shock absorption than have the tyres squirming around under me.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Hmm - maybe a poll is needed here.... :ugeek:

Road bike: 120 psi. That's how I roll
MTB: 45 psi. I acknowledge however that my MTB skills & abilities are poor, and my 2003 Trek hardtail shakes me like a bastard regardless
Bluefin Excercise Bike: 00 psi
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah 45 psi front and back in 2.25" tyres here.

Hard Tail too but there's a riding style you can employ to keep some of the hard crashes down. You can' just ride and let the rear shock take care of things..
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I fancied going out on my bike last Sunday as the snow was falling but didn’t have time. Probably more fun today anyway; clear skies and the snow from last weekend is still very much present.

Pleased with the grip from my tyres. Must get some more thick socks though.

V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:48 pm I've never pumped my MTB tyres up that high - usually around 30psi. I run my Brompton tyres at 80-100psi so I'm not averse to high pressure, just assumed you need the lower pressure (and 30 isn't that low compared to most) for grip. Will try it.

Assumed the inserts were to keep you moving when you puncture, to be honest...
Fatty boom boom here needs 60psi to stop it feeing squirmy, it used to make gravel wash outs quite spectacular!! I very very rarely get punctures though.

Dave!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I’m fairly sure mine say max 45 or 50 psi, so that would be way too hard even if you’re heavy.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:00 pm I’m fairly sure mine say max 45 or 50 psi, so that would be way too hard even if you’re heavy.
I have no idea what mine say, they still deform a bit but not much.

50psi is very noticeable on the road when riding to where I ride and absolutely horrible when braking hard. 136kg in my birthday suit this morning so I ask a lot of my brakes, even though I’m very average speed wise.

I think if I followed Rich down a bike park I’d just waved as I sail past on my way to a crash.

Dave!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:12 pm I fancied going out on my bike last Sunday as the snow was falling but didn’t have time. Probably more fun today anyway; clear skies and the snow from last weekend is still very much present.

Are using one of those post dropper things??
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

McSwede wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:10 pm
Jobbo wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:12 pm I fancied going out on my bike last Sunday as the snow was falling but didn’t have time. Probably more fun today anyway; clear skies and the snow from last weekend is still very much present.

😂 not sure if this is a subtle dig or a genuine question!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:14 pm
McSwede wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:10 pm

😂 not sure if this is a subtle dig or a genuine question!
I was being a little mischievous 😂
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Yeah, I love my dropper. Rich probably benefits from his in other ways but for me it helps getting on and off 😂
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:47 pm Yeah, I love my dropper. Rich probably benefits from his in other ways but for me it helps getting on and off 😂
:lol: :lol: :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I've just bought and assembled a Forme Kinder 24 for my daughters Crimbo pressie and it's a cracking little thing. Only just over 9kg.

Hopefully something she'll enjoy riding on some trails. I'm going to get myself a new mtb as my Orbea is ancient (and heavy), the front forks are buggered and I've been looking at mtb's a lot and I really want to buy one 😂 I'll also use it to be out with my daughter which is the main thing.

What type should I buy? Hardtail or full suspension (which the inner child is desperate to buy☺️). In the new year I'll try both by hiring when we go for a ride. I'm pretty much sure that everyone will say hardtail.

The floor is yours.