FAO Alex

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: FAO Alex

Post by Gavin »

You seem remarkably calm on Facebook and able to laugh about yourself, why so serious?

What is the matter with you? I made a passing observation, maybe take a few breaths?
GG.

Post by GG. »

My question would be, given the very VERY substantial overlap between the two cars - large capacity, front vee engined, naturally aspirated, automatic 2+2s of identical price, similar size, age and both universally acknowledged as very attractive cars - I struggle to understand why one would appeal and one would not to the extent you'd rule it out completely when the main difference is something you need (rear seat practicality)... unless the DB7/9 was just a foregone conclusion.

I guess there was still a point to the thread in asking what the rear seat space is (not much) in a DB7 but now that's answered probably makes sense to go and fit your daughter in one and see if you can make it work.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

GG. wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:04 am My question would be, given the very VERY substantial overlap between the two cars - large capacity, front vee engined, naturally aspirated, automatic 2+2s of identical price, similar size, age and both universally acknowledged as very attractive cars - I struggle to understand why one would appeal and one would not to the extent you'd rule it out completely when the main difference is something you need (rear seat practicality)... unless the DB7/9 was just a foregone conclusion.

I guess there was still a point to the thread in asking what the rear seat space is (not much) in a DB7 but now that's answered probably makes sense to go and fit your daughter in one and see if you can make it work.
What the fuck is wrong with you, just agree with him! :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

I guess I'm just unreasonable 🤷 :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:46 pm
Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:16 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:41 pm

I don’t think it was the Vanquish but the DB7 GT was used as a method to cut development costs for either the DB9 or Vanquish, so the chassis and driveline is a half way house between the two and that’s why it’s a better drivers car than a normal DB7. Pretty clever back in the day and helped the cost situation.
The DB7 GT apparently had uprated springs and dampers, minor aerodynamic tweaks to the wheelarches and lighter wheels: http://classicmotorhub.com/blog/aston-m ... 20F%2Dtype.
Not entirely sure those tweaks to a steel DB7 would have given them a head start on development of the carbon/aluminium Vanquish or all-aluminium DB9, nor is it much of a halfway house :lol:
I’m only quoting direct from an Aston engineer who was leading the development plan. Next time I see him I’ll let him know he’s wrong ;)
Let me know whether he put an aluminium platform under the DB7 GT somehow, without it being mentioned in the road tests :D
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Gavin wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:03 am You seem remarkably calm on Facebook and able to laugh about yourself, why so serious?

What is the matter with you? I made a passing observation, maybe take a few breaths?
I just find it a bit stupid to accuse me of not listening to advice when that's plainly what I've just done. The 520d reference just seemed like a cheap shot, that's all.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

GG. wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:04 am My question would be, given the very VERY substantial overlap between the two cars - large capacity, front vee engined, naturally aspirated, automatic 2+2s of identical price, similar size, age and both universally acknowledged as very attractive cars - I struggle to understand why one would appeal and one would not to the extent you'd rule it out completely when the main difference is something you need (rear seat practicality)... unless the DB7/9 was just a foregone conclusion.

I just don't ultimately see myself buying a Maserati, that's all I guess.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:18 am
Gavin wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:03 am You seem remarkably calm on Facebook and able to laugh about yourself, why so serious?

I just find it a bit stupid to accuse me of not listening to advice when that's plainly what I've just done. The 520d reference just seemed like a cheap shot, that's all.
IS this your first visit here????? :lol:
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

So just because I've been around a few years I therefore need to accept an inane question or point because "that's how the forum works"? Fine, in return, stop making 'why ask the collective' points because THAT'S HOW THE FORUM WORKS, GAVIN.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Buy a Mustang, that’s a 2+2 V engined car which is now in budget. Back seats are far more practical than an XK, I can actually sit in the back of one for up to hour.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I’d have a Maser GT over a DB9, good suggestion.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Orange Cola wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:13 am Buy a Mustang, that’s a 2+2 V engined car which is now in budget. Back seats are far more practical than an XK, I can actually sit in the back of one for up to hour.
I've been meaning to dig out that thread you did for Dave on the problems they have. I like them but with those it's a case of if I wanted one I'd already have one I think, given I've had the option in the past and didn't take it.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:04 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:13 am Buy a Mustang, that’s a 2+2 V engined car which is now in budget. Back seats are far more practical than an XK, I can actually sit in the back of one for up to hour.
I've been meaning to dig out that thread you did for Dave on the problems they have. I like them but with those it's a case of if I wanted one I'd already have one I think, given I've had the option in the past and didn't take it.
I was half joking, they’re not comparable to an Aston. The earlier cars are within your budget and those are more likely to have issues in that thread, but it’s still very small numbers which will actually be affected plus they’re still a very, very long way off the bottom of their curve. I reckon they’ll hit £10k for reasonable ones before they start to bounce back up again, covid has probably expedited that decline but it’ll still be another 10 or so years before they hit bottom.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:18 am

You get there is a difference between "this reminds me of" and "this thread is identical in every way"?

In the 520D thread, you ignored the advice and bought a pup and then got well and truly bum fucked handing it back when you realised everyone was correct.

This thread, you started off asking for an insurance quotation, on learning of your criteria, a number of suggestions for similar cars that might be even better for you. You seem to still be favouring the DB7 regardless.

In most of my posts I said go for what you want, I did not say stop posting this kind of thread anywhere.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

So if post a thread asking people what garden sprinkler to buy, are you going to compare that one to the 520d thread too? If I ignore advice, then I ignore it. It's advice, not an instruction. If I follow the advice, it's because I want to. It's not to appease anybody. And yes, I started off looking at DB7s and I still am, because it's my choice (admittedly the extra apparent rust protection inherent in the DB9 is something in its favour though). Do you find it difficult or in some how a personal affront if people don't follow your advice?
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:14 pm So if post a thread asking people what garden sprinkler to buy, are you going to compare that one to the 520d thread too? If I ignore advice, then I ignore it. It's advice, not an instruction. If I follow the advice, it's because I want to. It's not to appease anybody. And yes, I started off looking at DB7s and I still am, because it's my choice (admittedly the extra apparent rust protection inherent in the DB9 is something in its favour though). Do you find it difficult or in some how a personal affront if people don't follow your advice?
I did not offer advice for you to ignore. I also encouraged you to do what you wanted. :lol: Did you read what i had posted or just guessed and spraff shite? Having suffered a few minutes of one of your car reviews I tend towards the latter.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Gavin wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:26 pm
ShockDiamonds wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:14 pm So if post a thread asking people what garden sprinkler to buy, are you going to compare that one to the 520d thread too? If I ignore advice, then I ignore it. It's advice, not an instruction. If I follow the advice, it's because I want to. It's not to appease anybody. And yes, I started off looking at DB7s and I still am, because it's my choice (admittedly the extra apparent rust protection inherent in the DB9 is something in its favour though). Do you find it difficult or in some how a personal affront if people don't follow your advice?
I did not offer advice for you to ignore. I also encouraged you to do what you wanted. :lol: Did you read what i had posted or just guessed and spraff shite? Having suffered a few minutes of one of your car reviews I tend towards the latter.
Yep standard issue, when it doesn't go your way you start with the insults. You made the point that I ignored advice and bought a pup. Are you saying that you didn't support that previous advice from others? And in this particular thread, I've asked an innocent question and it's you who have chosen to tie it with the previous 520d thread, then making comments about 'just buy it and don't ask' when that is at least partly how the forum functions in the first place. It's a bit pathetic, to be honest Gavin, and now rather than admitting it you're trying any other line you can to avoid it :roll:

To requote you:

"This ^ (whole thread) is what reminds me of the 520D thread, in the face of overwhelming well intentioned advice from knowledgeable car owners and enthusiasts with real world experience you stubbornly clung to your original desire."

Overwhelming, well-intentioned, stubbornly

These are your words. They demonstrate your thoughts here. You're casting aspersions on my, apparent, disregard of other's advice (even though I've followed it in this thread FFS! :lol:) and you're creating this whole discussion, not me. Ergo my comments about whether you will start questioning my garden sprinkler thread if I opted to start one.

Maybe I'm just in a grump today, dunno, but bottom line Gavin, there's zero need other than your own amusement to connect this thread to the 520d thread, there's no evidence of me not listening to advice and if I choose to nevertheless still buy a DB7 then because it's ultimately my choice, I will do so. Yeah yeah you will now say "I didn't say not to" but it's what you have said which is releavnt here and causing the disagreement, not what you haven't said.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

You’d still end up ignoring us and buying the wrong garden sprinkler.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:55 pm
Gavin wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:26 pm
Yep standard issue, when it doesn't go your way you start with the insults. You made the point that I ignored advice and bought a pup. Are you saying that you didn't support that previous advice from others? And in this particular thread, I've asked an innocent question and it's you who have chosen to tie it with the previous 520d thread, then making comments about 'just buy it and don't ask' when that is at least partly how the forum functions in the first place. It's a bit pathetic, to be honest Gavin, and now rather than admitting it you're trying any other line you can to avoid it :roll:

To requote you:

"This ^ (whole thread) is what reminds me of the 520D thread, in the face of overwhelming well intentioned advice from knowledgeable car owners and enthusiasts with real world experience you stubbornly clung to your original desire."

Overwhelming, well-intentioned, stubbornly

These are your words. They demonstrate your thoughts here. You're casting aspersions on my, apparent, disregard of other's advice (even though I've followed it in this thread FFS! :lol:) and you're creating this whole discussion, not me. Ergo my comments about whether you will start questioning my garden sprinkler thread if I opted to start one.

Maybe I'm just in a grump today, dunno, but bottom line Gavin, there's zero need other than your own amusement to connect this thread to the 520d thread, there's no evidence of me not listening to advice and if I choose to nevertheless still buy a DB7 then because it's ultimately my choice, I will do so. Yeah yeah you will now say "I didn't say not to" but it's what you have said which is releavnt here and causing the disagreement, not what you haven't said.
I have read that a few times and am still struggling to get what you are saying. This thread does remind me of the 520D thread. I didn't say that it reminds everyone.

You DID in the previous thread ignore advice that subsequently proved to be correct.

I laughingly pointed that out and then suggested you ignore any advice and go with what you fancied because wafting in an Aston is cool.

I am not sure my standard form is to insult people but feel free to waste your time to find a couple of examples if it means that much to you.

And yes, I suspect you are having a grump, coupled perhaps with some other emotion that makes you get mega defensive when reminded of previous folly.

As to the last sentence, it really makes no sense, possibly me being a bit dense but the whole forum ripped you for the 520 and Mockdiamonds and your car reviews and you have to the best of my recollection had a number of hissy fits and possibly even a flounce??

Anyway, to reiterate the only point I had, this does remind me of the previous thread, i don't care if I am the only one it does. I repeat again, go buy what you want to buy.

I honestly could not care what you buy, as long as you are happy.
mik

Post by mik »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:14 pm So if I post a thread asking people what garden sprinkler to buy, are you going to compare that one to the 520d thread too?
Dammit so close. :(