Evo mag.

Zonda_

Evo mag.

Post by Zonda_ »

Who still buys it, considering a resubscribe in these boring times. There’s is no mention of the app on the website now, has it been axed?
McSwede

Re: Evo mag.

Post by McSwede »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:51 pm Who still buys it, considering a resubscribe in these boring times. There’s is no mention of the app on the website now, has it been axed?
Funnily enough I was considering a subscription today. Not read it in yonks but the cover shot plus the Dickie Meaden 600LT shot made me want to read it.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Yes, I last subscribed about 4 years ago but there is nothing interesting to read car wise and I can’t buy the mag anywhere locally.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Very much still going in print. They called me a few weeks back trying to get me to subscribe again.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I've never stopped my sub, so have read every issue! It is still a good magazine, but the quality isn't like it used to be. There are more grammar and spelling mistakes, print quality is worse and the writing isn't as good as before. Some of the newer staff members haven't got the flair of the early contributors. But still, better than most other magazines!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

I didnt have time to read it for years, but maintained my sub out of loyalty, and.... well..... thanks.

Cancelled it when the forum went.
Barry

Post by Barry »

mik wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:27 pm
Cancelled it when the forum went.
That was the final straw for me too. I sub to two bike mags already and barely read them each month, I just wasn't reading EVO.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

They are doing 3 issues for £5 which I'm going to sign up to having not subscribed for probably a couple of years. I've bought it sporadically though at £5 per issue.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Carlos wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:41 pm They are doing 3 issues for £5 which I'm going to sign up to having not subscribed for probably a couple of years. I've bought it sporadically though at £5 per issue.
Yes I saw that and you get a mug since my last 2 were destroyed. Do you have to subscribe for 12 months to get the offer?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Current subscribers are being offered access to the digital version whilst there’s a lockdown, but that’s not a permanent solution.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

The other half got me a sub so have been reading again. I wasn’t sure if it was the content not quite being the same or it didn’t have the same magic feeling I got when I last subscribed as a teenager.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

I still usually buy it monthly, but I signed up to the Apple News Plus app last week and it’s available through that.

I must admit it’s pretty good just flicking through it on an iPad.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

As DeskJockey says, it is not what it was. I think I have been subscribing since 2001 and in all that time I have had one sticker that went on a 2001 Leon Cupra. A wee thank you to the subscribers would be nice.

They seem to be more and more talking about daftly expensive cars but I am not sure if it is me that is noticing and just not caring about the latest slightly lighter McLaren or whether there are fewer cars that are truly aspirational and desirable close to my price range. It is probably still better than anything else out there.

I did the free 3 issues of Octane years ago, then didn't cancel the DD quickly enough so got a whole year. I do remember thinking in a few years time it would be covering the cars I really wanted in my early teens and have considered looking at it to see where it is at. Or even practical classics as very few new cars appeal (other than daftly expensive ones anyway).
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:52 pm
Carlos wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:41 pm They are doing 3 issues for £5 which I'm going to sign up to having not subscribed for probably a couple of years. I've bought it sporadically though at £5 per issue.
Yes I saw that and you get a mug since my last 2 were destroyed. Do you have to subscribe for 12 months to get the offer?
It will auto re-new if you don't cancel it.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I’ve still got my sub meaning I’m another one with every single copy since the pilot issue. I still read it, but its just not the same - I guess that’s partly due to the industry (lots of new exotic stuff and revisions of things which just aren’t grabbing me) but also evo set a very high bar in the past. I do still enjoy getting a car magazine to read though, its not like technology where things are moving so fast daily and I’m on top of it because of work - I tend not to check car “news” sites.

I have been thinking about something like Octane but am clearly too lazy to do anything about it at the moment and if I am looking for info on older cars/classics, that’s something I do tend to do online.
Cheers,

Mike.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

I bought a copy at a train station about a year ago when I had nothing else to read. Seems a lot more "coffee table aspirational" than it used to be and the writing seems more dewy eyed than I remember. Perhaps not helped by the fact I'm just not as interested in new road cars as I used to be, but it only managed to sustain my interest for about 40 minutes, and I haven't tried again since.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Still sub here. Wanted to cancel when the forum went and I almost did but TBH I’m glad I didn’t because now having something to read helps me take a break from work during the day. Subbed now to Car also for the same reason, and if you want to talk paper quality go check that out because it really is micro-thin crap. Evo is fine in comparison.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

I've always subbed Evo, (along with Classic and Sports car and Car magazines). I get people to make the subs into my Christmas presents, so they don't have to think about what to get me, and I don't get things I don't want. Win win.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Well I've subscribed for the 3 for a fiver offer, if I don't enjoy it like I used to I've gained a mug!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:09 pm Well I've subscribed for the 3 for a fiver offer, if I don't enjoy it like I used to I've gained a mug!
And if you do, so have they 😂

Soz!