Lockdown cookery thread.

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I'm going to make teacakes tomorrow if the flour turns up. My wife will undoubtedly complain at the lack of currants, but she knows well enough by now that currant teacakes are another thing...

ETA: You Scots can stay out of it an' all!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Currants have been ruining baking for too long. The bloody things should be banned. When I go to a tea room people look at me like I’m a freak when I ask if they have a scone without raisins. Why would a want a dried but of snot in my food 🤮
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

As a general observation, this country is overly fond of filling baked goods with dried fruits.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

East Lancs/West Yorks has you covered Mito.

I can still remember the abject disappointment the 1st time I asked for a toasted teacake in the outside world, and what turned up had rat droppings in it. I must've been about 7 at the time and was sure they'd misheard me. Obvs my parents fault for not warning me of the lack of diversity/inclusivity outside our little corner of England. :(
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I would generally agree but today’s baking was oatmeal raisin cookies and they were amazing.
An absolute unit
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Nothing wrong with currants in teacakes! 🤤😎
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:40 pm East Lancs/West Yorks has you covered Mito.

I can still remember the abject disappointment the 1st time I asked for a toasted teacake in the outside world, and what turned up had rat droppings in it. I must've been about 7 at the time and was sure they'd misheard me. Obvs my parents fault for not warning me of the lack of diversity/inclusivity outside our little corner of England. :(
Bloody weirdos.

Teacakes have currents in (and are all the better for it). Without they are just a bread roll. What is wrong with you people?? 😂🤣
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

We tried some basic baking yesterday as it’s not something we do a lot of. We made School Cake, which turned out delicious, really nice and light and perfectly baked. Our bread was disgusting and got thrown in the bin :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Baking is on a bit of a go-slow at the moment due to lack of flour, so here are a couple of low or no flour recipes in case useful to anyone:

Mrs. Nef got a pistachio cake for her birthday today:

250g butter
250g sugar
4 eggs
1 vanilla pod, scraped
zest of 1 lemon
100g ground almonds
120g ground pistachios
40g plain flour (can substitute for more nuts if you're really struggling)

Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 150C

Icing is juice of 1 lemon, 75g of sugar (adjust to how juicy the lemon is) - bring to the boil in in pan to make a thick syrup and add 80g of rough chopped pistachios, and pour over the cooled cake.

Lebanese orange cake

2 whole oranges
250g ground almonds
250g sugar
6 eggs
1 tsp baking powder

Boil oranges in water for 1 1/2 hours, cut in half and pick out the pips. Blitz the rest.
Beat all the eggs (get lots of air in). Mix everything else together (careful not to knock the air out). Butter and flour a spring form tin. Bake at 180c for about 40 mins (it is quite brown when cooked so don't worry!). Glaze with honey while still hot. Serve with yoghurt and honey.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

McSwede wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:05 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:40 pm East Lancs/West Yorks has you covered Mito.

Bloody weirdos.

Teacakes have currents in (and are all the better for it). Without they are just a bread roll. What is wrong with you people?? 😂🤣
It's not just a bread roll though as teacakes are an enriched dough ;) So a teacake is a sweet enriched muffin (white or brown) and a currant teacake has rabbit droppings in. Darn sarf it's also common to put more fruit/peel in and also spices.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:09 pm As a general observation, this country is overly fond of filling baked goods with dried fruits.
We did some hot cross buns at the weekend, with part plain part spelt flour.
No mixed peel so chopped up some dried aprciot and added a few sultanas we had left.
2020-04-12 14.06.12 copy.jpg
2020-04-12 14.06.12 copy.jpg (153.75 KiB) Viewed 2629 times

Also did some nice savoury pancakes, with just egg, cream cheese and spring onions.
Left over crest; tightens.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Tonight was spent making a pineapple upside down cake with a dash of rum and some sultana's.

Also done my third loaf of slow cooker bread. It's a revelation!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It was all good till you got the sultanas out
How about not having a sig at all?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:28 pm It was all good till you got the sultanas out
Delicious 😂
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:28 pm It was all good till you got the sultanas out
You shut your whore mouth, Sales!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Yeah I was all up gor that until the sultanas. Not with rum and pineapple you durrty sod. :(
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:07 pm
Yeah I was all up gor that until the sultanas. Not with rum and pineapple you durrty sod. :(
It'll be delightful. Bugger off 🤣🤣
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

So.... how easy is it to build a nice pizza oven in the garden? One of you must have done it....
Cheers,

Mike.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Ascender wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:30 pm So.... how easy is it to build a nice pizza oven in the garden? One of you must have done it....
I think it was Brian Drought who started me on this path recently. There's been loads of outdoor cooking stuff on Twitter the last couple of weeks.

I'm having a go on the BBQ as per the other thread the weekend subject to being able to buy the 'OO White Gold' 😂

I'd love to see a full brick build 😎
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I think it might be the next project to do while working from home, but not sure if I’ll be able to get the supplies. Will hit Google....
Cheers,

Mike.