Lockdown cookery thread.

jamcg

Re: Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by jamcg »

With regard to burgers, I have one of these (well something similar), works every time for me, I’ve made burgers with 5% fat mince, no egg or anything else, and never had one fall apart after making with this. As for recipes I like to put some softened onions and crushed garlic in mine along with salt and pepper. Also enjoy a nice lamb burger with a bit of mint thrown in

Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

That sounds nice
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Beany wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:37 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:43 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:34 pm Can people post their burger recipies, I've tried making them a few times and they have been absolute disaster.
Mince. Butchers mince is better as it's proper ground beef rather than that stringy stuff you get from supermarkets.

100g/3.5oz of mince balled up tight. You want a hot plate or skillet and a press. Bang it in, flatten with the press and give it a couple of minutes. Turn and then season on the cooked side.

If you want cheese put it on now and find something to cover it with to steam and melt it.

Anything else in the meat mix is just unnecessary tarting about and a waste of ingredients.
I generally agree with this, although I'm lazy enough to use supermarket mince.

Throw it in a bowl, add some salt and pepper (typically not much pepper), ball it up, flatten it down, throw it in the air frier (because it heats up faster than the frying pan, and it drains out most of the fat) for five minutes or so. Warm yer buns in the oven while that's going on.

Can go from a packet of mince to chowing down on chunky, not overly greasy burgers in the space of about 20-30 mins.
I never season the meat raw. Starts to draw the moisture out. Cook it and then season when you first turn it. Can also burn in the pan
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I'm in the middle of making this currently.

https://www.afeliaskitchen.com/classic-keema-matar/

Certainly smells good!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

This is the press I have. Also great for getting flat bacon etc.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I need to get baking - recently placed an order with an Italian catering supplier that's started doing home delivery and for £2 I have a kilo of fresh yeast :shock:

Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:00 pm
I never season the meat raw. Starts to draw the moisture out. Cook it and then season when you first turn it. Can also burn in the pan
I ignored this and put some salt on six (fairly thinly cut*) pork loin steaks - you know, supermarket spec. Was going to have some parmentier potatoes with it, but the pack wasn't sealed properly so I decided to bin 'em rather than risk it, which was annoying. I should probably do 'em myself in future, it's not like they're complex. Diced tatties with some oil and herbs ain't rocket science I suppose.

Wanged the pork in the air frier for about eight minutes in two batches, came out nice - crispy fat, cooked nicely.

I do like a bit of pork, so I should probably drop into the local butcher when available, as opposed to Asda, for the next lot - be nicer meat, and thicker too, which will make it nicer to cook.

*I'm still pretty fucking hungry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Who doesn’t like nice thick meat
How about not having a sig at all?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:38 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:00 pm
I ignored this and put some salt on six (fairly thinly cut*) pork loin steaks - you know, supermarket spec. Was going to have some parmentier potatoes with it, but the pack wasn't sealed properly so I decided to bin 'em rather than risk it, which was annoying. I should probably do 'em myself in future, it's not like they're complex. Diced tatties with some oil and herbs ain't rocket science I suppose.

Wanged the pork in the air frier for about eight minutes in two batches, came out nice - crispy fat, cooked nicely.

I do like a bit of pork, so I should probably drop into the local butcher when available, as opposed to Asda, for the next lot - be nicer meat, and thicker too, which will make it nicer to cook.

*I'm still pretty fucking hungry
I love doing Parmentier potatoes at home. I steam them to part cook them then let them sit for a few mins to lose some water. While still warm toss in oil, garlic puree and finely chopped rosemary then wack them in a hot oven. Bloody lovely!!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:54 pm Who doesn’t like nice thick meat
It's gotta be hot though. If it's not hot, it isn't as satisfying as it slips it's juice down your throat.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I've got a nice 2.5kg leg of lamb to slow roast on the Weber this afternoon. Very much looking forward to it. Need to prep a run and then get the charcoal snake ready.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

McSwede wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:57 am I've got a nice 2.5kg leg of lamb to slow roast on the Weber this afternoon. Very much looking forward to it. Need to prep a run and then get the charcoal snake ready.
Now with garlic and herb coating.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

My leg of lamb (same size as yours) went in the oven about 20 mins ago. Good noises coming from it.

Sauce is being made and I'm about to start on the roasties. Will use the last of the goose fat from Christmas (because you know why and also clears a bit of space in the freezer).
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:40 am My leg of lamb (same size as yours) went in the oven about 20 mins ago. Good noises coming from it.

Sauce is being made and I'm about to start on the roasties. Will use the last of the goose fat from Christmas (because you know why and also clears a bit of space in the freezer).
Lol. I used the last of my goose fat last night browning some chicken thighs and then cooking onions and peppers for a one pot/thrown together type dish. Goose fat is awesome.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

McSwede wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:57 am I've got a nice 2.5kg leg of lamb to slow roast on the Weber this afternoon. Very much looking forward to it. Need to prep a run and then get the charcoal snake ready.
Isn't cooking on carbs* a major fire risk? :o

*Ask your dads.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

PaulJ wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:48 pm
Isn't cooking on carbs* a major fire risk? :o

*Ask your dads.
The stale petrol gives the lamb a certain "tang". 😂
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I made a huge Cottage Pie to try and get some veg into the kids the weekend, I snuck over a kilo of them in there 8-)

It went down really well.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We're on the leftover lamb tonight. Made a coleslaw and am braising some fennel and onions to try to use up odds and ends.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:12 pm We're on the leftover lamb tonight. Made a coleslaw and am braising some fennel and onions to try to use up odds and ends.
Cooked a leg of lamb in the slow cooker for 8hours last weekend, don't think I'll ever cook one in the oven again, was superb 🤯
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

She ain't pretty ☹️

I'm hoping a bit of butter and leftovers will make it edible 😂

I think it was too wet.