Lockdown cookery thread.

dinny_g

Re: Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by dinny_g »

Looks lovely Nef…

I’m sure we’ve discussed this before but If I was cooking for than many, I’d bring a crate of my own kit. Knives, pans, pots stuff like ricer and mandolin, hand mixer for sauces and soups etc.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

On the opposite end of the scale, I found microwave Sag Aloo in Lidl tonight, so got some microwave rice to go with it.

Five minutes flat and I've got a not exactly astounding, but perfectly serviceable dinner that's different to the usual microwave/air fried tat I go for after a long hard week of utter bullshit (ongoing - got a couple of applications in with major companies, don't intend to have many more weeks like this).

That's all I have to add to this conversation :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s a 5 guys and Dr Pepper type evening for me 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

An excellent Choice sir

lettuce, jalapeños, Grilled Mushrooms, Mustard, Ketchup for me. No bacon.

What’s your toppings mito??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

All the toppings apart from Jalapeños and green peppers. I’ll usually change the sauce depending on how I feel. Cajun fries.
Always end up drinking too much from the soft drinks machine and desperately trying to not piss myself walking back home 😂
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I haven't "cooked" a meal properly since mid-March. Fingers crossed that next week the last few finishing touches will be completed in the new kitchen.

Better had as we've got guests for a week from Fri and we haven't used the new hob (induction) or ovens yet. Will be a case of learning on the job!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:52 pm An excellent Choice sir

lettuce, jalapeños, Grilled Mushrooms, Mustard, Ketchup for me. No bacon.

What’s your toppings mito??
Hot sauce, grilled onions and mushrooms on mine. All washed down with lashings of black grape Fanta.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I've never been so supremely underwhelmed by a fast food joint as the time that I tried a Five-Guys up in Leeds a couple of years back when I had some time to kill before a meeting. Utterly average 'skin on' chips, tasteless greasy burger patties and mediocre bread. Tell me that was a one-off because I've never been back since it was so poor.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Beany wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:24 pm On the opposite end of the scale, I found microwave Sag Aloo in Lidl tonight, so got some microwave rice to go with it.

Five minutes flat and I've got a not exactly astounding, but perfectly serviceable dinner that's different to the usual microwave/air fried tat I go for after a long hard week of utter bullshit (ongoing - got a couple of applications in with major companies, don't intend to have many more weeks like this).

Your a 10 minute walk from the Aagrah!

Go there!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Simon wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:41 pm I've never been so supremely underwhelmed by a fast food joint as the time that I tried a Five-Guys up in Leeds a couple of years back when I had some time to kill before a meeting. Utterly average 'skin on' chips, tasteless greasy burger patties and mediocre bread. Tell me that was a one-off because I've never been back since it was so poor.
I find their quality really varies branch to branch. I once went to one in Broadstairs which was so bad that I didn't go to 5 guys for about a year afterwards.The burger just tasted like grease. Likewise the King's Road branch is pretty shite...
Beany

Post by Beany »

16vCento wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:51 pm
Beany wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:24 pm On the opposite end of the scale, I found microwave Sag Aloo in Lidl tonight, so got some microwave rice to go with it.

Your a 10 minute walk from the Aagrah!

Go there!
I'm not a twenty quid wallet from it though. I'm also closer to East I think ;)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:41 pm I've never been so supremely underwhelmed by a fast food joint as the time that I tried a Five-Guys up in Leeds a couple of years back when I had some time to kill before a meeting. Utterly average 'skin on' chips, tasteless greasy burger patties and mediocre bread. Tell me that was a one-off because I've never been back since it was so poor.
I have been to quite a few. The burgers are always under-seasoned, and my wife has now had ill effects from eating one so I’m very happy not to go back. Independent places like The Beefy Boys (Hereford) are so much nicer.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:02 pm tasteless greasy burger patties and mediocre bread
Don’t ever eat in Hooters in the states… :shock:

I’ve only got 5 Guys from the Milton Keynes ones and they’ve never put a foot wrong.

You’re right about a good independent though. There’s a great one in Newport Pagnell
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.gaze ... 211574.amp

We’ve just got the first 5 guys drive through in the country. Not been as the queues have been ridiculous, article says 40mins
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I know it’s fast food, but based on the waiting in restaurants even when not busy, it’s not really fast enough for a drive-thru.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’d have thought it wouldn’t work well for that reason. They only start cooking once you give your order unlike other fast food places where they have everything already available on a heated shelf. I’m guessing there will be a few more cases of food poisoning.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

My wife came home with Goat meat from a little farm shop yesterday and we knocked up some jerk goat kebabs on the griddle pan.

Lamby Beef meatiness 😎
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:46 am I’d have thought it wouldn’t work well for that reason. They only start cooking once you give your order unlike other fast food places where they have everything already available on a heated shelf. I’m guessing there will be a few more cases of food poisoning.
I don’t think “Start when you Order” will work, especially when busy. Patties will end up cooked ahead, Dry burgers will follow etc
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:35 am I know it’s fast food, but based on the waiting in restaurants even when not busy, it’s not really fast enough for a drive-thru.
Oh and this…
mik

Post by mik »

Not cookery, but.... just tried these today. Genuinely hot!