Holiday Refunds Thread

Broccers

Re: Holiday Refunds Thread

Post by Broccers »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:05 pm Just noted this this morning...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11447250/ ... d-october/

I gather that this applies to the whole island chain, not just Tenerife. So that appears to be that for my trip. Should make refunds easier.

@Rev - you're folks live out there don't they...
Cant see anyone wanting to get on a plane to be honest :D
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I really didn't want to go Broccers, even if travel restrictions were lifted but as I say, should make refunds easier (Unless EasyJet go bankrupt between now and Mid July... :shock: )
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:33 pm I really didn't want to go Broccers, even if travel restrictions were lifted but as I say, should make refunds easier (Unless EasyJet go bankrupt between now and Mid July... :shock: )
Agree. I dont want a holiday for years after this, I'll never moan about being busy at work ever again :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:05 pm@Rev - you're folks live out there don't they...
Yeah, I’ve got family out there. It’s not great for them.

My sister was cabin crew for Norwegian, based in Tenerife and has just been laid off a couple of days ago (she was previously furloughed), one of my brothers has a business taking tourists paragliding and obviously there’s no tourists for the foreseeable future, and my other brother is a commercial grower supplying garden centres and hotels with plants but they’re all shut.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Bad times...

Hopefully there will be enough Spanish holidaymakers soon enough to turn things around for them.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:37 pm Agree. I dont want a holiday for years after this, I'll never moan about being busy at work ever again :lol:
Be positive!

I can’t understand why people are morning about being furloughed; getting paid most of their salary while not needing to do any work is not going to happen often. Why not do all those things you’ve been putting off? The weather has been lovely.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:06 pm
Broccers wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:37 pm Agree. I dont want a holiday for years after this, I'll never moan about being busy at work ever again :lol:
Be positive!

I can’t understand why people are morning about being furloughed; getting paid most of their salary while not needing to do any work is not going to happen often. Why not do all those things you’ve been putting off? The weather has been lovely.
That's ok to say but for a lot of people £2500gross is a big pay cut especially if you factor in BIK. Luckily in our company the guys who have been furloughed are getting 90% gross but I'd rather keep working on 100% if I'm honest.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I’d glad I wasn’t selected. Stay involved, picked up some choice projects.

If I could travel to the house we’re about to put on the market then yeah possibly but there’s not that many projects in our current rental place
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:06 pm
Be positive!

Could you cover your bills on the equivalent of £30k A year without having to raid savings? I know I couldn’t.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

You know the furlough scheme covers your employer, not you? They’re obliged to pay your contracted salary. If an employer is only paying to the employee what they get from the government then they’re in breach of contract.

There are plenty of people out there busier than ever, getting no recognition for it. My sympathies lie with them, and people who have been made redundant, not those who are getting my tax money for sitting in the garden and moaning they’re bored.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:58 pm Could you cover your bills on the equivalent of £30k A year without having to raid savings? I know I couldn’t.
You can take a 3 month mortgage holiday, credit card payment holiday, loan payment holiday.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:15 pm You know the furlough scheme covers your employer, not you? They’re obliged to pay your contracted salary. If an employer is only paying to the employee what they get from the government then they’re in breach of contract.

There are plenty of people out there busier than ever, getting no recognition for it. My sympathies lie with them, and people who have been made redundant, not those who are getting my tax money for sitting in the garden and moaning they’re bored.
i don’t have any sympathy for peoples boredom, no, I’ve worked harder in the last 5 weeks than ever.

That first part is very interesting though, surely it’s some form of amendment to your contract that you have to agree to anyway to say you’re not doing any work. Anyone on here been furloughed and how was it offered?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

My step daughter had to sign something to say she was still an employee of the company, would start work again whenever they decided with reasonable notice ( I think one week) and not take employment anywhere else during the period.

And yes, I'm fed up of listening to people moaning about how bored they are, how hard it is to stay at home while getting paid to do sod all.

My mrs wanted me to take this week off, but as we're still open, still busy, I would have to take it as holiday or unpaid.
Cheers, Harry
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:15 pm You know the furlough scheme covers your employer, not you? They’re obliged to pay your contracted salary. If an employer is only paying to the employee what they get from the government then they’re in breach of contract.
Many companies are not topping up meaning those on Furlough are only receiving the 80%

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... -furlough/

Your employer can choose to 'top up' the Government grant. It can pay your full salary while you're furloughed – but it's not obliged to do this. And indeed, many won't have the funds to be able to do this.

Would you have grounds - breach of Contract etc - to appeal this if you’re only receiving the 80%??

Edit - asking on behalf of two people I know currently on 6 weeks furlough who are only receiving 80% of their contracted salary. Cheers
Beany

Post by Beany »

Well I've been paid as thought I'm furloughed, that's for sure.

Which is a bit odd given we have taken on two new staff this month.

Ah no wait, the CEO has a vendetta against me, that explains it.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

By my understanding of furlough is by its very definition is unpaid leave, it just so happens to have changed meaning in the current situation because of the governments offer to pay 80% of your wages. I had to sign a document to give permission to my company to furlough me
Beany

Post by Beany »

Beany wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:13 am Well I've been paid as thought I'm furloughed, that's for sure.

Which is a bit odd given we have taken on two new staff this month.

Ah no wait, the CEO has a vendetta against me, that explains it.
Hey, it's OK, the CEO just wanted to teach me a lesson by fucking with my pay, and now that he has, he's going to pay me correctly.

It's like a bad episode of The Office, I swear to fuck.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:52 am
Many companies are not topping up meaning those on Furlough are only receiving the 80%

Your employer can choose to 'top up' the Government grant. It can pay your full salary while you're furloughed – but it's not obliged to do this. And indeed, many won't have the funds to be able to do this.

Would you have grounds - breach of Contract etc - to appeal this if you’re only receiving the 80%??

Edit - asking on behalf of two people I know currently on 6 weeks furlough who are only receiving 80% of their contracted salary. Cheers

Companies don't have to offer you a penny. 80% of normal is better than 0% if the company goes bust because they can't afford to keep paying people who aren't working.

I'll quite happily take 80% of my wages to sit around on my arse all day for a couple of months with a bare minimum of outgoings treating it like a long bank holiday like a lot of people seem to be doing.

Look forward to all the posts from people saying they can't possibly survive on only £2500 a month 🙄
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:54 am
dinny_g wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:52 am

Companies don't have to offer you a penny. 80% of normal is better than 0% if the company goes bust because they can't afford to keep paying people who aren't working.

I'll quite happily take 80% of my wages to sit around on my arse all day for a couple of months with a bare minimum of outgoings treating it like a long bank holiday like a lot of people seem to be doing.

Look forward to all the posts from people saying they can't possibly survive on only £2500 a month 🙄
Lets hope it doesn’t go on for more than a couple of months then!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It’s an odd one, our household bills are £2300 a month.

Nearly £2800 if you include nursery, and some clubs Maxwell goes to.

No nursery now and also the £250 childcare before tax doodad the wife was getting.

Fuel bills are zero, electric is more but I’d say in total we are on about £2100 or so.

That’s with no credit card and all insurances are paid yearly. I can definitely see some people struggling but how necessarily I don’t know. Lots of stuff is all paid monthly now for most people.

Dave!