Coronavirus

duncs500

Re: Coronavirus

Post by duncs500 »

I'm probably going to be heavily mocked here, but this blood clot stuff does play on my mind a bit. My mum nearly died of DVT when she was my age, and I've already had covid so don't particularly feel like that is going to kill me. They've stopped giving AZ to under 30s, but I don't see that the covid risk to me really balances out the blood clot risk at 39 either.

I don't know, maybe I'm being daft, I'll probably be forced to get it so I can get into the pub anyway, but I've gone from being keen to being reluctant.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:07 pm Don't forget to book it for a Sunday/Monday. If you're feeling rough enough you can arrange it so that you miss most of a week of work. Never book it for a Thursday/Friday as you don't want to spoil a perfectly good weekend.
That's exactly why I booked for a Friday. Bloody workshy employees :lol:
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Had my first Astra Zeneca jab on Wednesday, had an odd headache come on a few hours after that persisted through the night and into the next day. Suddenly at 3pm almost exactly 24 hours after having the jab I felt freezing cold and achy, went home and deteriorated quickly. Everything hurt, headache was worse so I went to bed. Sleep was impossible as my heart was beating so fast it was painful! A check on the heart rate app on the watch triggered it's alarm sowing a resting rate of 95bpm :shock: this is compared to an average of 62 for me. I spent the rest of the night feeling red hot and soaked in sweat yet the slightest movement felt like ice had been poured over me. Feeling better this morning, heart rate is 58bpm but headache is still there.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Went out for a few beers and pizza last night. Was freezing cold but good to be out. Realised I hadn’t missed it as much as I thought I had though 🤷‍♂️
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:51 pm I'm probably going to be heavily mocked here, but this blood clot stuff does play on my mind a bit. My mum nearly died of DVT when she was my age, and I've already had covid so don't particularly feel like that is going to kill me. They've stopped giving AZ to under 30s, but I don't see that the covid risk to me really balances out the blood clot risk at 39 either.

I don't know, maybe I'm being daft, I'll probably be forced to get it so I can get into the pub anyway, but I've gone from being keen to being reluctant.
1 in 1,000,000+ risk of blood clots is pretty low even if it does turn out to be linked to the vaccine.

I believe the risk of getting blood clots post Covid infection is higher as has happened to 2 of my mates one of whom is 41.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, there's a higher blood clot risk with the contraceptive pill and they're handed out like sweets.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Also worth noting that one of the authors behind the study into the AZ vaccine and clotting issues has been previously bankrolled by Pfizer. He didn't declare it though and is now insisting it's not relevant...
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

If the risk is lower than the contraceptive pill, why have they stopped giving it to under 30s?

I read lower than 1 in 1,000,000 somewhere. Isn't it concerning that they don't know? At first they were saying it can't be connected, but that's changed, I can't help thinking that they don't fully understand the mechanisms at play.

Anyway, I'll probably still have it, but it is a cause for concern.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If you're going to delve so deep into statistics then I suggest you don't step foot into a pub or a car ever again.
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:20 am If the risk is lower than the contraceptive pill, why have they stopped giving it to under 30s?

I read lower than 1 in 1,000,000 somewhere. Isn't it concerning that they don't know? At first they were saying it can't be connected, but that's changed, I can't help thinking that they don't fully understand the mechanisms at play.

Anyway, I'll probably still have it, but it is a cause for concern.
From the articles I’ve read it looks like the risk from the vaccine is stated at anything from 1 in 200,000 to 1 in 1,000,000. Which is admittedly quite a big difference.

The risk from the pill goes from 1 in 1000 to 1 in 10,000 depending on the type of pill you’re taking.

More study needs to be done on the vaccine risk but health authorities in multiple countries are looking into it.

I think there’s a fair amount of the scare tactics that have been going around since the vaccines first came out happening though.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:20 am If the risk is lower than the contraceptive pill, why have they stopped giving it to under 30s?
Cos the Pill has been on the go for years and risks are very well understood - Covid vaccines are new and both manufacturers and health authorities are being hyper-cautious about assessing risks as more data is collected.

Politicians, press and self-proclaimed public experts are everywhere waiting to point fingers, cast aspersions and drive their own agendas.

With instance rates so low it is likely to require updates to risk factors on product documentation rather than causing an effective product to be pulled from the market.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Lansaprazole get handed out all the time by doctors, a listed side effect of these is fractures to hips, wrists, knees etc. The frequency of that side effect- 1 in 100. And no I’ve not missed any zeros off that number
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

jamcg wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:47 am Lansaprazole get handed out all the time by doctors, a listed side effect of these is fractures to hips, wrists, knees etc. The frequency of that side effect- 1 in 100. And no I’ve not missed any zeros off that number
The bastards never told me that and I was on it for a few years :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

A few of the listed side effects for a medication I'm on are things I'm taking it specifically to try and counter :lol:.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:53 am
jamcg wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:47 am Lansaprazole get handed out all the time by doctors, a listed side effect of these is fractures to hips, wrists, knees etc. The frequency of that side effect- 1 in 100. And no I’ve not missed any zeros off that number
The bastards never told me that and I was on it for a few years :lol:
Except clearly within the patient instruction leaflet inside every single box you received without fail.

Aka the bit of paper you discarded every time you opened a box.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jab done!

Very slick operation. 5 minute wait, jab and then sent in my way. No waiting around after. Just told not to drive for 15 mins. They even sorted my other half straight away even though her appointment was an 90 mins later.

Only got a sore arm for now buts it’s early days. :lol:
Last edited by dinny_g on Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Have to ask why. Why are we all being jabbed when rates are low anyway as it's getting warmer.

In not so many years the description of a pandemic will be reviewed. This isn't and won't ever be one.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:54 pm Have to ask why. Why are we all being jabbed when rates are low anyway as it's getting warmer.

because it takes months to get everyone vaccinated - they don't pop their head out the window, look at the sky and think "it's getting warmer, let's stop the multi-million person vaccine programme we started in December".
Broccers wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:54 pm In not so many years the description of a pandemic will be reviewed. This isn't and won't ever be one.
It is, but we've all worked very hard and given up a lot to try and deal with it.
Last edited by Rich B on Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:54 pm Have to ask why. Why are we all being jabbed when rates are low anyway as it's getting warmer.

In not so many years the description of a pandemic will be reviewed. This isn't and won't ever be one.
Have you become a COVID denier now? The definition of a pandemic doesn't change, it's a standard word: https://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/89/7/11-088815/en/
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

It exists. It's not a pandemic.