Coronavirus

unzippy

Re: Coronavirus

Post by unzippy »

KiwiDave wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:15 pm
unzippy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:00 pm Double jabbed and boosted here. Flew to home to the UK for Christmas, had three weeks of fun but have finally tested positive on the lateral flow.
If it wasn't for the result I would have thought I had a mild cold. I'm still failing the lateral flows (first negative was Thurs just gone) and I need to pass a PCR before they let me on the plane, due to fly this Sunday :roll:
Sorry to hear it got you. Friend here just did four weeks back in the UK, seemed to do 25 tests a day based on her FB and made it all the way back unscathed. Did have an extended stay in quarantine due to an exposure event with a positive test at the hotel but home now. I'm not quite sure how she managed to avoid it tbh. :?
No regrets here. Isolating with the old man, pottering about the garage etc. Installed him a new washing machine, new heater tubes and LEDs in the 2CV. Not too bad when Tesco/Amazon/Restaurants deliver on demand :lol: ;)
I thought NZ was internationally locked until Feb or April? Or is that WA?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

unzippy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:17 am No regrets here. Isolating with the old man, pottering about the garage etc. Installed him a new washing machine, new heater tubes and LEDs in the 2CV. Not too bad when Tesco/Amazon/Restaurants deliver on demand :lol: ;)
I thought NZ was internationally locked until Feb or April? Or is that WA?
Yeah they've pushed back border relaxations - still only NZ citizens getting in. Brought forward third dose timeframes to four months and want to get as many people triple jabbed as well as the 5-12yr old child vaxes done ASAP. Banking that on being able to hold Omicron at the border til then which is a tall order. Cases counts (all Delta) coming right down at the moment though which means either A) we're close to defeating Delta (which no one has done have they?) or B) everyone's given up getting tested over Xmas while the country opened up for travel around the regions. I think it'll be the second option and if so that means we've got Delta floating around with no tracing and treatment - by my counts that isn't good news, so either that or Omicron will be kicking in hard pretty soon.

But there's a lot of different levels of understanding within population currently - wildly differing views on how much risk to take or not take.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

nuttinnew wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:48 pm Parent;
"It's ok, I've done the tests, I haven't got Covid."
"What have you got?"
"Bronchitis."
:roll:

I miss one ways at supermarkets, it seemed smoother and easier.

@unzippy Good luck.
What's the issue with bronchitis?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:45 am
nuttinnew wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:48 pm Parent;
"It's ok, I've done the tests, I haven't got Covid."
"What have you got?"
"Bronchitis."
:roll:

I miss one ways at supermarkets, it seemed smoother and easier.

@unzippy Good luck.
What's the issue with bronchitis?
Hopefully there won't be one, but he's self diagnosed, and it's never "just" with him; there's always something else. He's very run down by it, at least be on the up a bit before declaring 'tis but a flesh wound.
mik

Post by mik »

unzippy

Post by unzippy »

What's the collective knowledge regarding lateral flows and PCR?
From my understanding PCR is a lot more sensitive than the LF, I'm sure I read somewhere that the PCR will still return a positive a result weeks after passing a negative LF - is that true?

I need to pass a PCR to get on the plane but really don't want to be waiting weeks, Melbourne's BBQ scene needs me ;)
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Yes, PCRs will give a false positive for a while.
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

PCR's are the only test NZ have used for the whole pandemic so far (until like last week I think) as they're the most fit for purpose and most accurate.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

This is the latest I've seen, from BBC news a few days ago.

I guess after a couple of weeks there'll still be a chance of a false positive from a PCR but hopefully should be rare.
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

Is it a false positive if you still have it, but you're out of the infectious period?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Had a message from school earlier. Four children and the teacher in the middle ones class has tested positive. LTFs all round, and they're negative which is a relief. Will test again tomorrow.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Feeling a little groggy and achy this morning. Did an LFT. Positive. Arse.
As was our son, but not our daughter (she had it a few months ago), nor my wife.
PCRs for me and the boy just done so awaiting the results.
Reckon I got it off the boy as other kids in his class have been off with it.
Left over crest; tightens.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That's not good! Hopefully nothing worse than what you're feeling now.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

Sister-in-law just tested positive again. First time last year when she was pregnant. Being in Brazil she likely had the Brazil variant last time and Omicron this time. Only had her booster yesterday so not yet had the chance to build up the benefit from it.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Amazing how many people are still buying into this. Devolved governments still loving the power with zero evidence that having 500 people at the football solves anything.

I suspect quietly everyone is just carrying on as normal and ignoring the rules and 'science' :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:40 am Amazing how many people are still buying into this. Devolved governments still loving the power with zero evidence that having 500 people at the football solves anything.

I suspect quietly everyone is just carrying on as normal and ignoring the rules and 'science' :lol:
which part specifically?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Gws @JonMad @Simon
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:38 am
Broccers wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:40 am Amazing how many people are still buying into this. Devolved governments still loving the power with zero evidence that having 500 people at the football solves anything.

which part specifically?
Loads of specifics but in England plan B restrictions should have been lifted weeks ago.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

nuttinnew wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:57 am Gws @JonMad @Simon
All of that ⬆️
Barry

Post by Barry »

Broccers wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:01 pm
Rich B wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:38 am

which part specifically?
Loads of specifics but in England plan B restrictions should have been lifted weeks ago.
Scotland and Wales had two or three multiples of cases compared to England, Dec/Jan, with much more stringent restrictions in place. Now, you could argue that would have been far worse without those restrictions, or they weren't worth a w@nk and it was just political posturing.
Either way, we look to be coming back down nicely so lets hope we all see this drop to more manageable levels soon. Media seem confident Boris will let the rules fall back on Jan26th, when the current law extension runs out anyway..