Coronavirus

Nefarious

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nefarious »

Marv wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:42 am Probably the work of Dominic Cummings again.

"If we get the public to turn on each other, then they won't come after us"
It's a political strategy as old as the hills - people, being human, find it a lot easier to have a strong emotional response to other people (especially those they already have prejudices against) than to faceless systems. Since pretty much the dawn of time, rich people have taken money from poor people, and convinced the poor people to blame each other for their situation.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I haven't been paying that much attention TBH, but has there been a lot of blame rhetoric from the government?The media have been stoking up non-compliance stories as the media always do.

Is anyone really in any doubt that increases were inevitable in a country like ours?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Broccers wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:18 am
integrale_evo wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:15 am
Mito Man wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:47 am Good to know coronavirus only infects people after 10pm.
The longer people drink the more lairy they get and more likely they are to ignore any guidance.

Hardly rocket science is it. Seems a reasonable measure to do something without completely destroying the industry with a total shutdown again?
You're right but people historically when pubs shut at 3pm in days gone by would cram as much alcohol down before closing time - it will also create more dense crowds as the drinking window is smaller.
It's 10pm though, not 3pm. Most of the pubs I go to call last orders at 10.30 or 11pm anyway.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:26 am
integrale_evo wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:15 am

The longer people drink the more lairy they get and more likely they are to ignore any guidance.

Hardly rocket science is it. Seems a reasonable measure to do something without completely destroying the industry with a total shutdown again?
You're right but people historically when pubs shut at 3pm in days gone by would cram as much alcohol down before closing time - it will also create more dense crowds as the drinking window is smaller.
It's 10pm though, not 3pm. Most of the pubs I go to call last orders at 10.30 or 11pm anyway.
You're probably too young to know what I am talking about. People actually got bladdered at lunchtime years ago.

The Licencing Act of 1921 extended opening hours again: 11.30 am – 3 pm and 5.30-10 pm., Monday to Saturday and 12.30-2.30 pm. and 7-10 pm. on Sundays. These hours were in force until the next session of the local licencing committee who could amend them as long as they did not extend the total number of opening hours.

Until till it changed in the 90s
Last edited by Broccers on Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, no one ever gets drunk at lunchtime anymore :lol:
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Broccers wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:29 am
duncs500 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:26 am

You're probably too young to know what I am talking about. People actually got bladdered at lunchtime years ago.
That's the only time to get bladdered still! I'm always too tired to drink until late, lunch time drinking is where it's at.

I know what you mean though, I work in construction and the tales of going to the pub at lunch from the generation above me are pretty legendary.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:31 am Yeah, no one ever gets drunk at lunchtime anymore :lol:
Not when working no. It's frowned upon altho with home working people are probably on all sorts by lunchtime.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I work in construction, our Thursday sessions usually start at lunch and end Late. Fridays are collectively written off.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:33 am I work in construction, our Thursday sessions usually start at lunch and end Late. Fridays are collectively written off.
8-) Living the dream Rich.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:33 am I work in construction, our Thursday sessions usually start at lunch and end Late. Fridays are collectively written off.
Basically the same as insurance brokers in the city :lol:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Seems to just be another thing someone has suggested at a brainstorming meeting and they've gone with it in the absence of an actual strategy.

Let's see what tonight brings from our esteemed leaders...

Seems to be as follows...

5 rules-
1) office workers should work from home if they can
2) 10pm curfew
3) Facemasks in retail and taxis
4) Tighten legal enforcement
5) Tighten up rule of six - weddings 15 max, funerals 30, no indoor team sports
Cheers,

Mike.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Looks like I'm WFH until 2021 then...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I notice he only referred to 10s of thousands of cases/day by October. Nicely vague in light of the criticisms widely circulating now about the bullshit "extrapolation" presented by Vallance and Whitty yesterday.

I think we've reached the point where they're starting to lose the public in greater numbers.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Doesn't look like anything will practically change then. Most people I know are either fed up of the whole thing, or think the government have been a shambles from the start and missed any opportunity they had to make people take the measures like masks seriously.

I await the panic buying starting again as this is only going to go in one direction.

When/how can we get rid of the government?
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

What I don't get is, even if you can stretch your head around the logic of bars having to shut at 10pm, why do restaurants need to be affected? Or do they think the British public, when faced with not being able to pub it past 10pm will be seeking out their local Michelin recommended restaurant for a few more drinks?
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GG.

Post by GG. »

They would potentially pile into take-aways so you can determine the logic of applying the curfew to all non-delivery services.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Takeaways are allowed to stay open aren't they?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

The difference in the 'rule of six' between England and elsewhere is a bit annoying, and will be especially over Christmas. My sister has three kids below the age of 5, because it's England they can therfore only have one more guest. If it was Wales she could have three more, which is significant.

I think it will mean a lot of people will just ignore the rules anyway.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:26 pm Takeaways are allowed to stay open aren't they?
Only for deliveries past 10pm.
GG.

Post by GG. »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:34 pm The difference in the 'rule of six' between England and elsewhere is a bit annoying, and will be especially over Christmas. My sister has three kids below the age of 5, because it's England they can therfore only have one more guest. If it was Wales she could have three more, which is significant.

I think it will mean a lot of people will just ignore the rules anyway.
I think there will be some sort of relaxation during the Christmas period (assuming we are not at the peak of a second wave).