Coronavirus

Foz

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Foz »

Yep, the thought of sitting on a plane and airport masked up for a bit of sun isn’t as appealing right now..

Can’t see me going abroad til ‘22
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Everyone seems to think as soon as UK gets it’s shit together they’ll be off on holiday, completely ignoring the country at the other ends needs to be sorted aswell........
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

jamcg wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:44 am Everyone seems to think as soon as UK gets it’s shit together they’ll be off on holiday, completely ignoring the country at the other ends needs to be sorted aswell........
I think most people do get that, hence every holiday home and resort in the U.K. is booked out.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Tell my Mrs please. She's desperate to take the little'un to EuroDisney. Apart from the fact that he's both too young to appreciate it, too young to understand the film references and too young to use a lot of the rides, France is still in the midst of the pandemic, partly at least due to their existing vaccine hesitancy being fuelled by Macron's stupid comments.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

GF has booked Ibiza for July :?
Simon

Post by Simon »

On another subject, what's everyone's company attitude to travel?

Our travel moratorium has been extended to the end of September (we need SVP approval if we want to go see a customer). What's more the WFH mandate has been extended till the end of the year (irrelevant for me as my office has closed and therefore I'm now permanently WFH).

Finally, even if a regional office does open no-one has to use it until the pandemic is over.

As far as client visits are concerned, I'll be refusing to see anyone until both myself AND my wife have had both jabs. Reading around because of her previous GD and current BMI it's likely she should be on the shielding and vulnerable lists but it hasn't been communicated at all, so I'll be taking no risks with her.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

240PP wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:52 am GF has booked Ibiza for July :?
Going to happen?

A friend of mine went to Tennergrief in October on hols and only came back as few days ago as freedom to travel made it impossible to stay any longer. Currently locked in his own home for 10 nights. Begs the question how would it work coming back from hols? One week away, 10 locked up when you return? Wouldn't be worth going. Hope you have cover to be able to ditch it.
Simon

Post by Simon »

For her? Sounds like you'll have a bit of peace at home, lovely.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Simon wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:20 pm
For her? Sounds like you'll have a bit of peace at home, lovely.
Can Imagine it'll be banging off your nut at a safe distance :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Simon wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:33 am Tell my Mrs please. She's desperate to take the little'un to EuroDisney. Apart from the fact that he's both too young to appreciate it, too young to understand the film references and too young to use a lot of the rides, France is still in the midst of the pandemic, partly at least due to their existing vaccine hesitancy being fuelled by Macron's stupid comments.
We went 3 years ago and found it a little underwhelming TBH. My daughter was so excited to see all the Disney Princesses! When we were in the there were virtually no characters roaming around. You had to queue, as if for a ride to meet a Princess. Which one it was was random and pot luck as no warning in advance as to whom it may be. Queues were about 2hrs so we sacked that off.

Only time we saw them was at the parade and you had to find a spot about an hour before the start otherwise it's ten deep and no good for the kids.

I wouldn't go back.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We have flights to Barcelona booked for the May, re-arranged from last Summer’s trip to Maspalomas. We wanted a refund last year but travel wasn’t banned at that point, so it was rearrange or write it off.

I still don’t want to go.

What are the chances of getting a refund this year???
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mark_bt52

Post by Mark_bt52 »

McSwede wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:30 pm
Simon wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:33 am Tell my Mrs please. She's desperate to take the little'un to EuroDisney. Apart from the fact that he's both too young to appreciate it, too young to understand the film references and too young to use a lot of the rides, France is still in the midst of the pandemic, partly at least due to their existing vaccine hesitancy being fuelled by Macron's stupid comments.
We went 3 years ago and found it a little underwhelming TBH. My daughter was so excited to see all the Disney Princesses! When we were in the there were virtually no characters roaming around. You had to queue, as if for a ride to meet a Princess. Which one it was was random and pot luck as no warning in advance as to whom it may be. Queues were about 2hrs so we sacked that off.

Only time we saw them was at the parade and you had to find a spot about an hour before the start otherwise it's ten deep and no good for the kids.

I wouldn't go back.
We did Orlando Disney and Universal a few years ago and then did Disney Paris the following year. Was just as hot when we went as it was in Orlando and we all agreed that for a single park Disney Paris was better than all of the US ones.
Nissan GT-R / Audi S4./ BMW 530d
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Broccers wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:15 pm
Going to happen?
Probably not. Her friends booked it then told her. She can cancel and refund if not. Or if it’s too much hassle.

She had to cancel Dubai in Feb already so I think they’re clutching at straws.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Simon wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:52 am On another subject, what's everyone's company attitude to travel?

Our travel moratorium has been extended to the end of September (we need SVP approval if we want to go see a customer). What's more the WFH mandate has been extended till the end of the year (irrelevant for me as my office has closed and therefore I'm now permanently WFH).

Finally, even if a regional office does open no-one has to use it until the pandemic is over.

As far as client visits are concerned, I'll be refusing to see anyone until both myself AND my wife have had both jabs. Reading around because of her previous GD and current BMI it's likely she should be on the shielding and vulnerable lists but it hasn't been communicated at all, so I'll be taking no risks with her.
No change for us. Not seen any timescales announced, but the policy is unchanged: still need board level approval to travel, and customer meetings are a flat no. We've had customers demand that people go to meetings and they've been told no, in no uncertain terms.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

It's very strange for me now, I really struggled with working from home previously, but I'm now 5 weeks into a new job and with it being all I've known with my new firm I'm actually getting used to it and don't mind it anymore. Due to certain circumstances the project teams have now been set up all across the country and so I'm not sure I can see going back to normal office working even if life does. My role will mean I'm on the road a lot anyway, but I reckon I'll be at home one or two days a week going forward, we'll see, could be wrong.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:59 pm
Simon wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:52 am On another subject, what's everyone's company attitude to travel?

No change for us. Not seen any timescales announced, but the policy is unchanged: still need board level approval to travel, and customer meetings are a flat no. We've had customers demand that people go to meetings and they've been told no, in no uncertain terms.
We're ok for client meetings or site visits so long as it can be done safely. Anything we aren't happy about then leave. Foreign travel is a no no.

I've stayed in plenty of hotels and had quite a few meetings, all done safely with no problems. It been ace to get away from the house and family on occasion too 😂

The company attitude has been that there is no pressure to do anything that you're not comfortable with. It's down to the individual.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Did anyone watch Marr this morning? These people are unreal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56475262
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Mark_bt52 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:51 pm
We did Orlando Disney and Universal a few years ago and then did Disney Paris the following year. Was just as hot when we went as it was in Orlando and we all agreed that for a single park Disney Paris was better than all of the US ones.
Thank Christ for that! I've been spouting this for years only to be greeted with blank stares. I was completely underwhelmed with the Orlando Disney after visiting Paris. I also thought the Paris castle was much better, as were the fireworks. I also enjoyed it in December when it was crisp and cold and they blew fake snow through the streets. The kids loved it.

As for holdays overseas, we've pushed back our trip to Duinrell in the Netherlands from March 2020 to March this year, and now March 2022. I'm hopefull everyone will be up to speed by then!

Our trip to Iceland in April needs to be pushed for a 4th time too. I'm aiming for September this year, but that depends if we've had both jabs by then to avoid the need to quarantine. I've a horrible feeling that will be next year too.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Disney Paris was a really slick operation, impressively painless way to keep the kids happy. I totally kicked their arses at Buzz Light-year light-gun ride too. :oops:

Back to 'Rona news. Apparently my new contract makes me a project manager, subject matter expert and dogsbody extraordinaire all in one compactish package. Hence the client is very very keen to get me over for some hands on engineering. Thankfully current restrictions make it easy to decline a invitation for an extended stay in Shanghai... :?

Their offer of a locally made vaccination on arrival was politely declined.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Do they still do anal covid tests in China? Must be an interesting experience that :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?