Coronavirus

Nefarious

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nefarious »

Broccers wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:28 am
Nefarious wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:13 am In related news, Mrs. Nef's mum (79) managed to fall off a pavement yesterday and break her hip. Not the greatest time for an extended stay in hospital :o
Not Ideal. Hope she gets home soon.
Impressively, they're getting her in for full replacement surgery today, and if all goes well, kick her out Tuesday
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Hips are amazingly quick. The pain relief from a worn out hip once it’s replaced is amazing too. I know a few people who have had their hips replaced due to that and the transformation within a fortnight is staggering.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Nefarious wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:10 am
Nefarious wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:13 am In related news, Mrs. Nef's mum (79) managed to fall off a pavement yesterday and break her hip. Not the greatest time for an extended stay in hospital :o
Impressively, they're getting her in for full replacement surgery today, and if all goes well, kick her out Tuesday
That is impressive, here's to a speedy recovery to your mother in law.
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ascender wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:24 am
Nefarious wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:10 am

That is impressive, here's to a speedy recovery to your mother in law.
+1
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Have people seen this thread on Twitter which makes a lot of sense and also makes for sober reading, comparing the UK to Ireland in how they approached the impending pandemic.

Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ascender wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:13 am Have people seen this thread on Twitter which makes a lot of sense and also makes for sober reading, comparing the UK to Ireland in how they approached the impending pandemic.

:shock:
---
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

That's an incredibly simplistic view. How does the population density compare between the UK and Ireland? That's how the things spreads.

Edit - 430 people per square km vs 72. Thought so. You can't catch a virus if there's a field between you and the next person. :lol:
Last edited by duncs500 on Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I refuse to believe there’s more than one variable here!!! This is the internet!!!!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:27 am I refuse to believe there’s more than one variable here!!! This is the internet!!!!
:D See my edit? Nearly 6 times more densely populated.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yep, there’s a field in between each and every person in Ireland.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:31 am Yep, there’s a field in between each and every person in Ireland.
I mean, you know that was a joke right?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:33 am
Rich B wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:31 am Yep, there’s a field in between each and every person in Ireland.
I mean, you know that was a joke right?
NO MORE THAN ONE VARIABLE DAMMIT!!!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Dude should follow his own advice before he kills someone

An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:30 am
Rich B wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:27 am I refuse to believe there’s more than one variable here!!! This is the internet!!!!
But surely that means that the UK (or least the most densely populated parts) should have been locked down sooner and with more restrictions?
---
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:38 am
But surely that means that the UK (or least the most densely populated parts) should have been locked down sooner and with more restrictions?
I don't know Alex. I've given up trying to decide what's right and wrong. I don't see how it's possible to avoid most people getting it now or later as it laps the planet, so it seems to be about managing the hospital intake. So far the NHS has not run out of beds AFAIK.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

They certainly should have, and it's something I said somewhere back near the start.

As soon as it started to become clear that London was the uks epicentre and it was going to spread quickly there was a noticeable increase in traffic heading away from London before any official restrictions and nearly a week before official countrywide lockdown.

Jumping on it quickly in the more densely populated areas would have slowed the spread everywhere else.

I was amazed they didn't introduce a London lockdown earlier, just waited for it to spread nicely then did the whole country in the same move.
Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:53 am

They certainly should have, and it's something I said somewhere back near the start.

As soon as it started to become clear that London was the uks epicentre and it was going to spread quickly there was a noticeable increase in traffic heading away from London before any official restrictions and nearly a week before official countrywide lockdown.

Jumping on it quickly in the more densely populated areas would have slowed the spread everywhere else.

I was amazed they didn't introduce a London lockdown earlier, just waited for it to spread nicely then did the whole country in the same move.
Could that possibly have been better though? Maybe it spread from London but if it was more Centerd then maybe the hospitals would have been over-loaded.

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:35 am Dude should follow his own advice before he kills someone

If he follows his own advice (which seems to be to sniff hydrogen peroxide) then he will kill someone, but it’ll be himself.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The people who moved out of London already had it, if they'd brought in social distancing and movement restrictions sooner they wouldn't have been able to spread it about in the first place.

Sure, in the grand scheme of things gradually spreading it around the country is a good thing for allowing everyone to get it although it's a rather dangerous game.

The places which have coped best so far are the places which recognised the risk sooner ( due to experience with previous Similar diseases )and took quick, decisive action as well as mask wearing and not having a culture of greeting strangers with handshakes, hugs, kisses etc.
Cheers, Harry
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

So the weekend of the Stereophonics gig referenced in that Twitter thread was the weekend my mate’s wife went to London with her daughter to watch a West End show. A few days later and she was showing symptoms but not enough to require medical treatment or testing and they went into self-isolation. A week later he started with symptoms and a week after that he was in ICU with confirmed COVAIDS. So there’s just one anecdotal case that could’ve been saved by an earlier shutdown. Multiply that across the country...
Middle-aged Dirtbag