Courtesy Car Lottery

KevH18

Re: Courtesy Car Lottery

Post by KevH18 »

A Hyundai i20 1.0.

It isn't as slow as I thought it might be. It's a 'mild' hybrid apparently but not sure I can feel it doing much. I lifted the boot floor up and there is the hybrid battery! Haven't really bothered trying to disguise it unless the dealer needed what was there for another car.

My wife said it looked odd. She has a point.

I hope I don't have it for very long.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Has anyone ever knowingly had their car taken home by a member of staff at a garage before? You can check the live location of your car on the Hyundai App and I can see where it's parked now, after being driven 3 miles and then 2 miles a few minutes later after 6pm.

They called at around 4pm to say they will need to keep it tomorrow after getting further instructions from Hyundai around what they need to be looking for. Absolutely fine with that, but would have expected it to stay locked up at the dealer, not driven and packed outside someone's house.

I doubt they're aware that I can track the location and individual journeys but I'll be interested to find out if they turned off the dash cam. They were also speeding knowing the roads they've driven on.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Go to their house and vandalise your car. That’ll show them :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Should be mild enough, go round and drive some frozen sausage into their lawn. Richmonds are good apparently.
mik

Post by mik »

KevH18 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:41 pm Has anyone ever knowingly had their car taken home by a member of staff at a garage before? You can check the live location of your car on the Hyundai App and I can see where it's parked now, after being driven 3 miles and then 2 miles a few minutes later after 6pm.
No. And I wouldn't expect them to be using it as transportation either. I'd be asking them....
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Not taken anywhere but I had my car used as Dutch Coffee Shop when left at Heathrow Airport Arrive and Drive.

It stunk of weed, cigarette papers and little zip lock baggies on the floor, seats moved, some rubbish London Grime station on the radio. etc...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Depends what the fault it, if something was only happening very intermittently, or only on cold mornings etcs then we used to take cars home when I worked in a garage.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I've had my Puma utterly thrashed by a mechanic before, but only because I asked him to bed the new bigger brakes in for me. He tested it from 100, er, kilometres an hour and was pleased with the lack of fade after several stops and declared it 'good enough for road use'...

I've also told him to use that car as a runaround for when I couldn't get back out to him for a few days, which he happily did and banged a tenner in the tank for me :D
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

KevH18 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:41 pm Has anyone ever knowingly had their car taken home by a member of staff at a garage before? You can check the live location of your car on the Hyundai App and I can see where it's parked now, after being driven 3 miles and then 2 miles a few minutes later after 6pm.

They called at around 4pm to say they will need to keep it tomorrow after getting further instructions from Hyundai around what they need to be looking for. Absolutely fine with that, but would have expected it to stay locked up at the dealer, not driven and packed outside someone's house.

I doubt they're aware that I can track the location and individual journeys but I'll be interested to find out if they turned off the dash cam. They were also speeding knowing the roads they've driven on.
When I ran dealerships we would often do it, particularly in Central London where a test drive might not pick up an issue that occurs above 30mph. You would obviously get the customer’s permission first though!
I left the modern motor trade in 2010, which was before tracking and dash cams became the norm.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Thanks everyone. The fault itself is just a warning - 'check electrical system', and doesn't affect how the car drives at all.

I appreciate them charging it for me while it's sitting there as we speak, but when it had gone from over 70 miles range down to 19, I'd expect them too as well.

I will be having words when I collect it!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

KevH18 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:41 pm Thanks everyone. The fault itself is just a warning - 'check electrical system', and doesn't affect how the car drives at all.

I appreciate them charging it for me while it's sitting there as we speak, but when it had gone from over 70 miles range down to 19, I'd expect them too as well.

If that means the same as it does on the Zoe, it is the 12v battery that's low. They should know that.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:23 pm
KevH18 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:41 pm Thanks everyone. The fault itself is just a warning - 'check electrical system', and doesn't affect how the car drives at all.

If that means the same as it does on the Zoe, it is the 12v battery that's low. They should know that.
I think it's more of an EML for EVs, to say something is wrong but it won't tell you what. A lot less to go wrong and you'd think easier to diagnose too...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

KevH18 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:02 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:23 pm

I think it's more of an EML for EVs, to say something is wrong but it won't tell you what. A lot less to go wrong and you'd think easier to diagnose too...
Could be. When the Zoe complained that was the one that immediately came up on Google and driving it around to let it charge solved it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Mrs mik has a Tesla Model 3 for a few days. Long Range version, so 4WD and y'know - long range.

I only took it out for a 20minute spin last night, but roads were quiet.

- Good power. Didn't feel like 4.2s to 60 fast (as claimed), but that is probably because I didn't have it in the appropriate mode.*
- Long range. I guess. By the name of the model. But I don't know.*
- Matrix LED lights very good. I realised they weren't intelligent "make black holes for approaching traffic" like the E-Tron when approaching traffic blinded me to show their displeasure, but I can cope with manual switching and the coverage was excellent on both main and dip.
- One pedal driving (where full regen is applied when you lift your foot off of the accelerator) works well - at least up to a point - see dislikes.
- Good grip, and flat cornering. Ride a little busy as a result, but not offensively.

Dislikes
- Stoopid lack of instruments or buttons. Massive touch-screen does everything. * Obviously familiarity would bring some clarity here, but I have no idea what driving mode I was in, or what range I had available. I was roasting as mrs mik had left the seat heater on full, and it was frankly dangerous to look away from the direction of travel at the huge screen for long enough to find the tiny icon that took you to the appropriate seat heater control page. Just hateful.
- Steering two turns lock to lock. Again familiarity would help, but it requires very delicate inputs at speed to avoid over-steering (not oversteering), and it's pretty devoid of feel.
- One pedal driving - whilst trying to push-on on fast country roads. Again familiarity would help, but it was tricky to transition from brake to "lift off" and turn in without inadvertently injecting some regen. Maybe it needs LFB to get around that? And it's very difficult to coast... I like to coast every now and again.
- Power delivery felt inconsistent. Sometimes 75% accelerator seemed to bring in 95% power, other times not. Was weird.
Holley

Post by Holley »

mik wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:00 am Mrs mik has a Tesla Model 3 for a few days. Long Range version, so 4WD and y'know - long range.

I only took it out for a 20minute spin last night, but roads were quiet.

- Good power. Didn't feel like 4.2s to 60 fast (as claimed), but that is probably because I didn't have it in the appropriate mode.*
- Long range. I guess. By the name of the model. But I don't know.*
- Matrix LED lights very good. I realised they weren't intelligent "make black holes for approaching traffic" like the E-Tron when approaching traffic blinded me to show their displeasure, but I can cope with manual switching and the coverage was excellent on both main and dip.
- One pedal driving (where full regen is applied when you lift your foot off of the accelerator) works well - at least up to a point - see dislikes.
- Good grip, and flat cornering. Ride a little busy as a result, but not offensively.

Dislikes
- Stoopid lack of instruments or buttons. Massive touch-screen does everything. * Obviously familiarity would bring some clarity here, but I have no idea what driving mode I was in, or what range I had available. I was roasting as mrs mik had left the seat heater on full, and it was frankly dangerous to look away from the direction of travel at the huge screen for long enough to find the tiny icon that took you to the appropriate seat heater control page. Just hateful.
- Steering two turns lock to lock. Again familiarity would help, but it requires very delicate inputs at speed to avoid over-steering (not oversteering), and it's pretty devoid of feel.
- One pedal driving - whilst trying to push-on on fast country roads. Again familiarity would help, but it was tricky to transition from brake to "lift off" and turn in without inadvertently injecting some regen. Maybe it needs LFB to get around that? And it's very difficult to coast... I like to coast every now and again.
- Power delivery felt inconsistent. Sometimes 75% accelerator seemed to bring in 95% power, other times not. Was weird.
I had my M240 for about a month after the LR turned up and it was interesting do back to back driving. Initially I thought the M240 was quicker based on how it felt, but doing a timed 0-100 (private underground test track etc) showed the LR to be under 10 seconds. I do think it's the noise that adds to the sensation of speed. A bit like watching a speedo on youtube with the sound off, all of a sudden sub 10sec to 100mph doesn't seem quick.

There is a 'chill mode' on the LR that does make it slower which could also be another reason.

Agree with the lack of buttons. Apparently there is a way to set it up so the two steering wheel buttons can be configured for preferred functions. I've never bothered and just moan every time I have to use the screen for the wipers!

I quite like aggressive regen whilst peddling on now, quite fun to pull in the nose of the car without using the brakes. I would however like the ability to configure this to my own liking though.

Don't know about the inconsistent power delivery as not noticed it on mine. Will have play around with the throttle later.
mik

Post by mik »

Holley wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:52 am
Don't know about the inconsistent power delivery as not noticed it on mine. Will have play around with the throttle later.
Yeah that was very much feel as opposed to seeing the power meter confirm any inconsistency. Could just be me.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Possibly going to Sweden this summer, to do something a bit different to the usual beach holiday.

Car hire rates look fairly reasonable - the question is, should I try hiring an EV? Never driven an EV before, so is it a good chance to test, or a daft idea as trying one for the first time, on foreign roads, is asking for trouble?
Holley

Post by Holley »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:05 pm Possibly going to Sweden this summer, to do something a bit different to the usual beach holiday.

Car hire rates look fairly reasonable - the question is, should I try hiring an EV? Never driven an EV before, so is it a good chance to test, or a daft idea as trying one for the first time, on foreign roads, is asking for trouble?
I don't know if Sweden's charging infrastructure is similar to the UK, or if you will even need to use it. If yes it depends whether yelling at an 'app' or a 'charger' will add to the holiday!

Joking aside, sticking to Tesla Superchargers would be pretty easy if that's doable.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:05 pm Possibly going to Sweden this summer, to do something a bit different to the usual beach holiday.

Could you guarantee you get a Tesla, or might you get any random EV they have available?

I can't say I'd be too keen to use an EV I hadn't tried before on holiday. It's not like at home where you can start every day with 100% charge; if the hotel's charger is occupied you're stuffed, for instance.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ID3 seems to be one of the main ones that's specifically offered. And we'd only be using it whilst we're at a rental house, which has an EV charger.

I'd obviously have to enquire first as to whether any extra would be due to cover any charging, but otherwise I was half tempted to give it a crack. It's more the driving aspect I'm unsure of - having never driven one I've no idea just how different it would be to drive. Hence on unfamiliar roads could be an issue?