Toyota GR Yaris

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:28 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:19 pm
Simon wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:44 pm Apparently there are 2 freeloaders, sorry, influencers with the GR4 (Shmee and JWW) and one of them has denied it's them, so...

If it wasn't JWW I'm sure he'd be denying it in the same way.
Mat Watson has one too, and I’m sure there are others with orders in.
I don't consider Watson an influencer though. He's an employee of CarWow who does car reviews and drag races that are shown on YouTube. I know he has his own 'Mat Watson on Cars' channel, but that has a fraction of the viewers and subs that the CarWow channel does. His no more an 'influencer' than anyone else.
So is Chris Harris an influencer to you or not?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:44 pm Apparently there are 2 freeloaders, sorry, influencers with the GR4 (Shmee and JWW) and one of them has denied it's them, so...

If it wasn't JWW I'm sure he'd be denying it in the same way.
I don't consider Watson an influencer though. He's an employee of CarWow who does car reviews and drag races that are shown on YouTube. I know he has his own 'Mat Watson on Cars' channel, but that has a fraction of the viewers and subs that the CarWow channel does. His no more an 'influencer' than anyone else.
Mat Watson has a personal Instagram car page with 434,000 followers.

Just because he has a day job doesn’t mean he can’t be an influencer; the above is the very definition of an influencer. Although his car is apparently a long-termer from Toyota so I can’t see him modifying it.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rich B wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:39 pm

So is Chris Harris an influencer to you or not?
Nope, he's a presenter.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:36 pm

Mat Watson has a personal Instagram car page with 434,000 followers.

Just because he has a day job doesn’t mean he can’t be an influencer; the above is the very definition of an influencer. Although his car is apparently a long-termer from Toyota so I can’t see him modifying it.
In my world view influencers are all about trying to sell you products and a lifestyle to earn advertising revenue on their vids/pics etc. Whether that's the dictionary definition I don't really know, nor care. He just doesn't fit the mould of an 'influencer' to me.

When you hear the name 'Mat Watson', do you think of his Instagram posts or do you think of his drag races with Yannii (sp?) on the CarWow YouTube channel?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The drag races with other influencers, of course 😄
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:51 pm The drag races with other influencers, of course 😄
Yiaaannii isn't an influencer though. He owns a wrapping shop...
mik

Post by mik »

Lots of people seem shocked by this. How did they all think influencers made their money? :?

Some people might even suspect this type of thing went on in the past too - before social media.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

mik wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:33 am Lots of people seem shocked by this. How did they all think influencers made their money? :?

Some people might even suspect this type of thing went on in the past too - before social media.
I think the difference is some people sold stuff that they really enjoyed, so made videos, spread their enthusiasm.
People now are selling what they think will get them the most likes, so any review or opinion is so biased and false it can’t be believed.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Maybe it’s me but it doesn’t feel like anything has changed? Maybe the numbers are different, but companies like Lotus have loaned brand new Exiges to young posh YouTube influencers - possibly no cash exchanged (?) but you get a brand new Exige to tool about in for 6months, which has to have a value....
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I assumed it was mainly the other way round judging by the people I followed on YouTube - the company would end up liking the person and send them items to review.

Now every influenza is sending mass emails round asking for free stuff.

It’s all shit though at the end of the day, it sells products but as if anyone is going to be honest about said product when they’re being paid to endorse it...
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Decent influencers will put something in their content when it's been paid for. I'm pretty sure most social media companies put rules in about it after the whole Fyre Festival thing.

We find with the influencers we work with that most of them are interested in the stuff we sell and want to get involved.
An absolute unit
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

mik wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:33 am Lots of people seem shocked by this. How did they all think influencers made their money? :?

Indeed.

Tuthill built Chris himself a 911 a few years back, did he pay full price or did they knock a bit off given the coverage he gave them? However, Exitec probably didn't pay Chris £25k to fit their dampers to his GT3, which I think is where the uproar is :mrgreen:
Last edited by speedingfine on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:38 am

I think the difference is some people sold stuff that they really enjoyed, so made videos, spread their enthusiasm.
People now are selling what they think will get them the most likes, so any review or opinion is so biased and false it can’t be believed.

Dave!
Its pretty naive to think that "celebrity" endorsements (which is what a popular YouTube/insta/etc positive review is these days) have ever been unbiased. It's also not that hard to find reviewers you trust more than others - often by understanding their motivation.

The simple fact is, you tubers need views, so they have to make entertaining content. Factual or not, if you don't like their approach, don't watch their stuff.
mik

Post by mik »

I had to go back and look for this cos I couldn’t remember his name, but I don’t believe there is a genuine smile at any point in this vid.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:29 am I had to go back and look for this cos I couldn’t remember his name, but I don’t believe there is a genuine smile at any point in this vid.
yeah, I didn't make it past his stupid mouth in the opening shots.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Congrats Mike! 8-)
Who's JWW? (not an influencer I recognise)
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

I think he’s lost a number of followers over the last couple of days. (I don’t follow him)
scotta

Post by scotta »

Im going to start a youtube channel "Fat man car reviews" and see what i can blag.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

scotta wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:09 am Im going to start a youtube channel "Fat man car reviews" and see what i can blag.
Do it, if you put enough work into it and make entertaining content, the rewards will follow...

Like most careers.
mik

Post by mik »

Get in a salt n sauce review as an early effort - bet you’d get free chips from your local if you big them up..... 8-)