Post by nuttinnew »

Meh, faux controversy for clicks.
It seems they sold a few to retirees;
"Don't bother looking at the sports cars, we're going to get another Micra."
"Yes, Dear...".
Mito Man

Re: Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Mito Man »

That’s something I realised many years ago and then no longer bothered respecting car journalists opinions much. With social media and trying to get as many views as possible journos will just go against the grain so that they have a different opinion from the rest of the herd to click bait.
How about not having a sig at all?
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Yeah, Steve Sutcliffe will still think it’s overrated 😂
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’m pretty sure similar criticisms could be made of any of the old road version homologation rally cars.

They have to pass the same driveability and safety standards as the boring normal cars in the model line up and appeal to more than just the most hardcore driving enthusiasts.

I mean, if they were so perfect out of the box why is it nearly impossible to find an Impreza, evo, cosworth, gt4 etc etc which doesn’t have more boost, a noisier exhaust, modified suspension geometry etc etc etc?

The people defending it by saying the high seating position is because it’s a rally car are also morons, like the rally version doesn’t have completely different seats and mounts anyway. Maybe they should have sat the passenger seat right on the floor too because that’s what the rally version does 🤣
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The Yaris GR appeals far more to me now than it did originally. I couldn't get past the idea of "it's a Yaris" st first, but now I've seen them I get the aesthetics appeal. I'd still like to drive one - especially one with 300+bhp.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Seems that there will be a new improved GRY, no longer a limited run, but Toyota will make cars with “smells and noise” for as long as they can.

https://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/gr-yaris/2 ... rned-to-11

Interesting that they weren’t confident of sales when it was launched, and surprised that half the cars were purchased as a 2nd car or toy.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Just watched Car Wows video on it. It does look like they've made improvements based on feedback about the original version. Adding a torque convertor auto seems like a strange addition, but sounded like they've tried to address some of the concerns of that type of gearbox with this sort of car.

I'm not sure about the new interior though, looks very 90s to me. Might have some fans, but I think it looks dated already.

Just checking the Toyota website, it does say it's limited in the UK - "The UK allocation of the All-New GR Yaris will be limited. Further details on the allocation process will be available from March 2024."
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Is that the real interior?! Wtf - looks like a bus! 😂

Then adding an auto box. Wtf again?
scotta

Post by scotta »

MikeHunt wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:39 am Seems that there will be a new improved GRY, no longer a limited run, but Toyota will make cars with “smells and noise” for as long as they can.

https://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/gr-yaris/2 ... rned-to-11

Interesting that they weren’t confident of sales when it was launched, and surprised that half the cars were purchased as a 2nd car or toy.
I think its the same story with the GR-86 - didnt expect to sell them all so quickly.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I can see merit in the auto box - that article says it shifts as fast as a DCT and people love the ZF 8-sp in things like the current M3. And I bet it would increase sales; manuals aren't as mass-market as they used to be.

The dashboard is bonkers though; so fucking ugly.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Is it trying to be mass market though? It's supposed to be a little raw taste of old school.

Like when they added an auto to the Renault sport Clio (and rear doors tbf) and it lost all its appeal.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

That dash is batshit. Like a Fisher Price version of the Supra MK4 interior. Bravo 8-)
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Kinda assumed that the dash was preprod, with toyota focussing on the engineering bits. It has to be, right?

Sorting out the interior, mirrors, screen seat is a big step forward but some of that could be fixed with the aftermarket. Adding more power and only having the circuit pack model is also sensible, I wouldn't be surprised if they allow some of the convenience pack extras such as stereo and head up display to be specced.

Im quite pleased that I sold mine now, as I expected a new improved version at some point.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:09 am Is it trying to be mass market though? It's supposed to be a little raw taste of old school.

Like when they added an auto to the Renault sport Clio (and rear doors tbf) and it lost all its appeal.
It's Toyota, they're a mass-market brand. Like BMW.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:18 am
Rich B wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:09 am Is it trying to be mass market though? It's supposed to be a little raw taste of old school.

It's Toyota, they're a mass-market brand. Like BMW.
reading a few articles, is it exclusively auto, or is it an option?
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

It's an option Rich, the evo review mentions that the feel of the manual is improved.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

MikeHunt wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:31 am It's an option Rich, the evo review mentions that the feel of the manual is improved.
ah, fair enough - I assumed it was a move to auto only like Renault did on the Clio. Not such a problem then.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Just re-read my post and it does sound a bit like I wrote it was just an automatic now. I meant as an additional option to the manual.

The CarWow video covers quite a lot of detail, including a chat with the lead engineer.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Brannen wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:08 am Just re-read my post and it does sound a bit like I wrote it was just an automatic now. I meant as an additional option to the manual.
The picture you posted which is clearly of a manual removed any ambiguity :lol: