Tesla Cyberpuke

Alex88

Re: Tesla Cyberpuke

Post by Alex88 »

Everytime I see it, I keep thinking back to that Hammerhead Eagle ithrust thing that Top Gear made.

Elon keeps calling it the future, but to me it looks like what an 80's movie thought the future would look like :lol:

I really hope some of those comparison videos get replicated by independent outlets. The 911 video looks like BS, as does the towing one.

IIRC, Tesla has been caught staging videos before, so definitely not trusting them :lol:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Top Gear video is up...

"Beast Mode" *sigh*

Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Those swirly reflections from the 'not quite' flat side panels look really bad.
crap.jpg
crap.jpg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 7656 times
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

IN the first eight seconds - is this that micron accurate build quality?
Attachments
Screenshot_2023-12-01_13-29-45.png
Screenshot_2023-12-01_13-29-45.png (289.76 KiB) Viewed 7655 times
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Definitely looks like it'll be similarly successful to any other stainless steel road vehicle.
Simon

Post by Simon »

:lol:

To be fair, it has more chance of reaching 88mph in a mall car park than the other.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Those rear seats don't look human sized?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I still think the whole thing look awful, I’m amazed someone didn’t have a word and pull the plug earlier and let it sink like lots of his other daft ideas
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Wasn’t it supposed to have frickin laser beam windscreen clearing device too, not it’s got a single huge corner pivoting one which I’d imagine misses a massive chunk of the passengers side of the screen.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Can you imagine trying to get insurance on that - EV, massive windscreen with special finish, SS panels that form the structure of the car, etc...

One little crash and it'll be written off!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah, they’re making a big thing about it now calling it the biggest windscreen wiper in the world - so that’s a good thing now :lol: Can’t be good for aero either.

The constantly variable steer by wire system seems awful, and that massive truck has a faster rack than an F1 car ffs! Elon says it’s like a fighter jet, but that’s ok in a fighter jet because the fucking thing doesn’t need feedback through its wheels does it.

Also it has no spare tire - which is nuts on a commercial vehicle. No space for one either unless you want to fill all the bed with it.

When people ask about the Model 3 I say “it’s the perfect car for people who don’t care about cars”
I feel like the Cybertruck is the perfect truck for people who don’t care about trucks :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

A lot of actual truck owners have commented that the high sides of the bed are useless as it stops you loading from the side of the road easily.... Then again I'm sure that 'Murica being 'Murica lots of people will buy it who don't need a truck at all.
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Ah, I was just about to order one. Oh, wait…

“Because Cybertruck is classed as a light duty truck in the USA, it is exempt from many safety standards that are required of passenger cars. This includes providing a minimum level of pedestrian protection.

That's not the case in Europe, however.

According to a Stefan Teller, an automotive safety certification expert at SGS-TUV Saar GmbH, the vehicle will need 'strong modifications to the basic structure' before it can enter the European market.”
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I thought commercial vehicles had lower standards here too but not sure?
Even if it ends up coming here I don’t think they will bother with a RHD version.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:32 pm I thought commercial vehicles had lower standards here too but not sure?
Even if it ends up coming here I don’t think they will bother with a RHD version.
....it won't come here.

Bear in mind that, as above, even something like a Ford Ranger has actual, "more than in name only" crumple zones and a fairly soft mild steel bonnet for you to mash your face into, not 3mm cold rolled stainless sheet, which has all the give of a house brick.

And that's before we talk about the sharp edges that could seriously harm you even if it just sideswiped you etc. See my pics earlier.

There's no way the CT can make it this side of the Atlantic without serious design visual and material design changes, that would destroy it's....ahem, unique* look, utterly.

* the vision of the future, as brought to you by someone who grew up in the 80s and never matured past that.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

But is that a legal necessity for commercial vehicles? I can't find much about it from a quick look. I'm just thinking of some manufacturers which only sold commercial variants of their vehicles as the rules for those were much more relaxed (old Defender, Grenadier, current Jimny).
Maybe they can stick an airbag on the front of it :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:32 pm I thought commercial vehicles had lower standards here too but not sure?
with drive by wire steering and no drivers instruments it would be the easiest raw conversion ever! The wiper would probably be the biggest challenge!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Grey import and IVA?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

UN ECE R127, or Regulation No. 127 of the Economic Commission for Europe of the United Nations, is a regulation that specifies the requirements for the pedestrian protection performance of power-driven vehicles. This regulation aims to reduce the number of pedestrian fatalities and injuries by ensuring that vehicles are designed to minimize the impact on pedestrians in the event of a collision.

UN ECE R127 applies to all new passenger cars, vans, trucks, buses, and trailers that are manufactured after 1 July 2019. The regulation specifies the requirements for the front and rear structure of vehicles, as well as the design of the pedestrian protection system. It also specifies the test methods that must be used to verify that vehicles meet the requirements of the regulation.

Here are some of the key requirements of UN ECE R127:

The front structure of vehicles must be designed to absorb the energy of a collision with a pedestrian. The rear structure of vehicles must be designed to minimize the risk of head injuries to pedestrians in the event of a collision. The pedestrian protection system must include a deformable bumper and hood. The pedestrian protection system must be designed to prevent pedestrians from being trapped under the vehicle in the event of a collision. UN ECE R127 is an important regulation that helps to improve the safety of pedestrians on the road. By requiring vehicles to meet certain standards, the regulation helps to ensure that these vehicles are effective in reducing the impact on pedestrians in the event of a collision.

Here are some additional points about UN ECE R127:

Vehicles that meet the requirements of UN ECE R127 are marked with the UN ECE R127 approval number. Vehicles that do not meet the requirements of UN ECE R127 may not be sold or registered in some countries. The requirements of UN ECE R127 are being continuously updated to reflect the latest research on pedestrian safety.