Tesla Cyberpuke

Mito Man

Re: Tesla Cyberpuke

Post by Mito Man »

It’s screwed then, unless they can fit a myriad of airbags in the panel gaps - speaking of, remember a time when a lot of new cars had under bonnet airbags, which then slowly disappeared. Did they find ways to get around that? Feels like it was way before 2019.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:02 am It’s screwed then, unless they can fit a myriad of airbags in the panel gaps - speaking of, remember a time when a lot of new cars had under bonnet airbags, which then slowly disappeared. Did they find ways to get around that? Feels like it was way before 2019.
Explosive bonnet hinges and massive gaps between engine and bonnet- the air bags were a stop gap I think for cars that had the engine just under the bonnet
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Now, I’m no firearms expert, but when I heard in one of the vids that’s come out that it was only bulletproof against subsonic firearms.

That sounded rather lame and like a bit of truthbending by Elon.

Again, I know little to nothing about firearms, but a quick google suggests the average bullet travels around 1700mph. The ‘Tommy gun’ they used to demonstrate its bulletproofness has a muzzle velocity of around 640mph.

So yes, technically they didn’t fake the test and yes it is bulletproof. But so is my alfasud if I gently throw a 9mm round at it.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I think my car is bulletproof against a spud gun.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Rich B wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:57 pm
Mito Man wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:32 pm I thought commercial vehicles had lower standards here too but not sure?
Even if it ends up coming here I don’t think they will bother with a RHD version.
with drive by wire steering and no drivers instruments it would be the easiest raw conversion ever! The wiper would probably be the biggest challenge!
They can’t be arsed to change it over in the S or X, so imagine this would follow suit.
Cheers,

Ian
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:42 pm Yeah, they’re making a big thing about it now calling it the biggest windscreen wiper in the world - so that’s a good thing now :lol: Can’t be good for aero either.

and there it is, a Tesla being spoken of in the same breath as Gordon Murray.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, the bulletproofing is a bit of a misnomer. 45cal is notorious for being a big, heavy, slow round that'll stop someone just through the energy dump into the target, but it's famous for having basically sod all penetration power.

Which is why actual bulletproof vehicles use kevlar and plate inside the doors, etc - not stiffer bodywork - so they can stop things like rifle rounds. Even basic .556 rifle rounds - not armour piercing or anything fancy, and so available in every major supermarket in the US, along with weapons to fire them - will go through 3mm steel like a hot knife through butter.

If you want to shoot someone in a Cybertruck, a trip to Walmart with $500-600 or so in your pocket will do that, in short.

Cybertruck - a vision of the future brought to you by someone who never got past 1989, mentally.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Or just shoot through the windows :lol:
Did anyone else notice that in the original launch in which the window smashed that guy threw a steel ball at it. This time round he threw a baseball at it and didn’t even throw it properly, it would have bounced off a greenhouse window ffs.
Anyway, I’m off to drive my bulletproof Defender with its 0.2mm thick aluminium exoskeleton.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I _think_ there used to be an EU regulation that effectively disallowed steer by wire, as there must be a 'physical connection between the wheel and the rack'. I don't know if that's been repealed or amended, but if it still exists it would prohibit the sale of it here (luckily).
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That crumple zone video is shocking, would hate to see the mess if it hit a regular car at speed.
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:36 pm That crumple zone video is shocking, would hate to see the mess if it hit a regular car at speed.
I’d like to see it in an actual comparable video to the other trucks- they hit a low block and the Tesla hit a wall. I think if it hit like they do it would be a mess
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

jamcg wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:02 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:36 pm That crumple zone video is shocking, would hate to see the mess if it hit a regular car at speed.
I’d like to see it in an actual comparable video to the other trucks- they hit a low block and the Tesla hit a wall. I think if it hit like they do it would be a mess
Yes seen that video too, and I think all the other trucks in that were a smaller size category - Ford Rangers etc which are much lighter.

Seen this one though which compares it to a F150 lightning and it’s the same wall

They look about the same to my eyes.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I guess large impact absorbing crumple zones don't really work with large battery packs.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I think the TESLA driver might be flung forwards faster and further, it looks like the airbag knocks the driver's head back rather than absorbing it.
Beany

Post by Beany »

It looks like the Tesla driver is sliding under the airbag....?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The Ford looks a lot smoother to my eyes, the rate of deceleration slowly increasing.

The Tesla looks soft at first but a noticeable jolt at the point the front wheel hits the back of the arch. I don’t think it’s the wheels doing it but like a hard chassis point hits the wall at that moment.

It does look like the airbag stops the drivers head but their body continues forward under it.
Cheers, Harry
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Never mind the driver, look at the rear seat passenger :shock:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67591311

Related to all models I guess rather than just the monstrosity
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Will come as a surprise to no one. We were promised self driving robo taxis 3 years ago and currently have something which can accelerate and brake and hold its lane on motorways.

All the other companies have radar on their research and test vehicles, Tesla is relying on cameras alone. There are literally thousands of videos of them getting spooked by phantom objects, mistaking objects for something else, darting towards cyclists.

It’s one of those things they’ve promised time and time again but no one with any power or influence ever calls him out.
Cheers, Harry
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:57 pm The Ford looks a lot smoother to my eyes, the rate of deceleration slowly increasing.

The Tesla looks soft at first but a noticeable jolt at the point the front wheel hits the back of the arch. I don’t think it’s the wheels doing it but like a hard chassis point hits the wall at that moment.

It does look like the airbag stops the drivers head but their body continues forward under it.
I thought that too - also the front wheels are much closer to the front of the car than on the F150 which can only act as more of a hard stop.