I wouldn’t have that other one, either.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Explosive Newt

Re: Which Boxster to get?

Post by Explosive Newt »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:22 pm This is the one I meant:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... obcid=soc3

I wouldn’t have that other one, either.
Now why did you have to go and show me that? I am hoping GG can demolish this before I buy it!

Although who amongst us can pull off driving something with a numberplate ending XXX? :lol:

Last MOT...
Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
Headlamp lens slightly defective Both (4.1.1 (b) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Rear Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))
Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material All (1.1.11 (c))
Non obligatory mirror damaged ()
Now a whole new set of insurance / replacing stuff / other servicing worries come to mind. Sigh. Fundamentally I need to remind myself that being a PhD student and a junior doctor is not a well paying state of affairs...
Last edited by Explosive Newt on Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

This one’s a bit pricier but I’ve been looking at it daily for a week. I know C2s are purer, but this C4 just looks really good to me:

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

Well, it's silver & black, which is the correct colour for all cars 8-)

Newt - are you able to do spannering yourself ? If you are it makes a big difference to the affordability of running old cars like these.
GG.

Post by GG. »

The silver one is lovely. The black one also does look pretty decent to be fair.

Both have the 3.6l and turbo headlights so are much more appealing. At the end of the day you’re stretching the budget upwards but worth considering.

When I said the ones worth bothering with are towards £20k it was minty ones like silver carrera 4 that I had in mind.

The interiors will still feel dated compared to a 987 Boxster though and obviously they are not convertibles so it depends on the OPs priorities/preferences.

They’re also obviously a very different driving proposition and not unflappable like a mid engined car so you have to be able to put up with (/enjoy) that!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:35 pm Newt - are you able to do spannering yourself ? If you are it makes a big difference to the affordability of running old cars like these.
Jesus. No. I don't even own a spanner.
GG.

Post by GG. »

If it’s engine work you’re thinking of, neither the boxster or the 911 are what you’d call ‘easily accessible’ either.

Eta: Dave hurry up and buy that C4 before you end up extending your lease on the R!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:32 pm This one’s a bit pricier but I’ve been looking at it daily for a week. I know C2s are purer, but this C4 just looks really good to me:

Looks great and barely run in. Hopefully has a load of receipts for upkeep.

Do it!
Left over crest; tightens.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

https://www.northway.co.uk/used/porsche ... /18801959/ - bit of an enthusiast spec one... got PASM and the sport chrono. Presumably seen some track action.

https://www.kiteley-motors.co.uk/used-p ... ex-2038651 - 6 advisories relating to brakes at last MOT

3.4s are quite prevalent in this price bracket and finding non tiptronic 3.2s is actually quite hard! I also worry that they have been ragged by over-exuberant owners.
tim

Post by tim »

JonMad wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:36 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:32 pm This one’s a bit pricier but I’ve been looking at it daily for a week. I know C2s are purer, but this C4 just looks really good to me:

Looks great and barely run in. Hopefully has a load of receipts for upkeep.

Do it!
I don't think 996s have aged well, looks wise. What do 997s start at?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The Evonomics is going well, gone from £6k to £12k :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:09 am The Evonomics is going well, gone from £6k to £12k :lol:
(murmurs quietly) it’s an investment.... yes... an investment
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:14 am
Mito Man wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:09 am The Evonomics is going well, gone from £6k to £12k :lol:
I convinced myself the same way when I was looking for a crusty £5k Defender and ended up 5 times over budget. Still, it hasn’t depreciated.
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:05 am https://www.northway.co.uk/used/porsche ... /18801959/ - bit of an enthusiast spec one... got PASM and the sport chrono. Presumably seen some track action.
Northway are excellent. If they’re selling it, it’ll be a good one.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:08 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:05 am https://www.northway.co.uk/used/porsche ... /18801959/ - bit of an enthusiast spec one... got PASM and the sport chrono. Presumably seen some track action.
Apparently it’s the second time they are selling it having looked after her for the last 4 years. Going to swing by for a look Tues or Weds after the bank Hol.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

This thread has made me realise that 996s can still be had for sensible money. I've not really looked at them for a few years and assumed they would have been caught in the modern classics bubble too.
Cheers, Harry
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:54 am This thread has made me realise that 996s can still be had for sensible money. I've not really looked at them for a few years and assumed they would have been caught in the modern classics bubble too.
It seems like most of the ‘junior’ staff on evo run them as their own cars. I dunno, I read about suspension rebuilds in Fast Fleet and pale a little.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:27 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:14 am
I convinced myself the same way when I was looking for a crusty £5k Defender and ended up 5 times over budget. Still, it hasn’t depreciated.
yeah, but normal adults have to pay for their own things rather than getting their daddy to buy them.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:35 am
Apparently it’s the second time they are selling it having looked after her for the last 4 years. Going to swing by for a look Tues or Weds after the bank Hol.
That one looks like just the ticket. In the best colour of Atlas Grey as well. Obviously I am biased having owned two atlas grey Porsches...

Sport option with the adaptive dampers too. Ask them to put the badge back on the back before you buy it as they’re pretty expensive for a sticky back plastic emblem (£66) and hard to align as it’s not a flat surface.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

GG. wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:05 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:35 am

That one looks like just the ticket. In the best colour of Atlas Grey as well. Obviously I am biased having owned two atlas grey Porsches...

Sport option with the adaptive dampers too. Ask them to put the badge back on the back before you buy it as they’re pretty expensive for a sticky back plastic emblem (£66) and hard to align as it’s not a flat surface.
Yes, I spotted that too. Initially made me worry that someone had chiseled it off but apparently you can spec it to be debadged when you buy it (?).

Adaptive dampers + 19” seems the pro choice.

Am viewing Tuesday, will let you know how I get on.