HM ERII

Broccers

Re: HM ERII

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:03 am
Broccers wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:52 am
Beany wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:44 am In case anyone was wondering, the anti-royal/UK memescape has been, understandably, pretty fucking incredible.

I'll let you search it out yourself.

For now.
Attention seeking. Best ignored.
Enough about you. Be respectful.
Hahah.

I saw some horrific posts on twitter from people who actually lecture for a living. Oh and Jedward :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Just trolling you, there of course.

I do have genuine fear that the monarchy will be called seriously into question now. The Queen was lovely and liked by everyone; Charles has never had the same level of popular approval. Questioning the monarchy has always felt a bit of a fringe pursuit but it could become mainstream. Wonder if Nigel Farage is looking for a new cause? Watch out, King Charles.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I think if anyone actually looked up and read operation London Bridge (I looked it up and had a quick scan after it was mentioned earlier in this thread) it became quite obvious she'd gone quite sometime before the official announcements, the comments about the BBC and Sky offices where they would have been informed to prepare for the statements so they could get the correct people in place to inform the nation meant it could never be kept under wraps completely. The family flying in etc to complete protocol from the operation were giveaways.
A shame she's gone, I'm not a royalist or an out and out republican but I can respect her life dedicated to service of our country even as a person of mixed heritage (both me and my wife are part Welsh, with my dad being a pureblood Taff), I think she genuinely loved the UK and the Union. It's a shame we now have a moron for a king.
RIP and thank you for your service.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I was supposed to be at a charity ball tonight and it’s been cancelled due to the local council feeling that celebrations are not appropriate at this time. I’m guessing the ‘charity’ part went over their heads.

I didn’t know the Queen personally but I can’t imagine her endorsing this course of action!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I just wandered into twitter... :shock:

Jesus venom and bile is more widespread than my naive self thought... :(
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Out of interest, when will we start to see Charles on money, stamps etc?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Given the way the UK has behaved towards, well, all but about 30 countries in the world historically (and many of them now having the resources to access their real history, via the internet) people really shouldn't be surprised that there's some very real, very justified vitriol out there.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:13 am I just wandered into twitter... :shock:

Jesus venom and bile is more widespread than my naive self thought... :(
One of the reasons I deleted my account and ignore anything that comes out of that cesspit.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Chippy owner got pwned :D

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Beany wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:38 am Given the way the UK has behaved towards, well, all but about 30 countries in the world historically (and many of them now having the resources to access their real history, via the internet) people really shouldn't be surprised that there's some very real, very justified vitriol out there.
Will the same vitriol be aimed at the Spanish when their King dies?? - or the Dutch ?? or the Belgians ??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:45 am
Beany wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:38 am Given the way the UK has behaved towards, well, all but about 30 countries in the world historically (and many of them now having the resources to access their real history, via the internet) people really shouldn't be surprised that there's some very real, very justified vitriol out there.
Will the same vitriol be aimed at the Spanish when their King dies?? - or the Dutch ?? or the Belgians ??
I think if people dig down then everyone was pretty nasty to everyone else.

Twitter is a pretty weird place in general which is why I went on and then very quickly left.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:47 am I think if people dig down then everyone was pretty nasty to everyone else.
But Britain seems to be the only one who has to continue to apologise for it...

You could include the French but they don't have a monarchy...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:47 am Twitter is a pretty weird place in general which is why I went on and then very quickly left.

Dave!
To be fair, I find that you have to go looking for that sort of stuff really. So if you don't, you rarely get to see it.

It's the online equivalent of deliberately going to Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester and being shocked that there are spiced-up basket cases braying and looking for trouble with anyone.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:49 am
V8Granite wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:47 am I think if people dig down then everyone was pretty nasty to everyone else.

Italian, Turks, the list goes on. I won't apologise for something I had no hand in. Same as I don't expect any German to apologise for Hitler.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That's just not true Dinny, the British seem to have a huge problem acknowledging how much of the wealth and power of the country is built on being absolutely terrible to other countries.

If you think any of the countries you mention get off any lighter you should look up how people feel about what the Belgians did in the Congo.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:49 am

Probably because our Monarchy is front and centre of our cultural identity. And the Queen/King is our head of state.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

I completely understand the sentiment towards the monarchy and feel that at times like these, you have to separate the human from the institution.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:54 am That's just not true Dinny, the British seem to have a huge problem acknowledging how much of the wealth and power of the country is built on being absolutely terrible to other countries.

If you think any of the countries you mention get off any lighter you should look up how people feel about what the Belgians did in the Congo.
I don't necessarily agree with that Zed. Britain has a "Commonwealth" which is pretty much a poster for how the country benefited from it's Empire.

Put it another way, when was the last time you even heard the expression "Belgium Empire", let alone criticism of it...
Last edited by dinny_g on Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:54 am
V8Granite wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:47 am Twitter is a pretty weird place in general which is why I went on and then very quickly left.

Dave!
To be fair, I find that you have to go looking for that sort of stuff really. So if you don't, you rarely get to see it.

It's the online equivalent of deliberately going to Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester and being shocked that there are spiced-up basket cases braying and looking for trouble with anyone.
I went on some Land Rover bits and pieces and crypto stuff, turns out half the people wanted to argue with others and everyone MUST be slightly abusive. Land Rover folk should have been a warning I admit 😂

Dave!