Bye Bye Sunak..

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Bye Bye Sunak..

Post by Rich B »

Starmers speech was an easy winner today - pretty hard not to agree with words like "chaos" and "self serving" in reference to the Tories.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Not a moment too soon.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Is there a successful business CEO we could use while we hunt for a party that could actually be a success ?

Not Lord Sugar.

Lilly’s tea room near me is going well, we could use her ?

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:13 pm Starmers speech was an easy winner today - pretty hard not to agree with words like "chaos" and "self serving" in reference to the Tories.
I found it laughable that Sunak was banging on about 'not knowing what you'll get' with Labour.

Mate, if I'm up to my neck in a bucket of literal, sloppy shit, it's fairly unlikely that any other alternative realistic option is going to be worse.

Also, at the last election, Labours manifesto as I recall was clearly laid out and fully costed. Unlike, you know, someone elses.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Labour just made up some figure to pledge to climate change, realised the money for it doesn’t exist then had to backtrack 😂

They’re all shite. Hopefully Starmer will be less shite. I’m curious how he will be as a leader and the one actually making leading decisions. So far he just sits on fence for a bit to gauge public reaction on what the tories say, then finally responds. Won’t have that luxury anymore.

As long as it’s not a labour - green coalition I’ll be happy.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

I think the main thing is to elect a party that isn't, you know, using the deliberate harming of the poor and marginalised as a vote-winning tactic.

Maybe a party that would be uncomfortable with the concept of lining their pockets as the country burns, and 'letting the bodies pile up in the street', that sort of radical leftism.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’m probably not going to bother voting. I’m not going to pretend I’m happy with the way things have been going, but I’m not sure labour would have done much better or will do in the future.

It’s very easy to make great sound bites saying how bad everything is when you’re in opposition, but they never say how they’re going to achieve anything they say they want to do.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:18 pm Labour just made up some figure to pledge to climate change, realised the money for it doesn’t exist then had to backtrack 😂

They’re all shite. Hopefully Starmer will be less shite. I’m curious how he will be as a leader and the one actually making leading decisions. So far he just sits on fence for a bit to gauge public reaction on what the tories say, then finally responds. Won’t have that luxury anymore.

As long as it’s not a labour - green coalition I’ll be happy.
bizarre how in the same post you complain about Starmer making a huge decision (ahead of an election - despite what it may do for labours polling) whilst also complaining that he can't make decisions.

The truth of the matter is, the Tories would have just lied until after the election before revealing the truth (£350m buses and all).
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I for one am already looking forward to buying an f40 with all the extra money I as a normal boring working person will have after a couple of years of labour government 😎
Cheers, Harry
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:13 pm Starmers speech was an easy winner today - pretty hard not to agree with words like "chaos" and "self serving" in reference to the Tories.
Content was good, delivery was not. He’s no orator.

Sounded like a nervous Reverend giving a sermon
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:48 pm
Content was good, delivery was not. He’s no orator.

Sounded like a nervous Reverend giving a sermon
this is definitely the most important factor in deciding a government. Soggy self serving cunts are ok because they can do a speech.

(I don't actually mind Sunak tbh - but the Tory gov is a shower of shit who have proven time and time again to be out there to serve themselves ahead of anyone).
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:43 pm I for one am already looking forward to buying an f40 with all the extra money I as a normal boring working person will have after a couple of years of labour government 😎
I think the point is, whilst you won't get an F40 with either colour government, hopefully you won't be paying for one of the PMs mates to get an F40 paid for with fraudulently awarded government contracts either.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I can’t bring myself to not vote but I’m hoping for a hung parliament tbh.

More than ever, the choice is essentially just a change in tie colour.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:15 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:43 pm I for one am already looking forward to buying an f40 with all the extra money I as a normal boring working person will have after a couple of years of labour government 😎
I think the point is, whilst you won't get an F40 with either colour government, hopefully you won't be paying for one of the PMs mates to get an F40 paid for with fraudulently awarded government contracts either.
Maybe less corruption higher up in government but looking at local councils now, labour, Tory whatever, they’re all hopeless, giving out ridiculous contracts often to mates and going bankrupt all over.
How about not having a sig at all?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Beany wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:22 pm I think the main thing is to elect a party that isn't, you know, using the deliberate harming of the poor and marginalised as a vote-winning tactic.

Maybe a party that would be uncomfortable with the concept of lining their pockets as the country burns, and 'letting the bodies pile up in the street', that sort of radical leftism.
Tony Blair..

And let’s look at how well Labour run Wales and London are doing.. nope, they are all shockingly shit, self-serving hypocrites; no matter what colour they profess.
Cheers,

Ian
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:44 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:15 pm
Maybe less corruption higher up in government but looking at local councils now, labour, Tory whatever, they’re all hopeless, giving out ridiculous contracts often to mates and going bankrupt all over.
Indeed, Liverpool council anyone? I suspect you'll find that most of them are cut from the same cloth no matter the affiliation. It's very hard to get people to look at politics objectively because it's effectively treated like religion with families indoctrinating their children from a young age.

For what my opinion is worth (not much), Sunak has brought stability relative to the shambles of the Johnson years, and played his shitty hand ok. Unfortunately his party is in such disarray that he didn't have much chance.

Also, I personally feel like my life is going pretty well, so from my perspective whilst I do feel like it's time for a change... I don't really want my life to change that much! I'm alright with Starmer though, I feel like he's principled and boring, and they're too things that probably make a solid PM.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I'd probably describe myself as socially liberal and fiscally conservative, with a very small c. Unfettered capitalism is bad, essential services should be in public ownership (rail, buses, water, etc etc) but I'd like to see more ambition from Starmer. He should talk about bring Thames Water back into public ownership when it fails with the special administration process. He should talk about all the TOCs not having their contracts extended any further. You get the idea.

But I also believe that government, on the whole, should try to limit its interjections into peoples lives as much as possible and that taxes should be taken regretfully and spent wisely and I'm not sure I've seen that from any politician in the last 27 years.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:53 pmthis is definitely the most important factor in deciding a government. Soggy self serving cunts are ok because they can do a speech.
A PM needs to do both. When speaking in front of the EU, or Congress or the UN. When making statements in response to acts by Putin, or Hamas, or Israel, how he says what he says is as important as what he says.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:25 pm I’m probably not going to bother voting. I’m not going to pretend I’m happy with the way things have been going, but I’m not sure labour would have done much better or will do in the future.
Vote Lib Dem. If it’s enough to stop either of the others getting a majority it’ll be a good thing.

We all know what we’ll get from Labour. Years of everything still being shit but “it’s not our fault the conservatives did it”. Then the money hose gets turned on and everything is brilliant…. until the money runs out and a conservative government gets voted back in on the back of fiscal responsibility policies.

T’was ever thus.

It’s an absolutely nailed down conservative area where I live but I’m voting Lib Dem.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I wanna vote Binface again 😔

In reality I sincerely hope Labour get voted in and have enough of a run to reform some public services and get a few things done in food before they run out of money.