Your fleet running reports

mik

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:17 pm
mik wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:45 pm Why would you ever park a car in neutral. Stoopid. :evil:
meh, I always park my car in neutral.
But why?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The wheels on my M3 need sorting, the lacquer is cracking in places and they look really scruffy. The 220M wheels are standard and I do like them (plus they’re forged and strong), but I do have a concern that they’ll start to crack again.

So, I have a few choices:

1 - get them refurbed/exchanged in original diamond cut face/grey inside - they’ll look great but risk the lacquer going again. £450

2 - get them redone without diamond cutting the face - they’ll look a bit lame, and I don’t want black/shadow chrome/anything else chavvy. £350

3 - get some avant garde 359m (competition/CSL style) copies - Probably not as good quality as the 220s, but I do like the look (and my e46 had replica CSL wheels that I never had issues with). £700-800

Waddaya think?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

1 by light years.
GG.

Post by GG. »

1 or option 4: non diamond polished style 219s from the facelift model (which I personally prefer)
mik

Post by mik »

Diamond cut wheels generally look better diamond cut again (plus the sharp edges are hard to them powdercoat effectively), so 1. But. I’d go with an anthracite finish rather than grey before they are cut again.

And answer my question above:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

GG. wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:48 am 1 or option 4: non diamond polished style 219s from the facelift model (which I personally prefer)
nah, i really don’t like them (Plus i can’t have the wife’s 320d on bigger wheels than mine!) and even if I did, that would mean all new tyres too.

Option 1 is probably my preference too, but option 3 is nagging...
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:33 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:17 pm
mik wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:45 pm Why would you ever park a car in neutral. Stoopid. :evil:
meh, I always park my car in neutral.
But why?
tbh I’ve never really given it any thought - I don’t live on a hill or leave my car for weeks at a time, so what are the benefits/penalties for each?
mik

Post by mik »

Having gone to look online - the 359's do look much better to me.

Can you get £250 for your existing ones (without refurbing)? If yes - I'd now favour that option.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:57 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:17 pm meh, I always park my car in neutral.
But why?
tbh I’ve never really given it any thought - I don’t live on a hill or leave my car for weeks at a time, so what are the benefits/penalties for each?

Benefits of parking car in gear

- For RWD or 4x4 it provides a backup for the handbrake. Or don't bother with the handbrake (in your garage etc).
- For FWD it provides a backup for the handbrake and much more security overall as both front and rear wheels are "braked".
- You start the car with the clutch in so spin the engine only.

Negatives of parking car in gear
- NCG can start your car without engaging brains and put it into a fence/wall/duckpond/just over the wall at Chernobyl.

Benefits of parking a car in neutral
- None. Other than NCG are less likely to start your car and then put it into a fence/wall/duckpond/just over the wall at Chernobyl.

Negatives of parking car in neutral.
- Reliance on handbrake. Can cause probs if handbrake is on tighty-tight for love you longtime.
- You will start the car in neutral - almost certainly with the clutch "up", so the starter has to spin both the engine, and (pointlessly) also all the gears (in cold gear oil). Extra load on starter motor and battery for no gains.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:57 am Having gone to look online - the 359's do look much better to me.

Can you get £250 for your existing ones (without refurbing)? If yes - I'd now favour that option.
We're not kids any more. Keep it stock and looking new.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

There goes my suggestion of airbags and Gold BBS LMs then :lol:.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:04 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:57 am

But why?

- For RWD or 4x4 it provides a backup for the handbrake. Or don't bother with the handbrake (in your garage etc).
- For FWD it provides a backup for the handbrake and much more security overall as both front and rear wheels are "braked".

- NCG can start your car without engaging brains and put it into a fence/wall/duckpond/just over the wall at Chernobyl.

- None. Other than NCG are less likely to start your car and then put it into a fence/wall/duckpond/just over the wall at Chernobyl.

- Reliance on handbrake. Can cause probs if handbrake is on tighty-tight for love you longtime.
- You will start the car in neutral - almost certainly with the clutch "up", so the starter has to spin both the engine, and (pointlessly) also all the gears (in cold gear oil). Extra load on starter motor and battery for no gains.
my car will only start with the clutch pedal fully depressed (poor pedal).
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:10 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:57 am tbh I’ve never really given it any thought - I don’t live on a hill or leave my car for weeks at a time, so what are the benefits/penalties for each?

my car will only start with the clutch pedal fully depressed (poor pedal).
Then I have a good suggestion for you.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

BBS LM or TE37.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

- You will start the car in neutral...
I park my car in neutral and depress the clutch when I start it, after double-checing it's still in neutral.

I'd maybe leave it in gear on a really steep slope where I wasn't sure the handbrake would hold it, but otherwise it's neutral + handbrake. That's exactly what the handbrake is there for.

EDIT - plus the Highway Code rule 239 says that when parking on the roadside "you MUST apply the handbrake before leaving the vehicle".

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... 238-to-252
Last edited by Sundayjumper on Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:12 am BBS LM
Yes.

TE37
No.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:16 am
Yes.
That's three people said BBS LMs now Rich, the people have spoken.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:16 am
Yes.

TE37
No.

Sans blue spoke, obvs.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

German rice. No thanks.
mik

Post by mik »

Well done for finally finding a car that the TE37 doesn't work well on though. :geek: