Coronavirus

Beany

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Beany »

The point is that we aren't talking about having a dose of the sniffles for a couple of weeks - it'll full on fuck you up for a week.

The concept of deliberally exposing large parts of the population to it in it's wild form, to build up herd immunity, is laughably stupid.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Beany wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:38 pm The point is that we aren't talking about having a dose of the sniffles for a couple of weeks - it'll full on fuck you up for a week.

The concept of deliberally exposing large parts of the population to it in it's wild form, to build up herd immunity, is laughably stupid.
So are you saying that this time we should ignore the experts?

And what are you actually suggesting we should do differently?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:18 pm Vaccine could be months away.
Realistically, even taking the shortest route through testing, it’s over 12 months away from where we are now. It took 4 years to get the Ebola vaccination ready to use.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

The stupid thing is that development of a vaccine was stopped a couple of years after SARS so we have no vaccine currently that is aimed at Coronaviruses (to my knowledge). That was an epic misjudgment as it means we're now starting pretty much from scratch.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Beany wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:38 pm The point is that we aren't talking about having a dose of the sniffles for a couple of weeks - it'll full on fuck you up for a week.

Are the experts who say thousands of people will already have it without really ever realising because the symptoms will be so mild also wrong then?
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

So aside from commenting on the official policy, what has everyone done for themselves? Not trying to start an argument, just genuinely interested. As a plumber I’m out and about in peoples houses so I’m in contact with strangers day to day, and no option to work from home. I’m washing hands more often and much more thoroughly and using antibac gel stuff when I can’t due to having water off etc.

Big worry for me is my wife works for Tesco, so is in contact with hundreds of people a day, and some are right dirty bastards
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I skipped a conference on Wednesday that would have been a jolly off work. Still travelling by train but trying to avoid sitting too near anyone if possible, and trying to avoid touching hand rails, door buttons etc. Washing hands a bit more often and have some hand sanitiser spray stuff. Keeping finding myself scratching my nose and touching my face though. Trying to avoid touching other people’s laptops.
Left over crest; tightens.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I was WFH 70-80% before, now it's 100%. Any customer visits must have an exceptional reason. We're not stockpiling. But we've changed birthday arrangements for me on Sunday as we're near Gatwick and I didn't want my elderly parents out in a restaurant here, so we're doing a buffet lunch for them at home.

Checked in with other family today.

Also now fastidiously hand-washing. Of course I did before but now it's a lot more.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

My job is looking really ropey so I’m doing my paperwork for a site in Bangladesh remotely. Keeping their warranty claims under control etc.

Redundancies are very very likely so am trying to prepare for the worst.

It all sucks but I’ve a very old relative who if they get it will be gone, plus my Dad has asthma, a recent heart heart condition and is 65 so a triple whammy of danger.

Lots of Lego in the house and my train set expansion to do so will take each day as it comes.

If it all kicks off, we will go camping in the north of Scotland for a few weeks and let it all blow over :lol:

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:13 pm My job is looking really ropey so I’m doing my paperwork for a site in Bangladesh remotely. Keeping their warranty claims under control etc.

It all sucks but I’ve a very old relative who if they get it will be gone, plus my Dad has asthma, a recent heart heart condition and is 65 so a triple whammy of danger.

Lots of Lego in the house and my train set expansion to do so will take each day as it comes.

If it all kicks off, we will go camping in the north of Scotland for a few weeks and let it all blow over :lol:

Dave!
But didn't you hear, some experts have said that people might not even notice the symptoms!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yep, some people, ie lots of normal healthy people. You were the one suggesting everyone who gets it will be bedbpund for a week which doesn't seem to be the case for most people.

Of course it's sensible to slow down the spread of it and avoid exposing those who may suffer badly from it to uneccesary risk, I don't think anyone anywhere has said otherwise.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

We are doing enforced WFH next week, possibly longer. Means I can cash in my train season ticket a couple of weeks early anyway.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

On a personal level, not a lot has changed. I haven't used public transport for months anyway, am an antisocial bugger, work in a production environment where I spend the majority of my time at least ten meters from another person and have no intention of going near a city centre or major sporting event.

I like to think I'm fairly clean, but have been paying more attention to how often I'm washing hands in situations I'd usually otherwise think as low risk.

I'll be limiting face to face contact with elderly relatives who would probably be hit hard by it.

Living in a more rural area we tend to have basic food supplies in stock anyway, but have been gradually adding to it over the last few weeks in case more strict movement restrictions come into force or we suddenly need to isolate ourselves.

I think I'm reasonably healthy, haven't had a day of sick in about 12 years, but will have no issue self isolating if I genuinely think anything nasty is coming.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Past few years of my life has been this shit, I’m all too familiar with quarantine, isolation, face masks and being fastidiously clean. Probably did quite well to only catch a cold in the past 12 months.
Was told last week that I need to basically have all my childhood vaccines redone but I don’t fancy going to the GP at this time of year. Will see if they allow me to do them in the summer once they call up.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Pour quoi?
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

NZ just enforced a 100% quarantine on anyone arriving from overseas, bar Pacific Islands, which I suspect, will follow shortly. No cruise ships til end of June.

We have six cases currently on a 4.5million population.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Beany wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:19 pm
V8Granite wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:13 pm My job is looking really ropey so I’m doing my paperwork for a site in Bangladesh remotely. Keeping their warranty claims under control etc.

Dave!
But didn't you hear, some experts have said that people might not even notice the symptoms!
You sound very gammon like at the minute.

Dave!
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

I unfortunately had to visit A&E yesterday after a bit of an accident with some razor wire.

I was pleasantly surprised to find it not looking like a scene from 28 Days Later. In fact, other than a bit of extra hand sanitiser about the place you'd struggle to notice that anything was out of the ordinary. No coughing people, no masks, no extra staff precautions, no spacing of waiting room chairs.

What was a bit more concerning was the existing level of stretch. Chatting to the nurse who stitched me up, staff levels are already struggling to cope with Friday lunchtime levels of traffic. The whole minor injuries department now only has 4 nurses, about the same number of non-medical support staff and no doctors. Yesterday, one nurse was off sick, and a second had been poached by another department (which happens all the time, apparently). So 2 nurses and some porters to treat a steady waiting room level of around 40 patients. At about 2pm, as I was leaving, she said that the majority of those already in the waiting room would have to be sent across town to the other A&E unit because she was going off shift at 4.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’m not sure what it’s like right now but in Peterborough the new hospital originally had huge amounts of excess space and not enough doctors and nurses to fill it. That was 4.5 years ago so compared to the old hospital around here we should at least be in a better position.

I wish all papers and media would shut up about it all. Then have a twice daily government announcement so we can at least all make our rational, irrational, tinfoil hat wearing decisions based on one set of information.

Dave!