Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: Surrey* Rolling Road - Sat 28th April - from about 10am

Post by JonMad »

Nice shots!
Left over crest; tightens.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Bloody pissed it down all the way home. The half hood did a pretty good job but I did seem to get a very fine spray on the back of my neck.:) Spray was a nightmare, especially going past lorries.

Good to see some old faces and meet some new ones. I must say I was smitten with that Aston. Stunning.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Oh yeah, nice shots GG. Took me a while to finish my reply so I hadn't seen them.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:12 pmThe redline looks to be 7,250 from that picture.
OK, you do have a point there. Smarty pants. But that's not my car, it's a pic off the internet that I posted from my phone and didn't notice it was slightly different to mine. Here's an actual picture from my car:

JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Does yours do the "Scrotum. Penis. Testicles" greeting thing, has it made you self-harm and is there a way to disengage it?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Yes, a little bit, AFAIK no.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Asked and answered.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:28 pmI must say I was smitten with that Aston. Stunning.
Shucks. Thanks. You'll have to take it for a spin next time.

I'm obviously massively biased, but I do feel like they're a bit of a bargain at the moment compared to the other obvious candidates whose prices have rocketed in recent years. There's always a few <£30k and right now if you're really brave there's a high miler on AutoTrader for £24k. Build quality is good. These were developed under Ford's ownership and had a decent budget spent on them. They somehow have a "oooh, they're very unreliable" reputation which I think is just a case of all British cars being tarred with the same brush. It's nothing like a TVR in that respect. Although it does have all the good TVR attributes and feels very much like a grown-up and better built TVR. Quite a lot of the grubby parts came from the Ford / Jag parts bin and can be picked up quite cheaply. It needed a new thermostat last year, I picked up the Jag part for £30 and fitted it myself. I've been on the Pistonheads Aston forum for a while now and reliability horror stories are pretty few & far between. The only semi-regular thing is that some cars seem to get through clutches quite quickly and it's (IIRC) about £2k fitted for a new one. Which in the context of a car that was ~£100k new is still not too bad.

They also, somehow, have a knack of being flashy yet classy and a way of charming people. Nobody ever notices my Porsche. It's just a Porsche. They're everywhere. But in the Aston people visibly smile, stare, wave, give you a thumbs up. I've never had a Ferrari/Lamborghini but from what I've heard people wave at those also - it's just a different kind of wave.

They've stopped making this shape of Vantage now. If prices are going to climb it will be the earliest models first as they are the purest design. A design that they absolutely nailed right from the start. Fingers crossed !
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

And I keep going back to look at the pic of the rev counter. I frickin' love that instrument panel.
mik

Post by mik »

What did the Cat deliver Duncs?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I couldn't get a slot at a time I could get there. Probably could have got on if I was willing to wait around, but I couldn't be arsed... I was getting hungry.:)
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Good numbers for the Vantage. I am a fan of these cars.

This one caught my eyes; love the colour.

https://wallisandson.co.uk/stock/CarSal ... iew&id=206

I would love to run one for a year but didn’t Nutty have a hard time selling his and ended up losing money?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

That's an unusual colour. Nice. Someone on Pistonheads was recently lamenting the lack of green Astons what with it being the classic British colour.

Did Nutty come over to the new forum ? IIRC his was one of the less common colours; black or grey is the resale-friendly choice. Even silver like mine is not especially common.
GG.

Post by GG. »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:47 am Does yours do the "Scrotum. Penis. Testicles" greeting thing, has it made you self-harm and is there a way to disengage it?
:lol:

At least (IIRC) the 4.3s have a proper (Volvo ;) ) key and not the stupid emotional control unit that you have to keep in a leather pouch and can't be attached to a keyring. That would properly piss me off.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:50 am That's an unusual colour. Nice. Someone on Pistonheads was recently lamenting the lack of green Astons what with it being the classic British colour.

Did Nutty come over to the new forum ? IIRC his was one of the less common colours; black or grey is the resale-friendly choice. Even silver like mine is not especially common.
Haven't seen him so far and his username is not registered looking at the members list.

From recollection, his expectations with regard to how much he was likely to lose (i.e. nothing) after a couple of years and a few thousand more miles was wholly unrealistic.

Unless you've actually seen resale values start to creep upwards across the board then there's always the chance a car hasn't reached the bottom of its depreciation curve and even on something 10 years old you'll lose a few percent when you come to sell on.
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

GG. wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:01 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:47 am Does yours do the "Scrotum. Penis. Testicles" greeting thing, has it made you self-harm and is there a way to disengage it?
:lol:

At least (IIRC) the 4.3s have a proper (Volvo ;) ) key and not the stupid emotional control unit that you have to keep in a leather pouch and can't be attached to a keyring. That would properly piss me off.
Whoever came up with the Emotion Control Unit and the "Power Beauty Soul" start up really ought to be banned from marketing for life.
You don't see BMWs say "Aggression, No Indicating, Self-Importance" on their dash when they start up FFS...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

But if an Italian marque said ‘energia, bellezza, anima’ on inserting the key the journalists would wet their panties...
How about not having a sig at all?
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

I love green Astons. 8-) Green or some sort of dark metallic red would be my choice.

IIRC Nutty’s one was tungsten silver so a nice colour but common (which might work against reselling).
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Was it ? I had a dark red in mind, but I could be wrong. I can't find anything about it now the old forum's gone.
Simon

Post by Simon »

14701610111640401b.jpg
14701610111640401b.jpg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
The artist formerly known as _Who_