Coronavirus

Explosive Newt

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Explosive Newt »

We’ve got next to no coronavirus in ICU any more, maybe 2 covid admissions in the last 2 weeks (interestingly nothing care home residents), well down from the 1-2 a day we had in April.

I was interested to read a paper that came out in Science this week which looked at white blood cells from covid survivors - which seemed to avidly recognise various proteins and RNA from the virus. But the interesting thing was a fair proportion of cells from people who hadn’t been exposed to coro reacted to coronavirus proteins, suggesting various other viruses your immune system has been trained on might confer some kind of immunity.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:45 am We’ve got next to no coronavirus in ICU any more, maybe 2 covid admissions in the last 2 weeks (interestingly nothing care home residents), well down from the 1-2 a day we had in April.

I was interested to read a paper that came out in Science this week which looked at white blood cells from covid survivors - which seemed to avidly recognise various proteins and RNA from the virus. But the interesting thing was a fair proportion of cells from people who hadn’t been exposed to coro reacted to coronavirus proteins, suggesting various other viruses your immune system has been trained on might confer some kind of immunity.
If that's the case is it fair to say the old/sick/weak are not just more likely to succumb to it but also more susceptible ?
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I think we don’t really know what makes you susceptible but the old/infirm are more likely to have severe infections and produce higher viral load which is in turn more infectious.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Our neighbours have pretty much ignored all the lock down advice from the Government. They've got a house full at the moment, cars parked on the street, no one outside.

I guess a decent amount of the UK is doing the same.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Orange Cola wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:20 pm Our neighbours have pretty much ignored all the lock down advice from the Government. They've got a house full at the moment, cars parked on the street, no one outside.

I haven't noticed anything like that here. Some neighbours have had a couple of people in the gardens and that's all I've seen.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

We drove to the beach today (tut tut). Although we picked a beach that had limited pre-booked parking, is a massive beach, and with a less good forecast we figured it was fairly low risk.

It was fine, didn't go near anyone else and the weather held up nicely. Didn't see any social distancing issues TBH. We walked up and sat where it was quiet, but even in the busier bits near the car park there had to be 4m+ between groups. It's funny with beaches, it looked busy from a distance but when you got up close you realise the gaps between groups are much bigger than they appear.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I’ve seen the same pattern for everywhere I’ve been recently, local country parks, bike parks, woods, etc; We go at 8:30/9am And it’s quiet and lovely, then at about 11/11:30 the hoards descend and we go home.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:39 pm I’ve seen the same pattern for everywhere I’ve been recently, local country parks, bike parks, woods, etc; We go at 8:30/9am And it’s quiet and lovely, then at about 11/11:30 the hoards descend and we go home.
Similar here, we were going out with the boys before 07:30 but at 08:30 all the dog walkers appeared. So it was home for breakfast.

Dave!
Marv

Post by Marv »

Orange Cola wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:20 pm Our neighbours have pretty much ignored all the lock down advice from the Government. They've got a house full at the moment, cars parked on the street, no one outside.

Yep, our neighbours have completely ignored the lockdown from the start. They've had guests in their holiday home every week. Would love to report the cunts, but they'd know it would be us reporting them, as they're our only neighbours 🙄
Oui, je suis un motard.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Marv wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:28 pm

Yep, our neighbours have completely ignored the lockdown from the start. They've had guests in their holiday home every week. Would love to report the cunts, but they'd know it would be us reporting them, as they're our only neighbours 🙄
My mum is in a similar position, how do you report a nurse from the same place you work at for completely ignoring lockdown rules who’s also your neighbour? It couldn’t be anyone else reporting it either.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

London’s going to be a nightmare as people return over the coming weeks. Most central roads have had a lane reduced either side to turn into cycle lanes, more speed limit reductions to 20, the stupid raised congestion charge, many roads completely blocked off. Knowing the scums behind it I doubt it will ever revert back to normal. You pretty much need a bike or you’re fucked, except bikes are pretty awkward so electric scooters are the way forward till enough idiots ride them and start mowing over people.

Tldr- road capacity reduced 50%, charges up 50%, speed limits cut 50%
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:26 pm London’s going to be a nightmare as people return over the coming weeks. Most central roads have had a lane reduced either side to turn into cycle lanes, more speed limit reductions to 20, the stupid raised congestion charge, many roads completely blocked off. Knowing the scums behind it I doubt it will ever revert back to normal. You pretty much need a bike or you’re fucked, except bikes are pretty awkward so electric scooters are the way forward till enough idiots ride them and start mowing over people.

I only go there a few times a year and in my experience driving in the current form doesn't work anyway. Unless you have a disability driving 5-10 miles per hour in stop start traffic is not efficient.

Herne Hill to the M4 which is 15 miles tops has taken as long as Chiswick to Cardiff (150 miles!) .
Simon

Post by Simon »

We went to see my folks today for the first time since March. Did it all properly, didn't even go through the house and sat in their back garden a distance away from them. It was sad but at the same time a relief.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Carlos wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:04 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:26 pm London’s going to be a nightmare as people return over the coming weeks. Most central roads have had a lane reduced either side to turn into cycle lanes, more speed limit reductions to 20, the stupid raised congestion charge, many roads completely blocked off. Knowing the scums behind it I doubt it will ever revert back to normal. You pretty much need a bike or you’re fucked, except bikes are pretty awkward so electric scooters are the way forward till enough idiots ride them and start mowing over people.

I only go there a few times a year and in my experience driving in the current form doesn't work anyway. Unless you have a disability driving 5-10 miles per hour in stop start traffic is not efficient.

Herne Hill to the M4 which is 15 miles tops has taken as long as Chiswick to Cardiff (150 miles!) .
With what they’ve done you won’t be able to use any form of transport on the road once things get busier, be it bus, car, or taxi.
How about not having a sig at all?
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

New Zealand just hit 0 cases. Everything except borders back to normal as of midnight tonight.

Here starts the watch and see whether that's a permanent status or if there's stuff lurking in the shadows...

Bit of a relief to be honest, though the job losses are already hitting hard.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

KiwiDave wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:26 am New Zealand just hit 0 cases. Everything except borders back to normal as of midnight tonight.

Here starts the watch and see whether that's a permanent status or if there's stuff lurking in the shadows...

It’ll be interesting to see how hard it hits the job market as NZ handled it very differently to the UK. We’re already talking about he possibility of up to 40% of pubs not re-opening which is circa 400,000* jobs.

*Rough calculation based on yesterday’s Country File reporting over 1 million workers in that sector.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:45 am We’ve got next to no coronavirus in ICU any more, maybe 2 covid admissions in the last 2 weeks (interestingly nothing care home residents), well down from the 1-2 a day we had in April.
That's great news, very encouraging.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

KiwiDave wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:26 am New Zealand just hit 0 cases. Everything except borders back to normal as of midnight tonight.

Super Rugby having full stadiums in a few weeks will be a good litmus test - see how infection rates fare...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

This is likely to be an interesting case but more in isolation. NZ locked down so early with so few cases it could that there has been very little herd immunity gained and the country maybe in need of a vaccination programme before they can re-open borders and join the rest of the world. It is good to hear that life internally can return to normality though.
They'll be some doctorates written on each countries handling and how it worked after this for sure.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Interesting take on recent events from the Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -overnight
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…