No F1 thread?

Mito Man

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Mito Man »

Anyone following the Mercedes squat game?
Horner and Helmut seemed convinced Mercedes were cheating at the last race as they suddenly had way higher top speeds. I believe they said Mercedes must have changed their engines mid season to produce more power. Well nope, just clever suspension.

I like the sweet irony that Red Bull couldn't pull this off and resorted to illegally flexing the rear wing to reduce drag but this is an old regulation which has been mastered by Mercedes now and basically lets them squat the whole car :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) I love this kind of stuff, it's not often engineers become Kings, so it must be celebrated! :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Qualifying highlights not on c4 until 8:30 tomorrow morning? What the heck is that all about?
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The quali is really late this year - 10pm so it’s going to finish near midnight.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Didn’t realise Americans actually pronounce Bottas as “Boat Ass” - thought it was just a meme :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:14 am Anyone following the Mercedes squat game?
Horner and Helmut seemed convinced Mercedes were cheating at the last race as they suddenly had way higher top speeds. I believe they said Mercedes must have changed their engines mid season to produce more power. Well nope, just clever suspension.

I like the sweet irony that Red Bull couldn't pull this off and resorted to illegally flexing the rear wing to reduce drag but this is an old regulation which has been mastered by Mercedes now and basically lets them squat the whole car :lol:
so how does it work? As in, what's the physical mechanism that drops it?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

There’s a heave dampener in the rear suspension to prevent the car squatting- I imagine they’ve found a way for the dampener to collapse under full aerodynamic load, therefore allowing the car to squat. Would make sense with the reduction in pace in qualifying relative to practice as drs will reduce the aero load stopping this working. I’m expecting the mercs to be quicker in race trim because of this
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s also set to work above the speed of the fastest corner on the track. In Austin the esses in sector one are taken at over 160 mph therefore it only drops above that speed which makes it less effective compared to Istanbul.
Mexico with its massive straights will be good to see how well it works.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Looks a long way back for LH now IMO, particularly with a supposed further engine penalty on the way and a number of RB tracks to go. Not a big deficit so could change in an instant of course.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

It would be amazing if we went into Abu Dhabi with less than 7 points separating them and the cars evenly matched. Wheel to wheel at the front with the WDC on the line in the last race would be spesh.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Level on points into the final race. Max leads Lewis but bins it on the last corner into the wall with the finish in sight. He has just enough drive to punt Lewis off as he passes. Max jumps out of his car, Lewis sees and follows suit. They race on foot, Chris Froome stylee, to the finish line. Lewis, who also grabbed his steering wheel, doesn’t have the pace of the younger man but his lead from where his car came to rest is sufficient and he takes the win on the line.

What are the odds?
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

JonMad wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:05 am Level on points into the final race. Max leads Lewis but bins it on the last corner into the wall with the finish in sight. He has just enough drive to punt Lewis off as he passes. Max jumps out of his car, Lewis sees and follows suit. They race on foot, Chris Froome stylee, to the finish line. Lewis, who also grabbed his steering wheel, doesn’t have the pace of the younger man but his lead from where his car came to rest is sufficient and he takes the win on the line.

What are the odds?
Sounds awesome. 😎 Can we have them negotiate an escaped rabid pet tiger sporting a diamond-encrusted collar on the way to the line?
GG.

Post by GG. »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:48 am Looks a long way back for LH now IMO, particularly with a supposed further engine penalty on the way and a number of RB tracks to go. Not a big deficit so could change in an instant of course.
Yes even a Max DNF would now only bring them back into parity, plus the potential 5 place grid drop for the engine penalty you mention. I think the RB is just too quick this year but it is still so close that anything (well, not Jon's scenario :lol:) could happen.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

GG. wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:49 am
duncs500 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:48 am Looks a long way back for LH now IMO, particularly with a supposed further engine penalty on the way and a number of RB tracks to go. Not a big deficit so could change in an instant of course.
Yes even a Max DNF would now only bring them back into parity
Unless I missed something, a Max DNF would put Lewis further ahead of Max than Max's current lead (assuming Lewis won the race). :?
GG.

Post by GG. »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:47 am
GG. wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:49 am
Yes even a Max DNF would now only bring them back into parity
Unless I missed something, a Max DNF would put Lewis further ahead of Max than Max's current lead (assuming Lewis won the race). :?
You're right - Lewis would then be ahead by 13. I though the gap to MV was bigger for some reason.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

The size difference between Shaq and everyone else on the podium was hilarious...

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

:lol: The real pic was funny enough though tbh
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

This is when Nick Heidfeld met Shaq...

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

A good race this ain’t.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

No. First lap shenanigans aside, it hasn't exactly been an edge-of-seat experience.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away