Your fleet running reports

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Sundayjumper »

GG. wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:47 pm I think the throw in the 997 is already somewhat shorter than the 6s anyway so perhaps not worth it on my car anyway.
I was going to say that. Fitting the standard 987/997 shifter to the 996 is a popular upgrade (I've done it to mine), so yours is already a shorter throw than Foz started with. So I guess the SSK above would be less of a jump ?

The alternative is fitting the complete GT3 assembly. Also quite a popular choice.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Well, it took a couple of attempts to get going, I think it struggled a bit with the old fuel, and not convinced the regulator is in particularly good health. I drove it out and straight up onto the trailer.

Bit of a struggle getting the straps over the wheels as they're pretty tight to the arches.

The last tax disc ran out October 2006 😂

The tappets have quietened right down, its mainly injector tick now. Tried taking a video but the phone just makes it sound horendous
Cheers, Harry
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Exige has been a bit of stroppy of late, intermittently limiting revs to 4.5k when I was up North a few weeks ago. Thankfully Mik didn’t mind me turning up on his doorstep at 10pm on a Friday night to diagnose the problem using his OBD reader (thank you again kind sir). Codes seem to point to an exhaust related issue, so clearly the best solution was to fit a 2bular stainless system.

I’m told it’s being fitted in the next week or so, but I’m fully aware that 2bular’s lead time can be *ahem* approximate at best, so we’ll see.

Sounds like it’ll be worth the wait regardless though.

https://youtu.be/8NTULsgRMns

8-)
Foz

Post by Foz »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:38 pm Well, it took a couple of attempts to get going, I think it struggled a bit with the old fuel, and not convinced the regulator is in particularly good health. I drove it out and straight up onto the trailer.

Bit of a struggle getting the straps over the wheels as they're pretty tight to the arches.

The last tax disc ran out October 2006 😂

The tappets have quietened right down, its mainly injector tick now. Tried taking a video but the phone just makes it sound horendous
That looks a cracking wee car, whats the story, sold or off to get a refresh and going again?
mik

Post by mik »

Maurice wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:22 pm Exige has been a bit of stroppy of late, intermittently limiting revs to 4.5k when I was up North a few weeks ago. Thankfully Mik didn’t mind me turning up on his doorstep at 10pm on a Friday night to diagnose the problem using his OBD reader (thank you again kind sir). Codes seem to point to an exhaust related issue, so clearly the best solution was to fit a 2bular stainless system.

I’m told it’s being fitted in the next week or so, but I’m fully aware that 2bular’s lead time can be *ahem* approximate at best, so we’ll see.

8-)
Those v6 Lotuseses sound rubbish.

8-)
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Foz wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:47 am
That looks a cracking wee car, whats the story, sold or off to get a refresh and going again?
The original plan was to reshell it into an early non-sunroof 1.1 I bought and stored years ago, but getting this out into the open again it doesn't look as bad as I had remembered. I had welded several large plates in, but everything still looks solid, I need to get it up in the air and have a proper poke about before I make my decision.

In reality I'll almost certainly reshell it, it's a pretty simple job as all the front end is held in by a subframe which has four bolts holding it to the body.

The only complicated bit is I'll have to swap the wiring loom and fuel tank as the 1.1 is a carb with mechanical fuel pump and distributor, but they're so basic it would be a matter of a couple of hours rather than several days like on something modern.

Oh, and the inevitable scope creep and 'while it's out' factor means nothing is ever that straightforward 😂
Cheers, Harry
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

A colleague was having a dent repair done in the carpark this morning so I went outside to ask the bloke if he could take a look at a 5 inch scratch/scuff on my door and see what could be done. Had a message later in the day to go outside and see him, turns out he'd done a bit of a repair on it while he was waiting for the paint on the other car to dry. It's not perfect but I had to really look to find where the damage had been. He did it for free too so I gave him some beer money. Result!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Maurice wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:22 pm so clearly the best solution was to fit a 2bular stainless system.
8-) Winning with correctness as usual mudge.
ste

Post by ste »

Friend with the Hoffmans bigger superchargered V6 has a full 2bular on it. It sounds f*cking ace. 8-)
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Maurice wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:22 pm

Jim has a rather...mixed reputation on SELOC ;)
https://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=449571

He's a rather odd fellow to say the least, I've seen some of things he posted before. I'm guessing the fine line between madness and genius applies here.
ste

Post by ste »

Dan Webster will tell you more I'm sure, but Jim is a kind of flawed genius. My 2bular exhaust was ace, but there are others out there of comparable quality. I understand Dan's relacement guy turned out to be a headache for him too and he's moved on yet again.

I did sort of enjoy my chats with Jim where the delays were blamed on losing his phone at least 3 times, migraines, welder breaking at least twice, power cut, postal strikes etc. Delay was quite a few months, but you know, meh.
Matty

Post by Matty »

"B" Service completed on the Elise. Thankfully, what I thought was sticking caliper(s) just turned out to be an adjustment required on the handbrake. Phew 8-)

A spit and polish at the weekend, a few pictures and it's the "play the guessing game" as to its worth. Although it's in awesome shape mechanically, there are a few cosmetic issues which hold it back - and although Elise's are meant to be all about the driving, most people only care about the cosmetics so I'm hoping I can find someone who can look past that.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Matty wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:55 pm "B" Service completed on the Elise. Thankfully, what I thought was sticking caliper(s) just turned out to be an adjustment required on the handbrake. Phew 8-)

A spit and polish at the weekend, a few pictures and it's the "play the guessing game" as to its worth. Although it's in awesome shape mechanically, there are a few cosmetic issues which hold it back - and although Elise's are meant to be all about the driving, most people only care about the cosmetics so I'm hoping I can find someone who can look past that.
Genuinely thought you might keep the Elise a while! What's the replacement going to be Matty?
Matty

Post by Matty »

speedingfine wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:08 am

Genuinely thought you might keep the Elise a while! What's the replacement going to be Matty?
I've had it two years now, which is usually my "time to swap". I was planning to buy an Evora, like Mik Mikkeleson, however the "S" models are a bit of a stretch financially and I'm not sure the 280bhp NA is enough.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Matty wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:50 pm

I've had it two years now, which is usually my "time to swap". I was planning to buy an Evora, like Mik Mikkeleson, however the "S" models are a bit of a stretch financially and I'm not sure the 280bhp NA is enough.
981 it is then ;)
Matty

Post by Matty »

Coaster1 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:16 pm
Matty wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:50 pm

981 it is then ;)
I have genuinely been looking at 981 Caymans as there is an OPC down the road. However, as someone who never uses main dealer servicing, I dislike this whole "domination" Porsche have over their cars and owners.

Their base servicing cost is fairly reasonable, as is their full warranty - I think you can get a service plan and 2 year warranty for £1500. However, it's their "fuck you, we're Porsche it's our way or nothing" that gets me. All parts MUST be from OPC else the warranty isn't in place (£280 for a Battery!?!?). Even if you have a current warranty, and full OPC history, you STILL need the 111 point check to extend the warranty?

So I looked at moving outside the network, but most on PH agreed that selling a modern (<10 year) Porsche without OPC history will be far more difficult as most Porsche buyers aren't the type who will avoid anything without full OPC SH....and am I brave enough to run one wihout a warranty? Not sure.

Not to mention that the Cayman prices roughly mirror Evora prices - 2.7/285bhp is £30k, 3.4/325bhp is £35k
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Genuinely thought you might keep the Elise a while!
:lol: Are you new?

FWIW Matt, I went in mudge's NA Evora and it sounded great and felt pretty quick to me. Maybe worth a test drive at least? I really liked it.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Matty wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:03 pm OPC stuff
Can’t disagree with you there. Luckily (?!) I drive an old Porsche so don’t have to deal with that stuff.

Anyway, another fan of Evora here.
Marv

Post by Marv »

duncs500 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:23 pm
FWIW Matt, I went in mudge's NA Evora and it sounded great and felt pretty quick to me. Maybe worth a test drive at least? I really liked it.
+1

Can I say I didn't really notice any difference in performance between Mik's Evora SR YC edition, and Ross's 'normal' Evora? Obviously a few years passed between passengering in each of them, and Ross had the muppet induction kit fitted, which sounded ace 😎

Maybe it's also because Mik seemed a little less of a nutcase behind the wheel as well? 😉
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

Marv wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:08 pm
Can I say I didn't really notice any difference in performance between Mik's Evora SR YC edition, and Ross's 'normal' Evora? Obviously a few years passed between passengering in each of them, and Ross had the muppet induction kit fitted, which sounded ace 😎

Maybe it's also because Mik seemed a little less of a nutcase behind the wheel as well? 😉
Mine has as extra 70bhp. Now I am no racing snake, but c'mon Marv :cry:

I may have made several fully audible - but competely involuntary - noises when Ayrton Mudge gave me a p-ride on teh secret road in his Exige. If he ever states that he is just going to "take it easy,...no heroics"... do not even get in the car. :shock: