Page 17 of 18

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2026 9:49 pm
by Mito Man
Don't get crashed into by the NHS is my take away from my dad. Ambulance hit him whilst he was stopped, waiting for it to pass as it was on a blue light run. Only wing mirror to wing mirror. But both vehicles needed new wing mirrors. Ambulance had 360 dash cams but they're taking it to court. Pretty normal with the NHS according to insurer, they said it would likely go to court from the initial phone call!
Also a replacement black plastic wing mirror on an ambulance (Fiat van) is apparently £12,000. Whoever looks after the NHS fleet must be a billionaire :lol:

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:19 pm
by Explosive Newt
Jobbo wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 9:23 pm Like SJ, Admiral. And my M5 is cheaper to insure than his 😂
I have a vivid memory of being involved in an accident and being picked up within 45 minutes while the other party still being on hold to Admiral as I left…

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:20 pm
by Explosive Newt
Jobbo wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 9:31 pm I’ve been arguing with BUPA today so even insurers who have a good reputation can be arseholes.
Do they?

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2026 6:18 am
by Jobbo
Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:20 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 9:31 pm I’ve been arguing with BUPA today so even insurers who have a good reputation can be arseholes.
Do they?
Reputation? I thought so but maybe you know otherwise 😄

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2026 1:29 pm
by tim
Just got my bike insurance through, and even with a change of bike next week the premium is down by £105 to £201 a year. :lol:

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2026 10:11 am
by Explosive Newt
Jobbo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2026 6:18 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:20 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 9:31 pm I’ve been arguing with BUPA today so even insurers who have a good reputation can be arseholes.
Do they?
Reputation? I thought so but maybe you know otherwise 😄
I've found them to be very hard taskmasters about what they will and won't cover in some circumstances... insisting things are returned to NHS or self paid etc.

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2026 10:35 am
by integrale_evo
Mito Man wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 9:49 pm
Also a replacement black plastic wing mirror on an ambulance (Fiat van) is apparently £12,000. Whoever looks after the NHS fleet must be a billionaire :lol:
My mrs’ cousin is an ambulance technician and says it’s basically a license to print money.

Tbh, all businesses are like it. A Hella lamp on one of our work fork trucks got damaged. Jungheindrich who have the service and maintenance contract wanted £450 + fitting. A local Hella dealer ordered one in for £80 and one of our fitters swapped it over in 15 mins.

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2026 10:55 am
by Jobbo
Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2026 10:11 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2026 6:18 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:20 pm

Do they?
Reputation? I thought so but maybe you know otherwise 😄
I've found them to be very hard taskmasters about what they will and won't cover in some circumstances... insisting things are returned to NHS or self paid etc.
Interesting. In my case they’ve gone back on a pre-authorisation.

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2026 2:46 pm
by Explosive Newt
I’m fairly sure I am getting shafted by NFU mutual and I’m not really sure why.

£174 a month.
From gocompare the median is about £70 with outliers £45 to £140.

I’m 41, been driving since 17. Nothing on driving licence.
No-fault accidents 11 and 3 years ago. At fault 5 years ago (but I had NCB protection). I’m therefore saying I have 10 years+ NCB… is that wrong.. should it be 5 to be conservative?

I will give them a ring on Monday to haggle this and see what damage adding a Cayman will do but it seems hard to justify sticking with them.

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2026 2:47 pm
by Explosive Newt
Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2026 10:55 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2026 10:11 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2026 6:18 am
Reputation? I thought so but maybe you know otherwise 😄
I've found them to be very hard taskmasters about what they will and won't cover in some circumstances... insisting things are returned to NHS or self paid etc.
Interesting. In my case they’ve gone back on a pre-authorisation.
I think it is getting like US insurance where there is a xottage industry about finding ways to deny folks cover.

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:10 pm
by integrale_evo
Renewals for both compact and x5 have just come through, and both approx +£100, which is about 30% and 25% extra respectively. Time to hit the meerkats

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:18 pm
by Matty
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:10 pm Renewals for both compact and x5 have just come through, and both approx +£100, which is about 30% and 25% extra respectively. Time to hit the meerkats
Don't forget, MSE usually does cheaper comparison quotes than the others...

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 11:27 pm
by Beany
Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2026 2:46 pm I’m fairly sure I am getting shafted by NFU mutual and I’m not really sure why.

£174 a month.
From gocompare the median is about £70 with outliers £45 to £140.

I’m 41, been driving since 17. Nothing on driving licence.
No-fault accidents 11 and 3 years ago. At fault 5 years ago (but I had NCB protection). I’m therefore saying I have 10 years+ NCB… is that wrong.. should it be 5 to be conservative?

I will give them a ring on Monday to haggle this and see what damage adding a Cayman will do but it seems hard to justify sticking with them.
I'm 44, Leeds/Bradford :shock: with a Z4C 3.0si and I'm paying less than half that.

With a fresh write off against my name.

Fuck them off.

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 9:03 am
by Rich B
you know you’re getting shafted when you start talking about the cost of insurance “per month”.

That is a huge cost, i wonder if the accidents are the issue? surely you only need to declare ones in the last 5 years?

Daft question - you are applying for quotes 3 weeks before renewal? the cost if you quote insurance on the day you need it is 50%!more than if you do it 3 weeks ahead.

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:09 am
by GG.
Beany wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 11:27 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2026 2:46 pm I’m fairly sure I am getting shafted by NFU mutual and I’m not really sure why.

£174 a month.
From gocompare the median is about £70 with outliers £45 to £140.

I’m 41, been driving since 17. Nothing on driving licence.
No-fault accidents 11 and 3 years ago. At fault 5 years ago (but I had NCB protection). I’m therefore saying I have 10 years+ NCB… is that wrong.. should it be 5 to be conservative?

I will give them a ring on Monday to haggle this and see what damage adding a Cayman will do but it seems hard to justify sticking with them.
I'm 44, Leeds/Bradford :shock: with a Z4C 3.0si and I'm paying less than half that.

With a fresh write off against my name.

Fuck them off.
Is this on the Tesla? I wonder if there is an EV premium in this.

The other point I would also flag is re the NCB - even though that is preserved, it just means you get the same discount off a potentially very larger base premium post any claim so it has less of an effect that you might think. You should ask your insurer for what number of years NCB they have on file for you and use that as the new insurer will likely ask for confirmation from them.

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:08 pm
by V8Granite
Mito Man wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 9:49 pm Don't get crashed into by the NHS is my take away from my dad. Ambulance hit him whilst he was stopped, waiting for it to pass as it was on a blue light run. Only wing mirror to wing mirror. But both vehicles needed new wing mirrors. Ambulance had 360 dash cams but they're taking it to court. Pretty normal with the NHS according to insurer, they said it would likely go to court from the initial phone call!
Also a replacement black plastic wing mirror on an ambulance (Fiat van) is apparently £12,000. Whoever looks after the NHS fleet must be a billionaire :lol:
No no no, the NHS is underfunded don't you know 😂

Dave!

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:30 pm
by GG.
V8Granite wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:08 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 9:49 pm Don't get crashed into by the NHS is my take away from my dad. Ambulance hit him whilst he was stopped, waiting for it to pass as it was on a blue light run. Only wing mirror to wing mirror. But both vehicles needed new wing mirrors. Ambulance had 360 dash cams but they're taking it to court. Pretty normal with the NHS according to insurer, they said it would likely go to court from the initial phone call!
Also a replacement black plastic wing mirror on an ambulance (Fiat van) is apparently £12,000. Whoever looks after the NHS fleet must be a billionaire :lol:
No no no, the NHS is underfunded don't you know 😂

Dave!
https://www.spareshut.com/products/fiat ... buEALw_wcB

£44 so the delta to the £12,000 must be the small reflective strip they add. I wonder if they have an F1 team produce it for them.

Seriously though - public procurement rules are one of the reasons I do believe some the amount of waste that could be trimmed is enormous. Some figures place that aspect at 1bn a year for the NHS but apparently they also throw away £300m of wasted medicine a year so I imagine cost savings from efficiencies and reforming procurement rules along with other reforms that you'd see in private sector businesses could easily be multiple billions annually.

The problem is all this money leaks to people somewhere in the chain so the resistance is massive.

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:49 pm
by V8Granite
I wonder if there is a difference between private and NHS procurement or it's all dodgy and corrupt ?

Dave!

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 3:02 pm
by 16vCento
Renewal for the GTE just came through from Aviva, less than 300 quid for next year, CBA searching for other renewals at that price.

First time I've ever had a renewal come through less than the previous year!

Re: Car insurance

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 4:16 pm
by Sundayjumper
GG. wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:09 am Is this on the Tesla? I wonder if there is an EV premium in this.
The premiums for my wife's ID.3 & my 118d are near-identical, less than £3 apart, despite the ID.3 being 5 years newer & worth 5x as much.

🤷‍♂️