Bicyclist thread

ste

Re: Bicyclist thread

Post by ste »

Some great autocorrects in that Dave. :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It’s a cycling post so obviously it knew about Lycra and shiny things and corrected accordingly :o

Dave!
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

ste wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:03 pm I'd been thinking of getting rid of my trail hardtail and swapping it for 2 bikes. A full-sus trail bike and a lighter, faster carbon XC bike. I kept looking about and decided that what i wanted was too expensive and it'd have to wait. I thought I'd managed to resist buying a 5010 to fulfil the trail bike element, and then Jack, the mechanic at Pedal & Spoke put his own bike up for sale at a price that just made it too tempting.

It's last year's model, but it's a 5010 CC in black, in the correct size (L). He'd also fitted quite a lot of parts I liked and would have fitted, including Bergtec stem and pedals, Bergtec carbon bar, Hope headset and BB and it'd been invisiframed from new. in fact he even re-did some of the Invisiframe for me as part of the deal and swapped quite a few bolts and things for black ones and put stealth black stickers on the Pikes for me.

I'm really pleased with it and the service from Jack when buying was absolutely fantastic. I've ridden it about locally but haven't had a 'proper' ride yet. I'm at Swinley this Saturday though; can't wait.
That Sir - is fucking legit. 8-)

Is it mit Reserve wheels?

I hired a Nomad (alu) over Xmas to take to the Christchurch bike park as a treat to myself - been wanting to ride a Santa Cruz for ages. It did not fail in living up to the hype, I absolutely loved it. I reckon my fitness and asthma still prevent me riding a non EMTB over mixed terrain but as we have a bike park with transfers here (that I haven't visited yet) I've started fantasizing about a Nomad or Bronson to go with my Levo. Yours looks legit in murdered out black too... 8-) 8-)

I bought this recently - ex rental Roubaix for about 500 quid. Really well maintained and full warranty on the frame as new. One step closer to getting a trainer going at home... Excuse the clown pedals, they were really just something to ride it home. Eyeing up a pair of SPDs for it as money allows. I've had a few brief rides around the streets by home and I'm staggered how anyone could ride these things for fun - feel so vulnerable, unstable and brittle out on the roads. :lol:

ste

Post by ste »

KiwiDave wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:44 am That Sir - is fucking legit. 8-)

Is it mit Reserve wheels?
No, Halo Vortex. None of the spec is really as a CC would normally come, but then I didn't pay the £6 - 9k one is. It's a typical bikeshop mechanic's bike, built it up from parts and has been sensible in places, knowing what wears on a bike in the UK (eg it's running mid-spec cassette, deraileur etc and he's put money into nicer bits that shouldn't wear out like the Burgtec parts). I'd love a set of Reserves but the bike's enough of a luxury as it is.

Swinley on Saturday was amazing. I'm a ride leader for our local youth MTB club, so was riding with kids but I still got chance to let rip over some sections and it just flys. Very pleased so far.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ridgeback-MX16 ... 113871.htm

Just ordered this for the eldest after he did so well on the BMX track on Sunday.

His requirements were that it be blue and 100 fast, this should cover that. Found another 10% off with a coupon too.

Dave!
ste

Post by ste »

I bought a new stem and Garmin mount. I'd been waiting for the Extralite CH-01 mount ever since I saw the CAD mock-up on the Exralite website last year, so ended up buying it and getting it shipped from Italy on the first day it was for sale. I ordered a Hyperstem Stealth too in 110mm -6deg.

Stem and Garmin mount together are 96g

The mount is unusual, but I really like the skeletal design. I love the stem too.

Unfortunately, the very first time I fitted the Garmin and rotated it there was a loud crack noise. I removed it to find the mount had broken. It should be said, this part isn't made by Extralite, it's branded with another company's logo underneath.

I contacted Extralite and they didn't hesitate to send me a new one on a fast airmail service. Interestingly I noted on Instagram that it had cracked and a few other people replied to me saying they'd just bought one and their mount had also cracked in the same place.

For interest, this is what the Extralite CH-01 carbon part looks like under the generic plastic Garmin holder.

The old one was fitted with Loctite 243, so needed heating before removing the fasteners. I then fitted the new one on torqued up to 1NM. I did wonder if the first mount had been over-torqued at the factory causing a stress-riser in the plastic.

New one fitted and seems to have no issues. I'm pleased with it.

New weight is 5.43kg

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

How much more weight do you think you can realistically remove?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ste

Post by ste »

I could remove loads more, there are bikes on WeightWeenies around 3kg. I don’t want to though, it’s a balance between weight and other performance. Eg the wheels I have on it are heavy compared to light climbing wheels but they’re fast as fuck. It’s also about the aesthetic for me too, I want the lines to work. Now I’ve changed the stem the handlebars look wrong so they’re next on the hitlist. Mr Darimo in Spain will be getting messaged to make me some to match the custom seat post he made.

I’m obviously just doing it because I enjoy building it. I passed the point of diminishing returns and making any sense ages ago. I enjoy researching the parts and finding some of the small boutique places around the world making some of the parts. It shows how small the internet has made the world.

It’s cool when someone tells you they have a light bike though and they then pick this up. :D
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

ste wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:03 pm

I’m obviously just doing it because I enjoy building it. I passed the point of diminishing returns and making any sense ages ago. I enjoy researching the parts and finding some of the small boutique places around the world making some of the parts. It shows how small the internet has made the world.
Totally get that ✔️
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:34 am
ste wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:03 pm

Totally get that ✔️
Me too.
---
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

IIRC Ste guided me to a balance bike for my little girl at the back end of last year. We got her a Zoom aluminium framed one in pink which she loves. She is now ready to progress to a proper bicycle so I'd like a little advice on what's good and what to avoid? She's 5yrs old and approx 116cm tall.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Isla or Frog bikes. I bought a Frog one on eBay for the eldest and it has been great. Cosmetically tired, but the way he treats it I'm glad I didn't fork out for a new one.

They hold their value really well too.

Edit: I would avoid gears until she's fully in control of the bike (stopping/starting/balance, etc.).
---
ste

Post by ste »

All of that ^.

The simpler and lighter the better. Avoid gears, suspension etc. Islas are lovely, but have gone from expensive to very expensive over the last 10 years.

Frog, Hoy and others now make lovely, light kids bikes that are more reasonable.

Also don't overlook second-hand, although be mindful Islas hold their value very well. In fact with the price rises they've had, I've bought them new and then sold them when we've finished with them and they hardly cost us anything. Used kids bikes vary hugely too, from loved, well maintained things that are kept in warm, dry garages to ones that are left lying on a lawn 12 months a year.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Given her age and height she's big enough for a 20" wheeled MTB/hybrid. Both my kids had Islabikes at that age and although they were well used, they were looked after and were sold on for £200+ , they weren't much more than that new.

I suspect a decent used bike at £200 will always be worth that.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Considering the below as young McSwede will grow into it nicely and it looks like it'll be easy to hop on and off for her. I have an Orbea and it seems to be nice kit and this one seems to be well discounted.

I couldn't find anything decent locally on eBay.

Thoughts please.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-Grow-2-1 ... 109764.htm
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My brother has bought a few specialized hot rock 20s for his boy and a few family friends off eBay. A bit of spannering here and there and you’ve got a decent bike for about £100 that you can put back on eBay once you’re done for the same.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Orbea Team mtb's were what my kids moved onto in 24 then 26" wheel sizes, they are cracking kids bikes if not quite as desirable as the islabikes.

The kids specialized bikes are heavy with low end components as standard.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Carlos wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:10 pm Orbea Team mtb's were what my kids moved onto in 24 then 26" wheel sizes, they are cracking kids bikes if not quite as desirable as the islabikes.

a Hotrock weighs almost the same as that weird looking orbea except it has suspension forks.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rich B wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:29 pm
Carlos wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:10 pm Orbea Team mtb's were what my kids moved onto in 24 then 26" wheel sizes, they are cracking kids bikes if not quite as desirable as the islabikes.

a Hotrock weighs almost the same as that weird looking orbea except it has suspension forks.
Lol not the odd thing , I was comparing the 20' islabike to the hotrock.

They maybe by better now but when my kids were at that age 8+ yrs ago the big brand stuff for kids were steel clunkers.
ste

Post by ste »

I made a few changes to the 5010 to make it more 'mine'. Changed the tyres now the trails are drying out for some Minion DHF and DHR (more than a little bit because the yellow MAXXIS script perfectly matches the yellow script on the frame :lol: ) and fitted a few more Burgtec bits. It has a Burgtec RW carbon bar already and Burgtec stem (in black anodized). I fitted Burgtec Penthouse black ano pedals and swapped the grips for a set of black anodised Burgtec bartenders.

Absolutely loving it, it's just so competent. I'm starting to throw it down and over things with almost reckless abandon as it just shrugs it off. I'm hitting lumps at such speed and not thinking twice about launching it off drops and ramps flat out. I'm probably very close to being hospitalised in a huge and spectacular crash. 8-)

I've also done N+1 but not collecting that until next week...