Decent Recent TV

dinny_g

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by dinny_g »

Barry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:02 pm
dinny_g wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:45 am I do love crap American Cop Shows so was surprised and pleased to see Magnum PI has been picked up by another network for a 5th series. It's still as shallow as a puddle and as thin as a Ciggie paper but I do enjoy it.

Similarly - The Rookie. I'm halfway through series 2.

I do like utter crap TV...
I quite enjoy the new Magnum too, although I've seen they've canned it after S5 😆
It was canned after S4 too, suddenly. At least this way, they can round off a few plot lines
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Simon_P wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:11 pm The Bear season 2, if it’s possible, it’s even better than the first season 😲
☝️ Correct

So many great episodes in there, using wildly different styles.
Simon_P

Post by Simon_P »

Just finishing the last season of Snowfall S06. Which has been solid all the way through.

Mr Inbetween has been outstanding and along with The Bear is my favourite show of recent times.

About to start the final season of Jack Ryan.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I've been digging The Bear, I can only watch it alone though as my partner is an ex chef and they have kitchen related ptsd.
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:40 am I've been going through a phase of watching sitcoms in the background while we're milling around the flat.

Frasier - Obviously seen it all before on C4 mornings but it was nice to watch it all through. It's good

Cheers - Never watched it before, it's a prequel to Frasier ;). Some laughs though, it's good

Spin City - Watched it up until Michael J Fox left, I'm guessing it was his Parkinson's? I enjoyed it up to then but it goes off a cliff when Charlie Sheen came on board. The whole show just feels sleazy without Michael J Fox's inherent wholesomeness. I also didn't realise that the mayor was Barry Bostwick, who played Brad in the Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's good for 4 seasons

Third Rock From The Sun - Slow start but it get's better as the characters find their feet. Some sketchy episodes but it was disarming as the aliens would be approaching some heavy subjects like racism from a completely innocent angle. It's good

The Brittas Empire - A lot more going on with this show than I remember from when I was a kid. Chris Barrie is a masterclass in smugness throughout. It's good.

The Great North - Animated series from some of the folk behind Bob's Burgers about a family in small town Alaska. I'm loving it. It's rare to find a show written for adults where there's very little conflict and that's nice. It's good.
Further to this we watched Modern Family and Sex and the City. Modern Family was a great surprise, I wasn't expecting much but I loved it. Will definitely go into the regular rotation. Sex and the city was alright, I spent most of the watch time judging the terrible men they kept picking, which I guess is the point of the show? :lol:

Lastly, From. It's a horror series about a group of strangers who are trapped in an abandoned town and hunted by monsters every night. It's decent, not amazing but compelling enough to keep watching.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

What We Do In The Shadows is back for Season 5 and it's still lots of fun.

Foundation is back for Season 2 (not that you'd know given the lack of any publicity for it that I came across) and it's still pretty solid so far.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Oh I watched Silo on Apple TV, also very good.

Waiting for some episodes to build up before I jump into Foundation S2.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, it's only just started and while it's formatted to be weekly, it's still easier with something like foundation to binge it a bit given there's a fair bit going on.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I bounced straight of Foundation S1 after the most ludicrously poorly built and secured orbital elevator thing. Which Must have been about Episode 2?

I have vague but fond memories of the books.

Just about finished another rewatch of Firefly, I don't think it's rose coloured glasses it is just bloody good Space Cowboy action. Dollhouse could join the queue for another visit too.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Power of Parker - BBC’s new sitcom written by and starring Siân Gibson from Peter Kay’s Car Share. They’ve been promoting it fairly heavily but I still forgot about it until I looked at iplayer tonight.

It’s great. A few discrepancies with period things (wrong alloys on the Merc and Saab for being set in November 1990, some music not yet released) but that’s the sort of thing which is more fun to spot for geeks like us than spoiling the enjoyment.
tim

Post by tim »

Lionesses - Empowered female kiling spree. Trope-tastic. I would.

Tulsa King - this has bee on my must-check-out list for ages, and I finally got around to Ep1 last night. Liked it a lot. Sly is ace.

The Great Season 3 - ridiculous as ever, Elle Fanning as hot as ever. Huzzah!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

More good tv: Irvine Welsh’s Crime. I saw the promo ads for this when it was originally released just on Britbox. Now it’s finally on ITV we watched all six episodes this weekend. My wife wasn’t that bothered but I persuaded her to view the first one and she was hooked.

Welsh proves he is versatile, and I demonstrate that it’s a while since I read Filth because I thought the main character in Crime was the same main character as in Filth - no, he’s in both but it’s not. So while I was initially surprised at the lack of whoring and drug use, it was a bit of a surprise to watch a really well-made and compelling whodunnit detective drama which would easily sustain a few series like Cracker or Line of Duty. Plenty of good actors in it as well. Only negative was the sound quality was a bit soft in places so the strong Scots accent was occasionally harder than necessary to decipher.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Good Omens 2 Utter crap, don't waste your time.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:37 am Lastly, From. It's a horror series about a group of strangers who are trapped in an abandoned town and hunted by monsters every night. It's decent, not amazing but compelling enough to keep watching.
Finished S2 last night, I'm still enjoying it but it's doing that thing where it just piles up mysteries without resolving anything. Some of the producers also made Lost and it does feel like Folk Horror Lost.

Not convinced I'll stick with it if/when a new series comes.
An absolute unit
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I binge-watched both seasons of The Bear over the last few weeks and the whole thing is absolutely brilliant. I worked in a few kitchens when I was younger and it's all so perfectly spot-on and the way they show the difficulties in running a restaurant is perfect. Also the family stuff is powerful too, the Xmas episode in season 2 was lowkey traumatic to watch - which I guess was the idea. Richie's character arc was amazing to follow too, definitely one of the biggest parts of the show. It's the best new series I've watched in a looong time.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:59 am More good tv: Irvine Welsh’s Crime. I saw the promo ads for this when it was originally released just on Britbox. Now it’s finally on ITV we watched all six episodes this weekend. My wife wasn’t that bothered but I persuaded her to view the first one and she was hooked.

Welsh proves he is versatile, and I demonstrate that it’s a while since I read Filth because I thought the main character in Crime was the same main character as in Filth - no, he’s in both but it’s not. So while I was initially surprised at the lack of whoring and drug use, it was a bit of a surprise to watch a really well-made and compelling whodunnit detective drama which would easily sustain a few series like Cracker or Line of Duty. Plenty of good actors in it as well. Only negative was the sound quality was a bit soft in places so the strong Scots accent was occasionally harder than necessary to decipher.
@mik Offers a subscription based translation service for southerners watching Scottish television. Lookup Trainspotting dialect services on social media. He also offers a meth delivery service.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Gavster wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:39 pm I binge-watched both seasons of The Bear over the last few weeks and the whole thing is absolutely brilliant. I worked in a few kitchens when I was younger and it's all so perfectly spot-on and the way they show the difficulties in running a restaurant is perfect. Also the family stuff is powerful too, the Xmas episode in season 2 was lowkey traumatic to watch - which I guess was the idea. Richie's character arc was amazing to follow too, definitely one of the biggest parts of the show. It's the best new series I've watched in a looong time.
Yeah, I'm about half way through S2 and it's great. They obviously put a lot of effort into making the kitchen stuff seem legit, loving how much Matty Matheson it has as well :lol:

I had a little something in my eye when Carm gave Tina his knife.
An absolute unit
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Gavster wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:39 pm I binge-watched both seasons of The Bear over the last few weeks and the whole thing is absolutely brilliant. I worked in a few kitchens when I was younger and it's all so perfectly spot-on and the way they show the difficulties in running a restaurant is perfect. Also the family stuff is powerful too, the Xmas episode in season 2 was lowkey traumatic to watch - which I guess was the idea. Richie's character arc was amazing to follow too, definitely one of the biggest parts of the show. It's the best new series I've watched in a looong time.
I was knackered after watching that :lol:
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:58 pm I had a little something in my eye when Carm gave Tina his knife.
That one got me too. Thinking about it, it was a really clever setup and scene, it was only a few seconds long and a few words, but it hit hard.
240PP wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:49 pm I was knackered after watching that :lol:
Yeah, right? Keeping up with the dialogue when the mother was cooking was absolutely exhausting.
Simon_P

Post by Simon_P »

Yes it’s brilliant TV. Try Mr Inbetween for something equally as excellent and also different.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Simon_P wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:43 am
Yes it’s brilliant TV. Try Mr Inbetween for something equally as excellent and also different.
Thanks, will check that out!