Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Trump

Post by Rich B »

What was it? Tweet deleted.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

mik wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:45 pm And unfortunately it won’t make any difference.....

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... d=tw-share
Of course not, the people he appeals to will think he’s very good and smart for tricking the government.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

I am now hitting a pay-wall for the NYTimes.

Effectively the same story here:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... y-54319948
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:19 am
mik wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:45 pm And unfortunately it won’t make any difference.....

Of course not, the people he appeals to will think he’s very good and smart for tricking the government.
This. TBH he could probably walk into the front room of any of his supporters, piss on their kids, rifle through their purses/wallets for all the cash they have, and then tell them that he wasn't there and it's all fake, and they'd probably still support him.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Sad but true Mervin, sad but true... :(
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:40 am
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:19 am

This. TBH he could probably walk into the front room of any of his supporters, piss on their kids, rifle through their purses/wallets for all the cash they have - whilst on video, and then tell them that he wasn't there and it's all fake, and they'd probably still support him.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Marv

Post by Marv »

Yep, bit like the idiots who will blindly vote Conservatives at the next election.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Marv wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:49 am Yep, bit like the idiots who will blindly vote Conservatives at the next election.
its not hard, there needs to be a credible alternative or people will simply vote for the lesser of two evils/the devil they know.

Sadly there hasn't been a credible alternative - there's been Hilary Clinton and Corbyns Labour.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The last UK & US elections have been won by people who knew how to play the game better and we ended up with leaders woefully ill equipped for the job. People who want to be in power just to be there.
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:27 am
Marv wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:49 am Yep, bit like the idiots who will blindly vote Conservatives at the next election.
its not hard, there needs to be a credible alternative or people will simply vote for the lesser of two evils/the devil they know.

Sadly there hasn't been a credible alternative - there's been Hilary Clinton and Corbyns Labour.
Yep that's a bit of a ironic comment as its implied in tone that he'd vote for anyone but them with no definitive assurance of who will be leading either party in 2024 or what their policies would be. Probably Starmer on the Labour side but likely not Johnson for the Conservatives I would have thought. Right at the moment I expect the cons would be better doing a Blair-Brown style transition to Sunak before the next election.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

GG. wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:45 am

Yep that's a bit of a ironic comment as its implied in tone that he'd vote for anyone but them with no definitive assurance of who will be leading either party in 2024 or what their policies would be. Probably Starmer on the Labour side but likely not Johnson for the Conservatives I would have thought. Right at the moment I expect the cons would be better doing a Blair-Brown style transition to Sunak before the next election.
You reckon? Surely Boris will cling on to power like Trump is?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

GG wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:02 amRight at the moment I expect the cons would be better doing a Blair-Brown style transition to Sunak before the next election.
Because that went well when labour did it.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It's not even about that in the US. There could be a perfectly credible alternative but that wouldn't matter to the Trump supporters. It's more akin to the Labour and Conservative voters of old I'd say - doesn't matter what either party did, their voters would blindly only vote the way they always had because they couldn't conceive of voting the opposite.

Even then, that's still not really the same - it's specifically Trump they support, no matter what he does. If a leader of any party in this country did even a fraction of what he's done, they'd be out and with little support from the public.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:02 am
GG. wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:45 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:27 am its not hard, there needs to be a credible alternative or people will simply vote for the lesser of two evils/the devil they know.

You reckon? Surely Boris will cling on to power like Trump is?
Nah - Boris doesn't crave power imo, just attention. I imagine he doesn't really like the hard work that goes with being PM - no way he'll stay on. He'll "get Brexit done" and then hot foot it out of there.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:09 am Nah - Boris doesn't crave power imo, just attention. I imagine he doesn't really like the hard work that goes with being PM - no way he'll stay on. He'll "get Brexit done" and then hot foot it out of there.
Maybe, but I always thought BoJo wanted his Churchillian legacy. I don't think he can get that with only one term. Good point about it being too much like hard work though! :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:06 am
GG wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:02 amRight at the moment I expect the cons would be better doing a Blair-Brown style transition to Sunak before the next election.
Because that went well when labour did it.
The comparison was only intended to refer to the mid term transition with no leadership contest rather than the characters of the two individuals. :lol:

I agree with Merv - Boris will have steered the country through Brexit and a global pandemic plus a trip to the ICU to boot and has already (in his mind i'm sure) proved himself by winning a landslide majority. He'll not be keen on staying for the sake of it I don't think and I wouldn't let people drawing false equivalence between Trump and Johnson on account of their hair colour lead you into thinking they are remotely alike in reality.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

GG. wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:57 am
I agree with Merv - Boris will have steered the country through Brexit and a global pandemic
I don't think the evidence is there for either of those claims yet :lol:
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

I don't disagree but I am hoping both will be history by the time 2024 rolls around - for all of our sakes!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:05 am
GG. wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:57 am
I agree with Merv - Boris will have steered the country through Brexit and a global pandemic
I don't think the evidence is there for either of those claims yet :lol:
Steering badly is still steering... :lol:

Starmer has the capability of swaying my vote next time out but he still has more to do...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:14 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:09 am Nah - Boris doesn't crave power imo, just attention. I imagine he doesn't really like the hard work that goes with being PM - no way he'll stay on. He'll "get Brexit done" and then hot foot it out of there.
Maybe, but I always thought BoJo wanted his Churchillian legacy. I don't think he can get that with only one term. Good point about it being too much like hard work though! :lol:
I thought he’d have a bit more pith and vinegar about him. He does look utterly wrecked but I don’t know how much of that is the Brexit/Covid double whammy or the fact he caught it.

I’d have some more respect for him if he came back and said I need a few more weeks, I’m knackered.

Dave!