Automotive First - Driven - EV

GG.

Re: Automotive First - Driven - EV

Post by GG. »

Apparently that's because Lord Elon has dictated that the first ones produced should be the higher spec (and more expensive) models, until production is closer to full capacity and for financial reasons. So basically you have to have an expensive one because his company is shit, overstretched itself hopelessly and can't afford to produce the low cost model they sold everyone on.

IMHO you'd need to be a special kind of stupid to buy a T3 @ 60k instead of this https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... =M5&page=1 and £13k on fuel. That is, unless you're only car buying criterion is carbon emissions. You can't even add "0-60 times" to that list as the BMW is faster.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The price of driving a fast dirty BMW - £47,000.

The price of saving the planet - priceless.
How about not having a sig at all?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Nope: the price of "saving the planet"* = £60k**

*Not really saving the planet as the electricity still has to come from somewhere which is likely as not at the moment not-renewable and at the cost of raping the earth for more raw earth materials for batteries.
**Plus having "I love Elon" tattoed on your buttocks so everyone in the club can identify you as a co-acolyte.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I’d quite like an electric car. Actually, ideally Bryony would have one as her company car

Annoyingly, there’s no sensible way we could charge one at home, so it’s not really possible at the moment
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

I guess rather predictably I'll bite regarding the Zoe. I think they look fine, at least for a relatively small 5-door car (which is always a compromise). Dare I whisper it but I really don't like the looks of the 997....so let's just say looks are subjective. At least the Zoe doesn't have to shout "I'm an EV" with the design like others.

There are some design 'features' that are less brilliant 'cos Renault' - like the fact snow falls in the car when you open the door as it catches on the roof rubber and the side slopes inward toward the top. Or that the side sills get covered in crap as the doors don't have a bottom skirt rubber. It's made to a certain price point after all.

FWIW you can get a 41kwh lease battery car via carwow for around 11.5-12.5k depending on spec, and a battery-owned car for about 5k more. Does anyone actually pay list for a Renault? That said, prices, new & used, have hardened recently as demand has ramped up. I could sell ours for what we paid for it 7 months/5k ago (yes, big whoop).

I do think, as someone accurately observed on the FB group, folks need to give an EV a try before bad-mouthing it. For what we use it for - a 35-mile a day round-trip commute, 1 mile round trip to the leisure centre, 0.5 mile round-trip to the supermarket, 1 mile round-trip to cubs/RDA - you get the idea - it's absolutely perfect. An EV as second car makes absolute perfect sense for us, with a diseasal for longer trips/holidays, and a classic in the garage.

Cheers,
Jon
scotta

Post by scotta »

TLGP update. I got amusingly thumped last night by a Nissan Leaf driving Nefs XJR. Had I forseen it happen I’d have given the cat the big stick but when it happened I thought back to driving the Zoe and smiled to myself.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Meh, he probably cooked his battery some more by gunning it :)