Don't watch the World Cup!!! Boycott it!! Um... why?

drcarlos

Re: Don't watch the World Cup!!! Boycott it!! Um... why?

Post by drcarlos »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:40 am indeed...

The early VAR call in Qatar's favour was a nervy moment... :shock: Commentators were speechless

I see that the Powers that Be have bullied teams into not wearing the "One Love" arm band. Immediate booking which means if Harry Kane wore it today and against the USA, he's miss the crucial Wales game.

Be interesting to see what Denmark do as they were planning to be pretty hardcore on their protests.
It will be.

Most virtue signals go out the window where money is concerned.

At the end of the day they have a responsibility to their corporate overlords to progress as far as possible so that sponsorship deals are fulfilled and they can't be sued for contract breaches.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:40 am indeed...

The early VAR call in Qatar's favour was a nervy moment... :shock: Commentators were speechless

I see that the Powers that Be have bullied teams into not wearing the "One Love" arm band. Immediate booking which means if Harry Kane wore it today and against the USA, he's miss the crucial Wales game.

Be interesting to see what Denmark do as they were planning to be pretty hardcore on their protests.
Yes, I was surprised when the BBC said he'd be wearing it - "nae chance" was my immediate reaction.Presumably that's classed as a political slogan given where they are playing. Wear it and get booked I say. At least that would cause some sort of headline that FIFA couldn't get away from. I see they've contacted broadcasters to say they should concentrate on the football.

It's a very interesting change in how World Cups normally go, whereby Fifa gets whatever they ask for. Yet here, the host country are pushing back.
Cheers,

Mike.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Ascender wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:08 pm Yet here, the host country are pushing back.
"It's not gay if you don't push back."
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

WHo else is 'working' through the England Iran game?

WTAF is going on with that goalie?? He should have been off the pitch quarter of an hour ago. Now they're stretehering him?!? WTAF?
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Couldn't possibly comment on that... (I'm not sure how he wasn't off immediately after that, nasty).

Also watching the FIFA programme on Netflix is worthwhile, see a lot of the corruption and how this World Cup came about. Johnny Harris on YouTube has a couple of interesting videos on it as well.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

14 minutes of added-on time!
Cheers,

Mike.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Brannen wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:23 pm Couldn't possibly comment on that... (I'm not sure how he wasn't off immediately after that, nasty).

Also watching the FIFA programme on Netflix is worthwhile, see a lot of the corruption and how this World Cup came about. Johnny Harris on YouTube has a couple of interesting videos on it as well.
I'll have to check that out, I assume that it covers the $1million bribe that they deemed was OK because it was only one person?
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

It covers a lot to do with the regional powers, the ExCo and bribes. I was surprised Sepp Blatter was on it and being interviewed throughout the 4 episodes. Definitely interesting but doesn't shine them in glory!
Beany

Post by Beany »

FIFA seems to handle more brown envelopes than a post office.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Saka has an incredible skill at threading the ball through lots of people and players to find the net
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I for one am shocked to see people taking about kickball on this forum. :D

Bloody annoying to try and watch when you work with colleagues from other countries!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

:twisted:
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:03 pm You’ve never seemed like you needed an excuse broccers
No excuse needed to see friends, no 😂

Decent start. 🍺
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Argies not having a good day
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I love how on the couple of games I've watched the official attendances are way higher than the stadium capacities even though the stadiums are not full. :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Two cracking goals from Saudi! Imagine being a goal down against Messi and bringing home a win! 😂
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:41 am I love how on the couple of games I've watched the official attendances are way higher than the stadium capacities even though the stadiums are not full. :lol:
You couldn't make it up... The directors have clearly also been told to not show empty seats, but there's so many that it's impossible not to!

I've got the games playing off to the side of my main screen - I was doubting myself that the Argentinians did have three goals disallowed in the first half.
Cheers,

Mike.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I haven't seen any coverage at all, TBH it was only when this thread popped up, I realised the WC had started. So, is it farcical reffing then or just the governing bodies and broadcasters telling us water id dry?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Games all looked busy to me.

Anyway it's nice to watch while working and not paying 14 quid a beer.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »