Twitter

Wibblewobblebeepgaggawacka

1. Its time to leave teh Twitter
No votes
2. I’ll stick it out and see what changes
38%
3. It’s blusterpish as usual. It’s not going to change noticeably.
10%
4. I don’t care, I don’t use Twitter.
21%
5. I don’t care.
26%
6. I just like to wash my hair, and go.
No votes
7. I’ve seen a horse fly
No votes
8. I’ve seen a dragon fly
No votes
9. I’ve seen an elephant fly
No votes
10. My old man’s a dustman
5%

Total votes: 39

Mito Man

Re: Twitter

Post by Mito Man »

People really don't like paying for something which was once free. It's not like Xbox Gamepass either where you get a bunch of free stuff. Ok your tweets get priority but beyond a few influencer type narcissists who really cares? They've lost far more in ad revenue by having the company bought out by Elon than they will gain through this. I predict it will continue making a loss until either a) Elon sacks enough people so that it just about struggles on to breakeven but still declines in popularity or b) he gets bored and sells for peanuts.

In the meantime I can see Zuckerberg frothing in excitement waiting for Twitter to go fully tits up before he announces that you can post text on Instagram. That will be Twitter fvcked overnight.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Something something a non-insignificant part of the Twitter deal was a non-insignificant amount of Tesla shares. the number 40% has been mentioned, but I'm not entire sure where.

If Twitter shits itself, Tesla has problems too. If Tesla stock goes down, Twitter has problems, etc.

It's interesting in ways that I can't quite get my head around :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah I don’t really understand it either, the interesting thing to me though is that Tesla stock performance is so closely ties to public perception of Musk himself that if he goes off the deep end over twitter it could crash everything.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Have they confirmed the amount of bots that were on there yet ? As it’s widely accepted that the Twitter folk lied like mad about them but I’ve seen them say 5% and must say 80% so I’m guessing it’s somewhere in the middle.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I always assumed the bot thing was projection tbh. Musk is so desperate to be a hero to the kind of arseholes that whinge about shadow banning or whatever that he gets suckered into whatever mad conspiracy they’re all jumping on.

There are bots but I’ve never noticed them be an issue, they’re usually easy to spot.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

V8Granite wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:27 pm Have they confirmed the amount of bots that were on there yet ? As it’s widely accepted that the Twitter folk lied like mad about them but I’ve seen them say 5% and must say 80% so I’m guessing it’s somewhere in the middle.

Dave!
Musks own researchers found numbers between 5-10% IIRC. In line iwth twitters own numbers.

Which funnily didn't come out till they were forced to by the courts right at teh end of the 'but I won't wannnnaaaa' stage of the lawsuit.

One of the reasons why Musk had to go through with the sale - the arguments he had to back out were basically baseless.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Should get him in to sort out council/gvt staffing :lol:

It's savage but I doubt he would have done out of spite. The man is either very lucky or a genius, maybe a bit of both.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, such a genius. Thread.

drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

They are all going down the shitter. Facebook are going to be laying off thousands this week. They say it's all over the metaverse but I cant see that as anything but gaslighting. They've lost user trust and therefore engagement, now advertising has turned from big business to shitty small time listicles as the big accounts pull the plug, so that has to be a large part of the problem that they can't mention.

Also with layoffs, having worked for a big American outfit they pull this shit all the time. People will be met with security guards on a Friday am and told to clear out there and then. We'd often turn up to calls where the organiser had been rif'd that day and wasn't there. They also quite often pull one or two back when they realised they been a bit hasty. With the way their employment market works it's just a thing but very alien or obsurd to us Europeans. With no laws protecting them it's very easy to have new role in less than a week. It's because there is less risk on taking someone on financially people take chances on hires as they can just be let go easily if they don't work out.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

He’s started suspending people who’re making fun of him. So much for the free speech guardian :lol:
An absolute unit
tim

Post by tim »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:48 am He’s started suspending people who’re making fun of him. So much for the free speech guardian :lol:
Such as?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Kathy Griffin for one.

It used to be if you impersonated someone you'd get a temp restriction, believe now it's a perma ban. And any display name change = no blue tick.

Which has only started since people started ripping Musk.
MuskBans.jpg
MuskBans.jpg (239.89 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Beany wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:59 am Kathy Griffin for one.

It used to be if you impersonated someone you'd get a temp restriction, believe now it's a perma ban. And any display name change = no blue tick.

MuskBans.jpg
Private platform, he can do what he likes.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

No one said he couldn’t, it’s just funny to watch his paper thin skin crack in full view like this.
An absolute unit
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Only a few hours ago, everyone on Twitter was wetting their pants about the idea that people would be able to impresonate someone else, simply by paying $8 a month. Now Musk has brought in strict rules around impersonating others and you're all laughing at him? This is exactly what everyone wanted - assured user identities for blue ticks!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I genuinely can't tell if you're on the wind up here Gav :lol:
An absolute unit
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Not joking at all. Penalties for hiding behind false identities is one of the things that we need on social media.
mik

Post by mik »

Gavster wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:15 am Only a few hours ago, everyone on Twitter was wetting their pants about the idea that people would be able to impresonate someone else, simply by paying $8 a month. Now Musk has brought in strict rules around impersonating others and you're all laughing at him? This is exactly what everyone wanted - assured user identities for blue ticks!
You're kinda right, but I think people are just :roll: -ing at the absurdity of his "plans" splattering out real-time.

Musky: "You will soon need to pay $20 per month for a verified account"
Stevieking: "Fuckoff"
Musky: "no I meant $8"
Human: "People will be able to pay to pretend to be someone else"
Musky: "no. I...." minions, what do we do here? We can shoot anyone who tries this yeah? Mercuh! We can't shoot them? OK "permanent ban for anyone who creates a parody account or changes their name"
Human: "what if I open an account as Mr Mik McSlabbercabbege and realise I mis-spelled my real surname McSlabbercabbage
Musky: minions, we can shoot people like this yeah? Mercuh!.... we can't shoot them either? FFS I have a brain the size of a planet and I can't...ok then. "Temporary ban!"
Human: "How long for?"
Musky: "6 months!"
Human "6 months?"
Musky: "I meant, erm.... one month?"

etc etc
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:03 am
Beany wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:59 am Kathy Griffin for one.

MuskBans.jpg
Private platform, he can do what he likes.
So someone pretending to be someone else is banned, is that not pretty sensible ?

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Twitter already had that though, he's spat the dummy because people are making fun of him.
An absolute unit