Harry’s Garage

mik

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by mik »

The car had been trailered to the workshop - I suspeft that Iain hadn’t already taken it out for a listen and deemed it “very bad” but then had to go back out with Harry to get it on film.

#comspiracytheories
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:59 pm The car had been trailered to the workshop - I suspeft that Iain hadn’t already taken it out for a listen and deemed it “very bad” but then had to go back out with Harry to get it on film.

#comspiracytheories
You're a very suspeftious person Mik. 😁
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

With all due respect to Harry but his hearing may well be completely shagged.

Reading his comments on the PH thread "The gearbox whine has been there since I first owned the car in 2010. I didn't think it was that serious as every other Countach I've driven has had a noisy gearbox. What has changed recently is that slight knocking sound you heard as we were leaving Iain's workshop, which you can just hear in 2nd and 3rd gear as low speeds, and that's why I'm having the gearbox rebuilt now."

slight I don't know about anyone else but terrifying cacophony would be a more apt description to me.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

nuttinnew wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:39 pm
Kingsley know their market, but a classic Range Rover is never a £170k car!

My dad ran no.14 of the last 25 made as a daily driver from 1998-2002. It was amusing for a few minutes how much speed you could carry on a smooth back road on skinny tyres, but the main high point of the car was as a relaxing cruiser. I don't know why you'd drop the air suspension - just put high quality shocks on it.
We met Overfinch (when they were still a propery engineering outfit) in Birmingham and drove their demo car with everything thrown at it (including the bitsa Chevy engine and gearbox) and the main improvements were not the performance and handling, but the padded armrest, quicker steering box and the secondary door seals. I see Kinglsey have copied the seals.

Surely this can't cost more than £80k plus a donor to put together? It's not as if they've used a low mileage car.

Bramley have no.12 in stock for £90k, which has undergone a £50k restoration at Kingsley -
https://www.bramley.com/carsales/detail ... /14061.htm
That's the true value of the car.
Last edited by Jimexpl on Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Bramley’s pricing always looks a bit mad to me, so I’d say that’s the upper bound of what might be considered true value.

Always hated that design of alloys too. At least they can be changed easily.
mik

Post by mik »

I haven’t watched the vid, I am not a expert on RR, and I know the market is still nuts, but £90k for that seems utterly ludicrous. :? :?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that (in my head) exists in the "£10-15k for a really good one" market.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

They're getting to be real classic age now though. I know that if I had the money I'd be interested in a Singer style resto Mod of a Classic, maybe a three door over a five door though.
An absolute unit
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

In their own way they're just as classy as your £170k classic Merc Pagoda SL etc.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I like the old 2 door ones - they seem like they have proper classic status. but the 4 doors ones from the 80-90s don't do a lot for me.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I prefer the looks of the three door but they're almost Defender levels of agricultural. The later ones are much nicer cars to use, even if they've forever been tarred with the Essex Boys association :lol:
An absolute unit
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

speedingfine wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:16 am In their own way they're just as classy as your £170k classic Merc Pagoda SL etc.
Much like a classic Range Rover, a Pagoda drives like a floaty barge and has a very average automatic gearbox. I dealt with a few when I was in classic cars full time (when a mint one was £90-125k) and they always disappointed.

They do look pretty though, but as a classic weekend open top toy there are far better options like a Dino Spider or save a chunk and get something Alfa.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Jimexpl wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:01 pm
speedingfine wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:16 am In their own way they're just as classy as your £170k classic Merc Pagoda SL etc.
Much like a classic Range Rover, a Pagoda drives like a floaty barge and has a very average automatic gearbox. I dealt with a few when I was in classic cars full time (when a mint one was £90-125k) and they always disappointed.

They do look pretty though, but as a classic weekend open top toy there are far better options like a Dino Spider or save a chunk and get something Alfa.
I wanted an SL280 when they were about £30k for a good working example. Fine with it being a floaty barge with a slow auto box at that price. Unfortunately they appreciated out of reach by the time I had the money to buy one at £30k!
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:57 am Yeah, that's the sort of thing that (in my head) exists in the "£10-15k for a really good one" market.
That’s better

V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

mik wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:21 am I haven’t watched the vid, I am not a expert on RR, and I know the market is still nuts, but £90k for that seems utterly ludicrous. :? :?
I think one fully gone over by a place near me sold for 230k or 260k.

A few things from that video though is the Rover V8 never idled high in the ones I’ve been in, 900rpm at most and the P38 didn’t roll on quite as much as Harry mentions, it doesn’t quite seem right. Also the rattles, surely that’s fixable for the money being asked, it didn’t even have sound deadening under the bonnet and those rear speakers could be far better intergrated.

Dave!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I fell asleep half way through the video when I watched it on Sunday. Finished watching last night. Fuck me, all that money and the suspension doesn't work properly?! I don't think this is a very good ad for Kingsley. Harry may say it's bespoke so you can set it up as you want, but why didn't they let him drive one set up properly? That must be how they set it up for 'sporty' road driving (though without road-biased tyres, odd) so it's definitely Kingsley's responsibility to make sure it doesn't hit the bump stops.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, I sort of assumed they'd have checked out Harry's videos and seen the streets of roads he goes on.

That said, maybe that was the only car they had available and they figured better to get eyes on what they do.

Who knows?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

There's no urgency to giving Harry a car to test - it's not like it's newly launched.
scotta

Post by scotta »

If you're spending £170k why not go full restomod and fit the 5.0L supercharged unit - or even the 4.2 V8 diesel.