Page 10 of 11

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:51 am
by Gavster
dinny_g wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:37 am Tik Tok is surprisingly addictive.

I blame the algorithms - too bloody effective at bringing up relevant stuff... :lol:
It seems to have a direct line to our subconscious :shock: some of the stuff that appears on my FYP is "how did you know that I'd like this?!?!"

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:01 am
by dinny_g
:lol:

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2026 8:30 pm
by dinny_g
Not quite DSLR but best thread I can think where else to post this…

I bought myself something I’ve been looking for for years. A Vest Pocket Kodak Model B.

I found it in the Vintage Shop in Newport. I’ve been checking their vintage cameras for years but this is the first time they’ve had it.

I’ve wanted it because it’s the camera Mallory carried up Everest in 1922 - the one he ‘might’ have taken a summit picture

I hope it’s working (I need to give it the once over) but even if it doesn’t! I freaking love it…

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2026 1:29 am
by KiwiDave
Pics please!

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2026 9:17 am
by dinny_g
Amazon Pics is playing silly buggers again so library pic - the condition of mine is very similar

Image

I need to have a proper look at it but mechanically, it seems fine - Shutter release works perfectly as does the "Timed or Instantaneous" option (the T & I at the top)

I think I just need to source a 127 roll and try it out because as you no doubt know - it's the baffles that are most likely to be a problem. Any light and you're screwed.

As an aside, mine has the little Pen too - this allows you to slide a little slot on the back and write on the negative which is very cool :)

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2026 10:17 am
by Mito Man
That’s cool and handy that it takes film which is still available. Old stuff made before plastic was invented is pretty crazy.

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2026 10:57 am
by dinny_g
Absolutely - it's probably over 100 years old.

I'm not that concerned really if it works - that would be a bonus to be honest. It's more of an ornament and probably the first step on a ruinous Vintage Camera collection.

Next on my list would be a Kodak Brownie box camera as used by Vivian Maier

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2026 7:32 am
by KiwiDave
That's beautiful in its own right. Congrats.

I've found the temptation to own some old cameras quite significant, but I have enough photography shit as it is without adding more to it for the sake of being pretty. Let's say I'm a little envious. ;)

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2026 8:17 am
by mik
dinny_g wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2026 8:30 pm bought myself something I’ve been looking for for years. A Vest Pocket Kodak Model B.
I file vintage cameras in my “very cool, but I have zero use for” bucket.

I’ve had a fiddle with a 40’s/50’s (Polaroid) Land Camera and (since the general layout / bellows design looks similar) assumed this was similar in size. Which it isn’t of course…. It’s a tiny wee thing.

Nice. 8-)


Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2026 10:28 am
by JonMad
Very cool.

The oldest camera I have is my Dad's Voightlander from about 1959.
https://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vitomatic_I

It's in a case (not shown here). Here I got it working with a modern flash for some portrait stuff, using a PC Sync cable to connect.
Screenshot 2026-06-09 at 10.22.48.png
Screenshot 2026-06-09 at 10.22.48.png (249.01 KiB) Viewed 3241 times
I also have a Canon EOS620 film SLR that works with all the lenses I use on my DSLR, and an Olympus Mju-1 film point and shoot

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2026 10:37 am
by dinny_g
Yeah I have a 620 too but I really don't use it enough.

I did a load of B&W shots during Covid but I'm really not good at light levels. I keep seeing adds on Instagram for a Light Meter Watch which may be the answer

That Voightlander is awesome... 8-)

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2026 11:53 am
by JonMad
I have a Sekonic L-308S light meter for when I'm using flash, or just use another camera (DSLR or Ricoh GRII) for metering, if just using ambient light.

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2026 12:50 pm
by dinny_g
Nice - there are a few digital ones looking for start funding on Readit.

I think this is lovely but it's only an AI Mock-up - however, if developed, take my monies...

Image

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2026 1:47 pm
by JonMad
ahh, that would be 8-)

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 5:37 pm
by tim
I did my first camera gear upgrade in years on Friday, purchased from WEX a lightly used Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS USM lens to go with my 70-200 L series.

I've been going to Duxford a fair bit this last 18 months as I bought a joint membership for me and Vicky, and we like a wander around a nature reserve of a Sunday. The 200 end isn't quite long enough.

I'm really pleased with this purchase tho - was at Duxford yesterday for the Battle of Britain season finale and despite the bleak sky got some pretty decent pics I think of the Red Arrows and Typhoon display.

My Flickr is here for those that like planes https://www.flickr.com/photos/204914760@N06/albums

Next stop is I think to upgrade my EOS 450D to lightly used 7D Mark II.

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 6:43 pm
by mik
tim wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2026 5:37 pm

My Flickr is here for those that like planes https://www.flickr.com/photos/204914760@N06/albums
Particularly liked the Typhoon and Lightning pics 😎

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 7:09 pm
by tim
Cheers Mik.

That's a Mig 17-F :D

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 7:23 pm
by mik
Fuck me <rubs glasses> it doesn’t even have a pointy nose.

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 7:39 pm
by Beany
tim wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2026 5:37 pm
Next stop is I think to upgrade my EOS 450D to lightly used 7D Mark II.
Good pics!

I keep getting the same urge, thinking that if I get a new body, I'll start using the camera, but I think it'd make more sense to get back into using the 40D, and then presuming I get back into it, then upgrade. Otherwise I'll just be sitting there with a newer, fancier body, and still not using it...

Re: The DSLR thread

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 11:17 am
by JonMad
Great pics Tim. My brother=in-law takes some great aircraft shots. He's at Shuttleworth a lot.

When my 40D broken I went to a 100D as it was cheap. Whilst the quality is about the same, if not better, the usability is poor compared to the 40D. I really fancy a 5/6/7D of some kind.