Your fleet running reports

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:51 pm
@Jobbo Battery Megastore offer a range of 1 option (Yuasa) for my car..... :?
@mik Won't this Varta also fit? https://www.bmstechnologies.co.uk/produ ... r-battery/
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:00 pm
mik wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:51 pm
@Jobbo Battery Megastore offer a range of 1 option (Yuasa) for my car..... :?
@mik Won't this Varta also fit? https://www.bmstechnologies.co.uk/produ ... r-battery/
Dunno. That is an 067 type where as the Evora takes an 068.

If I search for 068 batteries, they sell more than one, but if I put in my reggie it shows one option only. Weird.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I couldn't find which shape/orientation battery the Evora takes so I guess their database isn't up to speed either. The Varta I found appears to be £1 cheaper when delivery is included than buying the same thing from Tayna. I've always found both to be great, anyway.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Those automatic battery checkers are quite hit and miss. Usually they get the group right but tend to simplify it to AGM for cars with stop start and regular lead acid for everything else.
My Defender needs a new battery as it's on the original 11 year old one and recently the alarm goes off whenever it's cranking over until it fires up. Probably some genius Land Rover design to tell you it's a low battery whilst wasting what precious little voltage it has. The original battery is just a Land Rover brand with no details apart from a part number but looking online on the special one make forums it's apparently an AGM Varta Leisure battery which is ...odd.
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Picked up the Golf late afternoon. Drove home in eco mode by mistake then couldn't find the mode button to try any different modes, it was cleverly hidden behind the stick! :D

Managed 35 mpg, filled huge tank which must only be 50 litres so a lot smaller than the Merc. Found race mode with g meter etc, not sure that will ever be used but the race mode made me laugh out loud. It is no faster than the TT I don't think but it certainly sounds faster.

Car handles really well for an estate but it quite relaxed when cruising, overall very happy.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

mik wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:51 pm Stop/start never worked in my son's 2013 Civic since he picked it up - realised it was a crappy generic-brand non-AGR battery installed. Got a new (correct) one and after a couple of days it started working properly.
The stop/start never worked in my last Clubman. I deliberately didn't fix it, I find it really annoying in the wife's car and always turn it off !
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Straight sale of the Vito agreed quite quickly now it's got an MOT, @ asking price, but I'm putting new discs & pads on. Meh. Due to be collected later this week.
mik

Post by mik »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:46 am
mik wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:51 pm Stop/start never worked in my son's 2013 Civic since he picked it up - realised it was a crappy generic-brand non-AGR battery installed. Got a new (correct) one and after a couple of days it started working properly.
The stop/start never worked in my last Clubman. I deliberately didn't fix it, I find it really annoying in the wife's car and always turn it off !
I half agree - it annoys me when it activates at an inopportune moment, but I am quite happy for it to activate when the vehicle is (or is going to be) stopped for any length of time. And that it very difficult for any system to judge….
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gavin wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:23 am Picked up the Golf late afternoon. Drove home in eco mode by mistake then couldn't find the mode button to try any different modes, it was cleverly hidden behind the stick! :D

Managed 35 mpg, filled huge tank which must only be 50 litres so a lot smaller than the Merc. Found race mode with g meter etc, not sure that will ever be used but the race mode made me laugh out loud. It is no faster than the TT I don't think but it certainly sounds faster.

Car handles really well for an estate but it quite relaxed when cruising, overall very happy.
what golf is it?
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:49 am Straight sale of the Vito agreed quite quickly now it's got an MOT, @ asking price, but I'm putting new discs & pads on. Meh. Due to be collected later this week.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325555541310 ... media=COPY
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

16vCento wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:39 am https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325555541310
It's not very silver.

Is it worth considering a petrol ? (non-Grand Edition)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385463973552
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

There's timing chain issues that affect the petrol ones, and injector 'black death' that affect the diesel ones.

So, do you want to get oily, or buy more tools appears to be the question here.

Or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185441843330 ... R8KQmLvXYQ
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

16vCento wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:51 am So, do you want to get oily, or buy more tools appears to be the question here.
Rhetorical question ?? :lol:

I did two of the injectors on the Vito for the "Black Death" issue. I've done MINI cam chains but a V6 will be a lot more complicated. Does the V8 have cam chain issues too ?

I keep seeing CLS55 too, the supercharged engine has more torque, and lower down, than the NA CLS63 that came later. It sounds like my kind of thing but rust is worrying on early models.
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

From what I remember when I was looking at them, it could affect both V8 and V6 ones.

But as with anything, could be fine for 250000 miles.

There were bigger issues with ABS pumps on earlier ones, that seemed to be more of a problem than chains or injectors, and cost a fortune to put right (or it did 4 years ago).
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I didnt see any reports of rusty CLS's?

I thought they were all ok body wise from what I looked at.

I'd go AMG, the engines are supposedly very strong, are they hand-built?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details ... obcid=soc3
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

16vCento wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:59 am I didnt see any reports of rusty CLS's?
I thought it was that era of Merc generally ? Early Vitos definitely rust like crazy, up to about 2006-ish.

Yeah, that looks very nice. I like the wheels.

C66D5DD7-A207-4FD5-8641-AD5656872F40.jpeg
C66D5DD7-A207-4FD5-8641-AD5656872F40.jpeg (252.24 KiB) Viewed 442 times
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

That CLS55 is very nice.

I dont think I saw any listed issues about CLS rust at all tbh.

And I did a lot of digging!

I know a lot of early 2000 Mercs had rusted wheel arches and some seem to have issues with subframes rusting out, but the CLS when I looked didn seem to suffer at all, and the ones I looked at were all clean
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

OK, according to this it should be OK.

"Most Mercedes-Benz cars, CLS-Class included, made in 2003 and onward have improved corrosion protection (galvanized body). Mercedes-Benz finally got it right. Rust was a big problem with many Mercedes-Benz vehicles produced between 1993 and 2004. The CLS-Class cars were galvanized from the start of production."

https://stillrunningstrong.com/car-spec ... lass-c219/

2004 production could easily end up as 2005 registration, I've definitely seen rusty 05 reg Vitos.
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

A bit of a buyers guide from autocar which isn't much use, but recommends them;
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/used ... s-benz-cls

Evo seemed to like it;
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.evo.co ... -amg%3famp

When do you pick it up :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Stop/start on the Galaxy works fine, don't find it disruptive at all. But it is an older system and in a manual car, so only kicks in when the car is (nearly) stationary, in neutral and the clutch not depressed. Very easy to plan around.

I actually liked the Vauxhall version best. Engine didn't start until you came off the brake, so could be prepared for when the lights changed.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away